• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

LJVM Renovation Plans ?

The is not close to the truth. If you want photographic evidence then go here http://www.wakeforestsports.com/view.gal?id=201148 and look at two pics - the overhead view during the national anthem which shows the full lower level student sections, and the second half pic of Childress making the and1 layup, which shows the upper level student sections. At the start of the game both the lower and upper level student sections were full. Some students left at halftime, which left openings in the top 10 rows or so of the upper deck. There have been some games this year with very poor student turnout, but the UNC game certainly was not one of them.

Yeah the students filled up their entire allotment and pretty much the top as well.

The is not close to the truth. If you want photographic evidence then go here http://www.wakeforestsports.com/view.gal?id=201148 and look at two pics - the overhead view during the national anthem which shows the full lower level student sections, and the second half pic of Childress making the and1 layup, which shows the upper level student sections. At the start of the game both the lower and upper level student sections were full. Some students left at halftime, which left openings in the top 10 rows or so of the upper deck. There have been some games this year with very poor student turnout, but the UNC game certainly was not one of them.

I heard it was the largest audience to ever witness a basketball game, period, both in person and around the globe.

Seems like we should know something official soon. If they intend to make the upgrades for the 2017-2018 season, then i'd expect work to begin shortly after the last home game on 3/1. That would give them ~8 months of work time before the first home games in early November. If they don't hit that window, then we'd be looking at making the upgrades for the 2018-2019 season.

This is a horrible, horrible idea. We are doubling down on a disaster. We need to scrap it, start over with a properly designed stadium with seating capacity somewhere between the last 2 national champions (6500 & 9300 respectively)

Elrod Indoor Stadium.

Seems like we should know something official soon. If they intend to make the upgrades for the 2017-2018 season, then i'd expect work to begin shortly after the last home game on 3/1. That would give them ~8 months of work time before the first home games in early November. If they don't hit that window, then we'd be looking at making the upgrades for the 2018-2019 season.

There are other events scheduled at LJVM besides Wake games - the latest being a comedy show on May 12th.

Seeing as how they had a quote from WFU up, I'm guessing that a deal is in place but the release was premature. The cashe info put this posted on 1/13 if I'm reading this right (and may not be).

The location is irrelevant. Would love it on or near campus but the big picture here is a proper design and size for us. Putting lipstick on that footprint won't do. The size of the building sucks the noise right out. I have been to 141 different college arenas. The Joel is the single worst building imaginable for our size fan base.

This is surely trolling right? I've been to the Joel with fans of many other schools for big games, and have received almost 100% positive feedback on the arena size, loudness, and overall environment. Hell, our old buddy JJ Redick called it the toughest place to play in the ACC when he was there.

This is surely trolling right? I've been to the Joel with fans of many other schools for big games, and have received almost 100% positive feedback on the arena size, loudness, and overall environment. Hell, our old buddy JJ Redick called it the toughest place to play in the ACC when he was there.

It is way, way too big. I didn't think there was an honest dispute about that. I'm optimistic about the proposed plans if they come to pass.

It is way, way too big. I didn't think there was an honest dispute about that. I'm optimistic about the proposed plans if they come to pass.

It's definitely too big for our enrollment and fan base size, but that doesn't mean that it doesn't get high marks from most visiting fans.

I think an 8K-10K arena is more than enough for the fan support that we have right now, and should max out at even when we are really good. It will increase demand and keep out a lot of opposing fans, both of which will make the crowd sound better live, and on tv.

This is the exact reason I will be speaking up loudly on this issue. Throughout the last 20 years of advocating for a smaller arena, I have had people--including in the AD-- say "well no one has ever said anything about that before."

Wellman may well get his way one last time but he will do so against a vocal public opposition--including direct contact with major donors advocating that we not give him the money and wait, instead, to do this right this time.

This is the exact reason I will be speaking up loudly on this issue. Throughout the last 20 years of advocating for a smaller arena, I have had people--including in the AD-- say "well no one has ever said anything about that before."

Wellman may well get his way one last time but he will do so against a vocal public opposition--including direct contact with major donors advocating that we not give him the money and wait, instead, to do this right this time.

luls

But wouldn't renovating the Joel be more cost effective if we're doing exactly what you wanted a new coliseum to be rather than just building an entirely new building? Also, wouldn't we want it near the football and baseball stadiums too if we built a new place? I don't know about land layout/what land is available but I doubt there is much available in that area.

I am not saying people weren't in the seats, but they were not students unless the average age of our student section is 45.

Will you yourself be giving any of your large donor money or just speaking loudly?

Although I'd much rather have a smaller venue on campus, this looks like a huge improvement. Hope we are closer to 9k than 11k

BSD, where we are now is on campus. We own all that! Football, baseball and basketball are all on campus. We have the best parking of any Power 5 school in the country and right now our LJVM is closer to the students than the Dean Dome, PNC Arena or JPJ is for the Holes, Wolfies or Hoos. We might not be centered like Cameron, but that is an old building and things are not going to be like that anymore. This design provided by Bob is perfect and if we can go to around 10-11,000 that is perfect. As long as the infrastructure of the LJVM is sound, there is absolutely no need to go elsewhere. We have no room nor parking somewhere off Reynolda Rd for some basketball arena. That is one good reason baseball was moved.

I am not saying people weren't in the seats, but they were not students unless the average age of our student section is 45.

Perhaps you're confused as to which section the students sit? What section were you in?

Back