• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Libertarians On the Rise

Libertarians might be the only political group more out of touch with the reality of human society/civilization than communists.

eta: some of their principles are things I can agree with. But taken together as a whole, doesn't really work in the real world.

Hayek's Road to Serfdom is a pretty good read if interested. Or really, just the wikipedia page for it. There's a section on Hayek's take on the role of government.

Most any ideology or party platform, if followed to the letter 100% of the time, would be a disaster. Libertarianism is no exception.

Most any ideology or party platform, if followed to the letter 100% of the time, would be a disaster. Libertarianism is no exception.

If our nation followed even 40% of the Libertarians official platform, the economy would tank. There would be mass pollution problems. Segregation (not just racial but gender preference, religious and other forms) would be legal and widely practiced.

The above is just a start.

No doubt, although I think party platforms are a bit different than a statement of principles/ideology. Platforms seem to include more specifics about legislative action and such.

If our nation followed even 40% of the Libertarians official platform, the economy would tank. There would be mass pollution problems. Segregation (not just racial but gender preference, religious and other forms) would be legal and widely practiced.

The above is just a start.

Really? Fascinating. Explain why, exactly, all these things would come to pass. For instance, what do you think most Libertarians would do with the issue of gay marriage?

How do you propose the large corporation would just step in and take over your property in a Libertarian society?

They would use their power and resources to force me off and use my land.

Really? Fascinating. Explain why, exactly, all these things would come to pass. For instance, what do you think most Libertarians would do with the issue of gay marriage?

I gave several specifics earlier. There are others.

As to your feeble attempt at gotcha, libertarians are clearly for or agnostic on gay marriage. However, they also think it's OK for a hotel owner not to let a gay couple stay there.

They also think if a business doesn't want to hire a gay person or a black person or a Muslim, it's perfectly OK.

BDZ, Libertarians concepts on taxation, regulation of pollution, education and pay would be hugely harmful to our nation.

I gave several specifics earlier. There are others.

As to your feeble attempt at gotcha, libertarians are clearly for or agnostic on gay marriage. However, they also think it's OK for a hotel owner not to let a gay couple stay there.

They also think if a business doesn't want to hire a gay person or a black person or a Muslim, it's perfectly OK.

Feeble efforts are always more than enough to play "gotcha" with you, RJ.

And you've offered no specifics actually. You've just made several dumb pronouncements about what you think would happen. Hell, you've had to form in your own mind what the laws on the books would look like AND then also assumed you know what the resulting behaviors would be. Very impressive indeed.

Being an ineffective, arrogant prick comes so naturally to you.

Rand Paul has stated on national television that he would be OK with having laws that allowed people to discriminate in their businesses. It's also in the platform.

I'm sorry used specifics the platform and results in places that have similar laws rather than your hypothetical BS.

They would use their power and resources to force me off and use my land.

How so? Libertarianism is much more about private property rights and rule of law that our current regime. If I were you, I would be much more concerned with your local government thinking they could make more money off your land than you pay in taxes and taking it from you a la "emeinent domain" abuse. This is done, not from a libertarian perspective, but from a Dem/Pub perspective (mostly from Dem).

Being an ineffective, arrogant prick comes so naturally to you.

Rand Paul has stated on national television that he would be OK with having laws that allowed people to discriminate in their businesses. It's also in the platform.

I'm sorry used specifics the platform and results in places that have similar laws rather than your hypothetical BS.

What part of your definition of "discrimination" doesn't include giving people preferences over others for admission to public schools based solely on the color of their skin? Solely.

Last edited:
How so? Libertarianism is much more about private property rights and rule of law that our current regime. If I were you, I would be much more concerned with your local government thinking they could make more money off your land than you pay in taxes and taking it from you a la "emeinent domain" abuse. This is done, not from a libertarian perspective, but from a Dem/Pub perspective (mostly from Dem).

Why would I be concerned about local government in a Libertarian society?

DeacMan, with the guns they have a right to have in the Libertarian society. Who would stop them? The Libertarian government?

Why would I be concerned about local government in a Libertarian society?

DeacMan, with the guns they have a right to have in the Libertarian society. Who would stop them? The Libertarian government?

I would like to continue this, but your apparent understanding is on an RJ level (no offense).

Back