• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Liberal intolerance in education

Haha, affirmative action for conservatives and evangelicals!? Cool with me--tomorrow I'll change my voter registration and head to church.

Either conservatives don't want to be surrounded by dirty hippie sociologists and anthropologists, or it's hard to reconcile the belief of many evangelicals that history begins 6,000 years ago and modern anthropological/historical/etc. thought.

Conservatives deride social sciences and academia in general then complain that they're underrepresented in academia while complaining about people who don't get a college education.

And as a black evangelical Christian sociology professor, I think George Yancey is grossly exaggerating.

Also, getting into religion and politics in the workplace causes a hell of a lot more headaches than it solves.

Obviously.

It's telling that they cite Richard Posner as an example when he rejected all of the illogical conservative justifications for prohibiting gay marriage and seeing a RFRA violation in forcing religious non-profits to affirmatively opt out of providing contraception. And while he upheld Wisconsin's voter ID law a decade ago, he later said that it was a mistake and that he never should have accepted the conservative arguments for it.

So basically one of the three people who the author holds up as an example of a smart conservative has acknowledged that many of the most prominent conservative talking points that dominate our politics are complete bullshit devoid of logic.

That's why I don't think it's inaccurate to say that truth has a liberal slant. Even the smart conservatives recognize it.

A No Crap The Magazine EXCLUSIVE: political polarization makes people less inclined to want to be around each other.

Next you're going to tell me rural areas are less accepting of liberal ideas.

I look forward to Wrangor's "Conservative intolerance in church" thread in which godless liberals complain about not being to get jobs in churches.

Yeah, discrimination and intolerance have become the hallmarks of liberalism in higher education. Thus, the liberals are undermining the foundations of a university, namely, free inquiry and the free exchange of ideas. Any criticisms of these dishonorable and destructive attitudes are brushed aside with shallow mendacious arguments such as we don't need any diversity of thought because our ideas are the best.

I look forward to Wrangor's "Conservative intolerance in church" thread in which godless liberals complain about not being to get jobs in churches.

You think a conservative Christian professor is the equivalent to an liberal atheist (godless) minister? That says a lot.

I posted the article because it seemed to be a pretty solid representation of what goes on the Tunnels (which I would say is some sort of fair replication of a higher education population). I Thought it was interesting and thought the liberal scorn towards conservative viewpoints to be especially accurate. The responses thus far seem to reinforce the article.

I didn't post it because Christians need pity. I just think that is the reality of our higher education system right now. If the polling in the article is inaccurate than Dispute it. But the responses so far have been exactly what the article predicted. The opponents have made it a personal attack and assigned a lower level of intelligence to anyone that has an opposing viewpoint.

Last edited:
You think a conservative Christian professor is the equivalent to an liberal atheist (godless) minister? That says a lot.

I posted the article because it seemed to be a pretty solid representation of what goes on the Tunnels (which I would say is some sort of fair replication of a higher education population). I Thought it was interesting and thought the liberal scorn towards conservative viewpoints to be especially accurate. The responses thus far seem to reinforce the article.

I didn't post it because Christians need pity. I just think that is the reality of our higher education system right now. If the polling in the article is inaccurate than Dispute it. But the responses so far have been exactly what the article predicted. The opponents have made it a personal attack and assigned a lower level of intelligence to anyone that has an opposing viewpoint.

So true. Ph appears to think that subscribing to liberal ideology is necessary for teaching in current higher education in the same way as believing in God is desirable for clergyman. That says a lot about the prejudices of today's humanities or so-called social sciences university professors.

No. I'm saying people whose beliefs self-select them out of professions shouldn't complain about underrepresentation. Republican policy tends to be anti-education and anti-science. People who subscribe to those beliefs aren't good candidates for "so-called" social science jobs.

No. I'm saying people whose beliefs self-select them out of professions shouldn't complain about underrepresentation. Republican policy tends to be anti-education and anti-science. People who subscribe to those beliefs aren't good candidates for "so-called" social science jobs.

Republicans self select themselves out of English and history jobs? Did you read the article?

Yes. Who makes fun of people for majoring in languages and humanities? Republicans. #knowyourparty

Like I said. The responses support the article/data. There is an illogical bias among liberals in education.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's nothing in the article about the numbers of evangelicals who apply for jobs, their qualifications or of they will teach their beliefs rather than the subject matter. Will the anthropology professor teach that becoming Christian will help indigenous people more than living in their historical culture?

Also does Bob Jones or Liberty U. hire liberals or atheists in the same percentage as they hire evangelicals? Does BYU? How about other Catholic or Christian universities?

How many of the people who said they wouldn't hire evengelicals have ever been in the position to hire someone?

It's a superficial article without any balance or context.

There's nothing in the article about the numbers of evangelicals who apply for jobs, their qualifications or of they will teach their beliefs rather than the subject matter. Will the anthropology professor teach that becoming Christian will help indigenous people more than living in their historical culture?

Also does Bob Jones or Liberty U. hire liberals or atheists in the same percentage as they hire evangelicals? Does BYU? How about other Catholic or Christian universities?

How many of the people who said they wouldn't hire evengelicals have ever been in the position to hire someone?

It's a superficial article without any balance or context.

You didn't read the article did you. Because if you did you wouldn't have written this post.

I did read the article. There's nothing about hiring at conservative universities.

"The discrimination becomes worse if the applicant is an evangelical Christian. According to Yancey’s study, 59 percent of anthropologists and 53 percent of English professors would be less likely to hire someone they found out was an evangelical."

This is exactly what I said. The article says "professors" not deans. Professors don't do the hiring.

"Some liberals think that right-wingers self-select away from academic paths in part because they are money-grubbers who prefer more lucrative professions. But that doesn’t explain why there are conservative math professors but not many right-wing anthropologists."

Did anyone do a study on how many RW anthropologists or sociologists there are? That's not mentioned. What if there are five times as many people who identify as liberal versus evangelical? If this is the case or even if it's 3-1, it means an evangelical is only 25% as likely to be hired with everything else being equal. This isn't addressed.

The qualifications aren't addressed either.

It's not mentioned as to how many or how many apply to be professors rather than going into other lines of work.

Those are just a few of the holes in the article.

Back