• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Let's reflect on seldomly celebrated Deacs

Oh I've got another one - Erik "Zeus" Hanson. Zeus because he was a Greek god among men. Fantastic baseball player who not only had a legit career in MLB, but was one of best basketball players on campus, probably better than all but a handful of folks on the team (this was during Staak era).

always liked guy morgan for basketball and kelvin moses for football.

John "Yosh" Lewkowicz
Willie Griffin (as much range as any player we've ever had)
Eddie Payne
Mike Parrish
Anthony Teachey
Danny Young (was great but rarely spoken of anymore)
Jamaal Levy (as my buddy once remarked-Does he cover everybody?)

I think Niki was the guy I most hated to see transfer. Not because of his basketball skills, he just seemed like one of those guys you'd want to point at one day and say "yeah he's an alum". The whole "his uncle may be the pope one day" only added to his allure.

Agreed. It's a shame he isn't officially in the books as a Wake grad. Definitely a shame Odom couldn't use him and Josh well together.

Am partial to Chris King, who was a solid player for all four years, even got himself drafted. Robert Siler was another favorite, but injuries slowed him down.

I think Ben Coleman falls in the category of seldom celebrated.

Mike Rinfrette. Played wherever he was asked to play, and picked up the most important first down I've ever seen in a Wake football game.

Robert Siler. The best dunker ever at Wake Forest, even with tearing his ACL twice. He always played very hard on some very mediocre teams, never seemed to get his head down. He was a great guy off the court and he still is.

Maurice Miller. Played opposite Mike McCrary and was basically a coach on the field.

Back