• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Liberace movie on HBO because "too gay" for theaters

yeah, I can't imagine why this movie could possibly be considered too gay for major film distributors:

"The film does indeed have its share of gay love and intercourse, including a sweaty, grunting sequence in which Scott (played by Matt Damon) is taking Liberace from behind while the aging performer offers him drugs to take during sex."

That's just sexy talk.

http://boxofficemojo.com/yearly/chart/?yr=2010

You can change the year, but here's what you will find.

Top Grossing Biopic by year and ranking
2012 - Lincoln -19th
2011 - Money Ball #47 (if you call it one)
2010 - King's Speech #18 (but not a full biopoic-just a segment)
2009 - The Soloist #90
2008 Valkyrie #38 - if you call it one
2007 American Gangster #18

Most of these years don't have more than one or two in the Top 100 grossing.

but these films, however, are mostly dramas which usually don't do as well as their action/animated counterparts, which entirely comprise the top 10 and virtually the entire top 20 of those in your link. many still do well critically and clean up at awards time, so they will continue to get made. I wouldn't be surprised if Douglas and/or Damon won Emmys for this.

http://boxofficemojo.com/yearly/chart/?yr=2010

You can change the year, but here's what you will find.

Top Grossing Biopic by year and ranking
2012 - Lincoln -19th
2011 - Money Ball #47 (if you call it one)
2010 - King's Speech #18 (but not a full biopoic-just a segment)
2009 - The Soloist #90
2008 Valkyrie #38 - if you call it one
2007 American Gangster #18

Most of these years don't have more than one or two in the Top 100 grossing.

I see Lincoln as #13.

His show was more exciting than Andy Williams, Nat "King" Cole, Lawrence Welk or many others. Remember in the 50s, TV was basically vaudeville and music hall on the air. They no idea what people wanted nor did the public.

It was also new to writer, producers and director on how to write a show with commercials in it. That's a big reason why variety shows were ubiquitous.

This could be the most poorly written sentence you've ever sent over the intertubes.

Watching it now. Michael Douglas is fantastic.

How do those biopic numbers compare to other "nonfiction" films?

How do those biopic numbers compare to other "nonfiction" films?

The nature of good narrative probably makes a biopic much easier to create than some other historical fiction. It's tough to facilitate an audience attachment without a main character. Gettysburg and Gods & Generals are two that come to mind, and they were borderline biopics, especially Gods & Generals.

I saw this the other night and was dumbstruck about that time period and that generation- how could they not know Liberace was gay? And more importantly, how could they think that was entertainment? People actually watched Liberace on TV? What a snoozefest.

Do you have no imagination of any other time than the one you presently live in?

Do you have no imagination of any other time than the one you presently live in?

I can imagine that I think watching LIberace playing piano while wearing a huge mink coat and making corny jokes would be lame in any time period.

I can imagine that I think watching LIberace playing piano while wearing a huge mink coat and making corny jokes would be lame in any time period.

well, this is an age before irony and more than 3 channels

Honestly it was no worse than Brokeback at least when it comes to the sex shown

Back