• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

LJVM Renovation Plans ?

Regardless of the arena debate, I totally agree with you that Wake's problems in athletics are mostly all self-inflicted "choices", rather than alleged "disadvantages" we inherently face. It's mostly all a failure of will. Good observation.

This post is 100% correct. Our generation of alums (1990-2010) was left with a bad hand. We have improved practice facilities along with all of our competitors. Otherwise we are leaving the same losing hand to the next group.

This post is 100% correct. Our generation of alums (1990-2010) was left with a bad hand. We have improved practice facilities along with all of our competitors. Otherwise we are leaving the same losing hand to the next group.

Wait..wtf??? The post that agrees with you is 100% correct? What were the odds of that? Damn.

college basketball is very important to you

This sentiment is winning. This all really isn't that important. It's just basketball. It's ok to have a less than ideal place to play. It can be really good for a huge game every 5 years. Losing is acceptable.

This sentiment is winning. This all really isn't that important. It's just basketball. It's ok to have a less than ideal place to play. It can be really good for a huge game every 5 years. Losing is acceptable.

winners win, am I right?

The first move to getting this done is to get rid of Hatch. He is a huge blocker to the AD, like he was at ND.

If we decide on your pipe dream of an on campus arena, do you think Hatch would allow a $75-125M fundraising program to pay for the building of the arena? It has to be paid for 100% upfront. A mortgage would make it a white elephant unless we do monthly or more events that include for outside participants.

In addition, we'd have to raise an endowment to cover operating expenses not covered by ticket sales. Or again, we'd have to open the campus to the public on a regular basis for events.

Hopefully, the Joel can be upgraded. Or re-upgraded.

Tell me more about how the provost at Notre Dame held back their athletics department.

I'm all for an on-campus arena. Where should we put it?

Talked for a few minutes with ACC supervisor Bryan Kersey several weeks ago when he was in Winston-Salem for the Sportswriter HOF ceremony where they inducted Linda Cohn & Mike Lupica among others. Host Dave Goren invited Kersey and several other ACC basketball officials to this media event, 2 of them being local guys Tim Nestor & Bill Covington along with natty title official Mike Eades. Anyway, Kersey told me that one of his favorite places to call a game was the LJVM back in the days of Duncan & Childress. The place was electric and as good as ANY place in the ACC. Loud and the fans were really into the game.

So DR, when you have winning basketball, our place can be perfect. We win, we can fill the place. We did in the mid-90's, we did in the mid-2000's and Danny Manning will get us back there the same way. We do NOT need to tear the place down and build something new. That building is a great building and just needs renovation and upgrading. It is now 28 years old.

Our place can be loud when we are really good, but has never been a special venue. It's a standard, multipurpose areana. I struggle to understand why people wouldn't want a smaller, Wake BB only (or primarily) venue.

The Joel is going to have less seats, and be a lot nicer when the renovations are done. It's going to be very nice. I don't know how the hell we could manage not only an arena, but 10-12,000 people on campus for each home game. The entire campus would have to be redesigned, and it wouldn't be for the better.

The Joel is going to have less seats, and be a lot nicer when the renovations are done. It's going to be very nice. I don't know how the hell we could manage not only an arena, but 10-12,000 people on campus for each home game. The entire campus would have to be redesigned, and it wouldn't be for the better.

BINGO!!!

Plus the costs for upkeep, staff and other things would make it necessary to have events that would bring 5-10,000 people to campus in addition to the bball games. That sounds fun,

Can we just all have a moment of silence for that team in the video that was posted? 3 NBA starters and another part-time NBA starter not pictured.

(Silence)

Ok commence your bitching

People advocating something other than the Joel aren't really urging on campus. That ship has sailed. And frankly, so has the argument about a new arena. It's a moo point.

Back