• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Lincoln

mmedeac

Reaction score
We saw it tonight and really enjoyed it. Daniel Day-Lewis has the Oscar sewn up for this one. Tommy Lee Jones might have it for Best Supporting Actor. Sally Field plays a very convincing Mary Todd Lincoln. Lots of humor by Lincoln. Wonderful glimpse into the struggle for the passage of the 13th Amendment. Pretty long movie, however.

Have't seen it yet, but this is what one of my friends told me:

Just saw Lincoln. Great movie, but not an entertaining movie. By that I mean, it was inspiring and smart, full of complicated characters brilliantly portrayed. It was edifying. I feel like a better person for having watched it, and I really want to learn more about that time in history. But it was also boring by typical movie standards. It expects a lot from its audience in terms of dealing with complex politics.

I'm fine with the last part of his comment, the movie is called Lincoln and it's a timepiece movie.

yeah, From his comments, I think he really liked the movie, but more from a "I like sitting down and watching PBS" standpoint instead of a "I have an afternoon to kill and want to see 'splosions" mindset.

I can't see how DDL gets an Oscar sounding like Derek Zoolander

So for the first time in 150 years Lincoln is doing okay in the theater.

I was really disappointed in the movie. There were so many scenes of Lincoln giving rousing speeches that it felt diluted. The political drama was not at all interesting. A 2 hour film that felt like 3 hours. Basically a history channel movie with better actors.

That said, DDL was fantastic. Should be in line for another Oscar.

Most interesting thing about the movie, aside from DDL, was the fact that every minor part was played by an awesome actor from a TV series -- Justified, Breaking Bad, Boardwalk Empire, Deadwood, Girls, etc. Dude walks by screen for 2 seconds and it's like, "wait, was that Lukas Haas?"

I saw it this afternoon and really enjoyed it. The top billed actors (DDL, Sally Field, and Tommy Lee Jones) were all great and will probably get Oscars.

Most interesting thing about the movie, aside from DDL, was the fact that every minor part was played by an awesome actor from a TV series -- Justified, Breaking Bad, Boardwalk Empire, Deadwood, Girls, etc. Dude walks by screen for 2 seconds and it's like, "wait, was that Lukas Haas?"

Haven't seen it yet, but isn't Lane Pryce from Mad Men also in it?

Saw the film over the weekend - DDL is absolutely stunning. There really isn't a proper way to describe his performance for those who haven't seen it. That said, its much more of an ensemble than a one-man show the way There Will Be Blood was - Jared Harris, David Stratharin (sp?), Tommy Lee Jones, JGL, and Sally Field all check-in with great performances. For me, James Spader stole the show.

It's also a deliberately-paced, gripping look at the final fight over the 13th Amendment and the Republicans' (!) efforts to get it passed, along with the delicate politics of negotiating with the South toward the conclusion of the war.

I saw it last week. Really enjoyed it and I think your friend's description is right on. If you are going in to see action scenes from the Civil War or to see Booth shoot Lincoln and jump onto the stage then it's not the movie for you. There are plenty of theatrical renditions of all that. This is a snapshot into the great struggle and political gamesmanship of amending the Constitution and the beginning of reconstruction. I thought it was great. DDL was terrific. Sally Field was good, but at 60-something it was a stretch for her to have a 10 year old son, but whatever.

I read somewhere that it was fairly well-documented that Lincoln's voice had a high timbre, so I assumed that DDL was honoring that.

Mary-Todd-Lincoln-Spirit-Photograph-201x300.jpg

Following the assassination of her husband in 1865, Lincoln entered a period of deep mourning and began to travel across the country visiting Spiritualist mediums. During a trip to Boston, she attended séances using the name “Mrs. Tundall” and at one particular sitting, the spirit of Abraham directed her to visit spirit photographer William H. Mumler.

Seven years after the death of her husband, Lincoln visited Mumler’s studio dressed in a black veil and other mourning attire. She provided the name “Mrs. Lindall” and refused to take off her veil until it was time to take the picture. Mumler claims that while snapping the photo, he never knew the true identity of Mrs. Lincoln and assumed she was, in fact, Mrs. Lindall.

Lincoln returned to Mumler’s studio three days later to collect her pictures. Mumler’s wife, Hannah Mumler, gave Mrs. Lincoln the envelope with her pictures and asked if she recognized the likeness.

She responded “Yes—yes dear. I do recognize it,” and subsequently revealed her true identity. After weeping at the sight of what appeared to be her deceased husband and son, Mrs. Lincoln asked Mumler “how long before she could join them in their spirit home?”
http://museumofthemacabre.org/2011/05/mary-todd-lincoln-and-spiritualism/

I really liked it too. DDL is perfect as Lincoln and Tommy Lee Jones is pretty terrific too. A lot of humor in it, which I didn't really expect, but definitely helped with the serious subject matter.

She was nuts while he was still alive from the death of their son, I can't imagine what sitting next to him while he was shot in the head did for her psyche.

I think Lincoln will be a rental for me.

I did see Life Of Pi last week. Typical Ang Lee film-- beautiful to watch, well acted, and boring as fuck with an air of profundity that it never delivered.

Back