• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Linebacker play??

icedaman

Reaction score
There is always a lot of discussion about our DB's and D-line, but not much said about our linebackers. I am curious as to the feelings about how our linebackers are performing??

Better than last year.

Not consistently good enough considering it's a 3-4 defense.

Wilber should be at DE full time.

Would love to go back to a 4-3 next year.

Love the play of Mike Olson and Justin Jackson. That's about all I've got.

Eherman has played well. LB play has been solid, and it's a strength on this D.

I really think they've been solid this season, huge improvement over last season. We have them actually making plays, causing fumbles, getting picks and making a big impact in the games WF has won. The two most explosive LB's IMO (Jackson and Allen, don't consider KW a LB, don't care where he lines up) are young and are only getting better. Both are studs athletically and can physically dominate opponents. Looking forward to those 2 next season getting more PT.

Terrible blitzers.

Disagree, our DL is just not set up to create the lanes required to run a 3-4 effectively. Our DL, specifically Whitlock, are effective at getting penetration to the QB, but the function of the DL in a 3-4 is more about eating blockers to open up gaps for LB blitzes. We do not do that effectively.

I really think they've been solid this season, huge improvement over last season. We have them actually making plays, causing fumbles, getting picks and making a big impact in the games WF has won. The two most explosive LB's IMO (Jackson and Allen, don't consider KW a LB, don't care where he lines up) are young and are only getting better. Both are studs athletically and can physically dominate opponents. Looking forward to those 2 next season getting more PT.

KW will be an OLB in the league, IMO, think Calvin Pace.

I loved his heart and his play in some situations, but I am so glad to not have to watch Matt Woodleaf chasing down receivers on blown coverage this year.

Terrible blitzers.

I'm more inclined to blame our blitz packages. We seem to run a ton of delayed blitzes (which never work), and in our 3-4 set-up the D-Line doesn't seem to occupy enough bodies to open lanes for the blitzing LBs. It seems that when we blitz LBs, there's always someone (or sometwo) to meet him.

I loved his heart and his play in some situations, but I am so glad to not have to watch Matt Woodleaf chasing down receivers on blown coverage this year.

Lol. Truth. I don't want to say anything about the guy as a person, but as a linebacker he was one of the more laughably slow guys we've ever had. I met him as a sophomore and my thought was just, "this guys isn't a football player, he's just fat."

Oh yea he is certainly going to be a LB in the NFL, thats the only thing he could be at his size. But the dude is a DE and great one in college. Watching him drop inside to his more natural DE spot against FSU in person (which saw WF run almost solely a 4-3 in the second half) KW just abused anyone that FSU threw at him. Just put on a clinic. If he weighed 265 he'd be a first round DE pick.

Enough college DEs make the transition to NFL OLBs that it makes sense to say a future NFL OLB is not best a being a college OLB.

Agree on Woodlief. Some players just shouldn't have seen the field as much as they did.

Lol. Truth. I don't want to say anything about the guy as a person, but as a linebacker he was one of the more laughably slow guys we've ever had. I met him as a sophomore and my thought was just, "this guys isn't a football player, he's just fat."

Woodlief was 260, just about bigger than all the guys on our current D-Line. The more I study our Football rosters, the more confusing our coaching staff looks.

Enough college DEs make the transition to NFL OLBs that it makes sense to say a future NFL OLB is not best a being a college OLB.

Agree on Woodlief. Some players just shouldn't have seen the field as much as they did.

He was a decent run stopper.

He was a decent run stopper.

He was like a wall in the middle of the field.

My impression of his size was he just wouldn't be that good with his hand on the ground because his size was an advantage at MLB (even though it came with other weaknesses).

For the same reason, Nikita wouldn't be that good at MLB because his speed is an advantage at DT.

He was like a wall in the middle of the field.

My impression of his size was he just wouldn't be that good with his hand on the ground because his size was an advantage at MLB (even though it came with other weaknesses).

For the same reason, Nikita wouldn't be that good at MLB because his speed is an advantage at DT.

Woody was a sure tackler, he just didn't find himself near people very often.

Back