• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Legends Luncheon at Tourny

bcobbdeacs

Reaction score
Was lucky to get to the Legend's Lunch Saturday before the Semi's to see Randolph inducted and have to relate one exchange that occurred;

Sharone Wright was the Clemson inductee and as he was being interviewed Mike Hogwood asked " When you were at Clemson the league was loaded with talent, who were some of the best players that you played against?"
Sharone responded "There were some good players in the league when I played but the best player I played against is sitting right over there at that table with me. Randolph Childress was the best player I played against. You know when you would play against Randolph after the first quarter of the game he would have 5 points or so and then all of the sudden he would just start going and the next thing you know the game is over and he has 25-30 points and is walking off the court with that big ol grin of his"
I have to admit I shed a tear after that discription. For some of you that never saw this in person you don't know what you missed, I'm talking about watching him play.

His performance against UNC in the Joel was the all-time greatest performance I've ever seen of ANY athlete.

If most of our younger board members could have only witnessed it, I think they would agree. SIX three-pointers in a row and one from almost half-court (not as time ran out but just because he couldn't miss).
Dean kept calling timeouts and things only got worse. And, we're not talking about a "bad year" for UNC. They were loaded with talent.

I've never seen an athlete, in any sport, completely take over a game like Randolph did that night. Unbelievable. He blew them OUT OF THE BUILDING.

If he had been healthy in the '95 NCAA's, I truly believe we could have been a Final Four team.

Last edited:
I imagine it must be hard for Randolph these days. Going from being the man on every possession to being a small cog in a larger corporate/athletic world cannot be easy. He seems to be handling it just fine but I can imagine being in that situation and I would not like it.

His performance against UNC in the Joel was the all-time greatest performance I've ever seen of ANY athlete.

If most of our younger board members could have only witnessed it, I think they would agree. SIX three-pointers in a row and one from almost half-court (not as time ran out but just because he couldn't miss).
Dean kept calling timeouts and things only got worse. And, we're not talking about a "bad year" for UNC. They were loaded with talent.

I've never seen an athlete, in any sport, completely take over a game like Randolph did that night. Unbelievable. He blew them OUT OF THE BUILDING.

If he had been healthy in the '95 NCAA's, I truly believe we could have been a Final Four team.

That UNC team went on to win the NCAA Tourney. Randolph just completely dominated them. I literally thought the roof was going to blow off Joel Coliseum. That was also the game that Rodney did his 360 dunk.

Greatest night in Wake sports history... I was 1 when we made the Final Four, so I can't speak to that.

Not only was it 6 3's in a row, but he did it all in less than 2 minutes! 18 points in 2 minutes! And if I remember correctly, he was also getting hammered during the game.
Chill had had the most competitive killer instinct that I've ever seen and once he got into his zone there was no stopping him.

I was a freshman in '92-'93 and didn't know how spoiled we were to have Randolph and Rodney in '92, and then Randolph and Timmy.

Back