• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Les Johns of Demon Deacon Digest - Reddit-style AMA on Wake Fall Camp

Given how Wolford and Hinton are both injury prone, does Newman look ready play?

Newman can play, but it's honestly a huge drop-off now vs a healthy Hinton or Wolford - but it should be at this point. Clawson indicated that were Newman the guy here when he first arrived, he'd be the starter much like Wolford was as a true freshman. The quarterback position right now looks pretty spectacular moving forward, with Hinton, Newman and Bowers all on campus and Hartman and Brendon Clark committed in the next two classes.

Best Foothills beer for watching us beat Louisville this season?

I like the development of Scotty Washington mostly because I think when you run long routes, you need a quality sub. We played Lewis so much last year, I think the CBs could cheat on him some when they saw how gassed he was and how unlikely he was to run a long route on the coming play.

That being said, the highlights I have seen don't show Washington using his length to go up and catch balls - he's run under well thrown balls. Is the staff over lavishing him with praise in order to prop up his ego so that he produces this year? Or he is producing in practice? Is it that or is Lewis still in the doghouse enough that they NEED Washington to be ready???

Also, what do you expect out of Dortch this year? And how do you see the running back rotation playing out?

The staff (and Washington himself) believe his bowl performance was his breakout moment. He's competed hard for jump balls in camp and has been one of the top stories of August. It wouldn't surprise me in the least for him to start over Lewis a week from now, though regardless those two will be sharing reps close to equally.

I don't think they are lavishing him with praise in order to prop him up, I think the praise has come because of the better production.

ALL THAT BEING SAID, if I want to be completely truthful with you folks I have to admit that I was also impressed with this group of wide receivers last fall in camp. . . then they never really produced in the way we all expected. I spoke specifically about that to with WR coach Kevin Higgins a couple days ago and he said the added experience will factor positively this season. We'll see.

Dortch will make us all say "wow" a bunch of times this fall - both as a WR and in special teams. There will also be times he's not a factor in a play where he could have been because he failed to line up right, he missed an assignment, or some other random freshman issue that goes over our collective head. He's still too inconsistent to play every down, according to what I've gathered from the staff.

RB back reps will likely be split pretty evenly, though I figure by the end of the year (barring injuries) Carney will have a few more.
My guess on carries?
Carney 39%
Colburn 31%
Byrd 22%
Others 8%

Serious question - who comes up with the stupid names for the linebacker positions that we've had over the years? Can't we just go with Strong, Middle, and Weakside like everyone else? Sam, Mike, and Will is dumb but entrenched. But Buck? Rover (Rogers or Naked weren't available?)? Didn't we have something like the Deaconbacker or similar at one point?

Serious question - who comes up with the stupid names for the linebacker positions that we've had over the years? Can't we just go with Strong, Middle, and Weakside like everyone else? Sam, Mike, and Will is dumb but entrenched. But Buck? Rover (Rogers or Naked weren't available?)? Didn't we have something like the Deaconbacker or similar at one point?

buck and rover weren't our creations

Barring injuries, does Beal redshirt? nvm, I see on the off season thread Clawson said he is "on red alert" for PT

Last edited:
chickens_talons.jpg

Les, how has Hines looked in camp? I thought he was our best receiver last season, but I cannot recall much mention of him thus far.

Do they make a bowl? I'm afraid we could be a better team this year and only win 4 or 5 games.

Though I'm confident Clawson will continue forward with the "one week season" mantra, it's obvious the schedule in general lays out a lot more difficult than last year. I think the Deacs will be improved, especially offensively, but it might be tough to end with the same or better record. I think they somehow get to six, but to do so they may have to beat someone unexpected (UL, for instance).

Cam had 30 catches all season. They barely threw the ball between the hashes. I'm pretty sure we threw 0 drag routes or crosses all year.

Cam was also hampered with a hamstring injury all season. Here's comments I got from Clawson on Cam Serigne a couple weeks ago: “He was a fraction of himself. He was never healthy, from the get-go. From camp, he never could open up. He just wasn’t healthy. I didn't say that last year, because I didn’t want the world to know he wasn’t healthy. If Cam had been healthy last year, we would have tried to get him the ball a lot more. But he wasn’t healthy. He couldn’t separate. He couldn’t run pass people. He was running at 60-70 percent all season. Not only was he hampered, but he was always worried he was going to pull it (hamstring), so he was always scared to open up. Now he can open up.”

Les - I took Cam Serigne as my TE in my college fantasy football draft last night. Good move or great move?

I'd say great move. Think he has his best season yet this year.

Almost exclusively shotgun. It takes special situations to be under center.

Like 3rd or 4th and less than 1? Ugh. Also curious about the 3 point stances. It's simple physics that it's easier to stay low and run block when your momentum is already going/leaning forward.

Cam was also hampered with a hamstring injury all season. Here's comments I got from Clawson on Cam Serigne a couple weeks ago: “He was a fraction of himself. He was never healthy, from the get-go. From camp, he never could open up. He just wasn’t healthy. I didn't say that last year, because I didn’t want the world to know he wasn’t healthy. If Cam had been healthy last year, we would have tried to get him the ball a lot more. But he wasn’t healthy. He couldn’t separate. He couldn’t run pass people. He was running at 60-70 percent all season. Not only was he hampered, but he was always worried he was going to pull it (hamstring), so he was always scared to open up. Now he can open up.”

I hope we can get enough depth that we could redshirt a player who we know isn't going to be anywhere close to a 100% all season.

Even after playing a season at 70%, he's still an NFL draft prospect. #ihopemyteamdraftshim #allyourcamsarebelongtous

Last edited:
I hope we can get enough depth that we could redshirt a player who we know isn't going to be anywhere close to a 100% all season.

Even after playing a season at 70%, he's still an NFL draft prospect. #ihopemyteamdraftshim #allyourcamsarebelongtous

Cam was not eligible to redshirt last year because he red-shirted as a freshman.

Back