• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Lol @ Radford University

94Deac

Grouchy SOB
Reaction score
0fe5ce7e-669b-48ce-a8a6-a52b157bf84c_diploma-3.jpeg

Meghan McNeice graduated from Radford University in Virginia in May, and she was excited when she got her diploma in the mail on Saturday.

But the 21-year-old media studies major from Richmond, Va., soon heard chatter on Twitter that there was a spelling error on some graduates' diplomas, so she looked at hers again.

Sure enough, the freelance reporter's diploma had the word "Virginia" spelled incorrectly. In one of two instances of the word on the document, the final "i" is omitted, leaving the word spelled "Virgina."

McNeice missed the error the first time she looked at her diploma because, she said, "I was just looking at it as a graduate, I was excited. I wasn't, like, going through copy editing."

In fact, the university remained unaware of the error until Tuesday morning, when a graduate notified officials.

In total, 1,481 undergraduate and graduate diplomas from fall 2012 and spring 2013 were misspelled, according to Joe Carpenter, Radford's chief communications officer.

In a statement, Carpenter told ABCNews.com that the diplomas actually had two spelling errors on them. In addition to "Virginia" being misspelled "Virgina," the word "thereto" was spelled "therto."

Don't these say the same thing year to year? Shouldn't they look at previous years' diplomas?

Smh
Radford also lead the state of Virginia colleges with the highest STD rate in 2009- fun facts you learn working for the big south conference.

I thought JMU was the nationwide leader for STDs? Or at least it used to be.

At least it didn't say Virginee.

Smh
Radford also lead the state of Virginia colleges with the highest STD rate in 2009- fun facts you learn working for the big south conference.

I have no idea if that's true, but the fact the same factoid was being circulated in 2001 now leads me to think it is apocryphal, which is a shame because it's funny.

I thought JMU was the nationwide leader for STDs? Or at least it used to be.

At least it didn't say Virginee.

Not to dig this thread back up- But that's why it was such a big joke that radford was able to best out JMU for a year or two.

Back