• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

London's new mayor says sexy ads gotta go

Third wave feminists and Muslims teaming up to erase sexy women from the streets of London. Shocker.

More room for advertising pork (particularly bacon), women's driving schools, alcohol and Christian goods like crosses and bibles.

Damn! I just did a shoot for Harrod's and a hooker. I guess they won't be up on Picadilly next month.

At least I got paid in cash.

The imposition of Sharia law usually starts with a sexy billboard body-shaming fake out. Next will be outlawing pork because pigs are so damn cute! Before they know it, Londoners will be chopping each other's hands off. Suckers.

The imposition of Sharia law usually starts with a sexy billboard body-shaming fake out. Next will be outlawing pork because pigs are so damn cute! Before they know it, Londoners will be chopping each other's hands off. Suckers.

Question - how do liberals reconcile their support of Islam with Islam's flagrantly sexist stances towards women?

New Mayor of London is a Mooslim dumbass. Sexy girls can stay, terrorists need to go. Public wants protection from terrorists, not sexy girls. It's a no brainer.

Question - how do liberals reconcile their support of Islam with Islam's flagrantly sexist stances towards women?

pretty easily, by holding a nuanced positions. also, religious people are hypocrites

1. all religions are sexist towards women
2. not all religious are sexist because they selectively enforce their own beliefs. you know, like Christians eating shellfish and what not.

Do liberals support Islam? What do you mean by support, I guess, is my first question?

From my vantage point (as I can't speak for all liberals), liberals typically reject the conflation of Islam/terrorism by pointing out that most Muslims aren't terrorists. I'm guessing that most liberals feel similarly about socially conservative Islam as they do about socially conservative Christianity and Judaism.

Most socially conservative religion practices pretty extreme forms of misogyny. Speaking from personal experience, that's one thing that drove me away from religious practice for a really long time.

Do liberals support Islam? What do you mean by support, I guess, is my first question?

From my vantage point (as I can't speak for all liberals), liberals typically reject the conflation of Islam/terrorism by pointing out that most Muslims aren't terrorists. I'm guessing that most liberals feel similarly about socially conservative Islam as they do about socially conservative Christianity and Judaism.

Most socially conservative religion practices pretty extreme forms of misogyny. Speaking from personal experience, that's one thing that drove me away from religious practice for a really long time.

The New Testament was actually way ahead of its time with regards to the rights and dignity of women and children.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The New Testament was actually way ahead of its time with regards to the rights and dignity of women and children.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was. Doesn't say anything about gays, though.

I support anyone's right to believe whatever religion (or politics) they want - no matter how racist, bigoted, sexist or offensive I find out.

Where I start to have a problem is when they attempt to enforce those viewpoints on the rest of society via legislation (or the avoidance of legislation). That goes for Hasidic Jews in Brooklyn who remove bicycle lanes off the street every time they are painted because they don't want to see girls in shorts riding through their parts of town, Christians who won't serve people because God told them not to or Muslims who deface ads because they don't like women in bikini's advertising.

Pretty brilliant move on his part to use the PC pretext of "body-shaming" and simultaneously just happen to appease both his faith and a large segment of London's population, but yeah, I'm sure it's all about body-shaming. Derka derka :bowrofl:

http://dailycaller.com/2016/06/13/londons-muslim-mayor-bans-sexy-women-in-advertisements/

This has nothing to do with the current mayor's religion - that ad in particular (the "are you beach body ready" one) has been the source of a long running feud in the UK for the last 18 months, at least. It was banned in 2015 by the Advertising Standards Authority in the UK and has been fueling a contentious debate on ads on the subway for quite a while.

Here's a Guardian story from 2015 about the different responses in NY and London to the ad ( http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/jun/27/beach-body-ready-america-weight-loss-ad-instagram ) for example. Here's a Telegraph story from January about their new ads which replace it ( http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/li...ck-with-a-new-body-shaming-ad---and-its-more/ ). Etc, etc, etc

Trying to make this about the Mayor's religion is fucking imbecilic and shows no understanding of the story.

I support anyone's right to believe whatever religion (or politics) they want - no matter how racist, bigoted, sexist or offensive I find out.

Where I start to have a problem is when they attempt to enforce those viewpoints on the rest of society via mutilations, rape, horrible acts of torture, and excruciatingly painful deaths (or the avoidance of legislation). That goes for Hasidic Jews in Brooklyn who remove bicycle lanes off the street every time they are painted because they don't want to see girls in shorts riding through their parts of town, Christians who won't serve people because God told them not to or Muslims who deface ads because they don't like women in bikini's advertising.

My sincerest apologies if that isn't what you meant to type..

Back