• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Legal advice

So I did some replacement windows for a friend, and He has paid me a small amount of the agreed upon price. This has been going on for a year and a half and I am ready to seek legal action. What should I do?

If the money is decent, hire a collections attorney and pay the contingency fee.

If that's not an option, you can always file pro se in small claims. Put together your exhibits and fight it out! Only do this if you think he has money, though. Getting judgment is Step 1.

Note that if you do secure a judgment in small claims court, that will be filed and become a lien against the guy's house. So when he goes to refinance or sell it, he'll have to pay you to clear title. If you had filed your mechanic's lien timely, you'd already be in that position (or close to it) but since you did not you have to go to court and get a judgment.

Typically to file a materialman's lien you have to file something of record within 90 days of when you last supplied goods or services to the property, depending on the state. So if you period has run, then that falls off the table.

I would first send him a demand letter via email and certified mail stating your claim and your intent to sue if he doesnt pay or set up payment arrangements within say 10-15 days of receipt. If he doesn't respond file an action in small claims court. You can usually download the forms (and sometimes even file) online. Google the small claims court for your county. If you are in a rural area, they usually have forms at the court.

Gather all your receipts, records and correspondence with the bum surrounding the job.

Back