• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Looking at New Cars and Need Advice

truifh0

Reaction score
Looking at getting a new or slightly used car soon and wanted people's advice. I currently drive a 2002 Honda Accord and like it and will probably be looking at Sedan's from 2010 to 2012. Right now my top choices are:

Ford Fusion or Focus
Kia Optima
VW Passat
Honda Accord
Toyota Camry
Hyundai Sonata

Right now I am leaning towards the Fusion with Sonata and Optima being next as they great ratings in their class and have improved drastically from previous years. Just wanted to get people's thoughts to see if you have personal experience with any of these models.

We don't have a Sonata, but do have a Hyundai and LOVE it! Even considering buying a second one when my Jeep kicks it.

I bought a 2011 Subaru Impreza in September that I have been thrilled with (got a good deal too). The mileage is not quite as good as the 2012 model, but it is AWD and drives wonderfully. I test drove a few other similar cars, but between safety, AWD, a smooth ride, and resale value, the Subaru blew everything else out of the water.

Looking at getting a new or slightly used car soon and wanted people's advice. I currently drive a 2002 Honda Accord and like it and will probably be looking at Sedan's from 2010 to 2012. Right now my top choices are:

Ford Fusion or Focus
Kia Optima
VW Passat
Honda Accord
Toyota Camry
Hyundai Sonata

Right now I am leaning towards the Fusion with Sonata and Optima being next as they great ratings in their class and have improved drastically from previous years. Just wanted to get people's thoughts to see if you have personal experience with any of these models.

All are solid cars and you won't necessarily go "wrong" with any of them. I am not a big fan of the Honda or Toyota, as they are the most boring of the bunch. They are however, quite reliablie if you want a car you can drive for 200k miles.

Most any new car easily goes well over 100k these days.

I like the new Ford Fusion. It's sharp looking, but I don't have personal experience with it. We test drove one a little over a year ago and it was nice, but nothing special.

We were just at a car show here in Raleigh last weekend and got to sit in a Kia Optima and it was really, really nice. I would love to take one of those for a test drive sometime to see. It was fully loaded up and I still think the sticker was only about 31k.

My best friend has an older Hyundai Sonata and that thing is indestructible. I think he has paid for one major repair on it since he's had it. It's right at 150k miles right now and going strong.

Only one on your list I would avoid is the VW. But that's just me. I would be hesitant to ever have another VW after a horrible experience with a Jetta. Worst new car ever. Every little cosmetic thing you could think of broke on that car. The seats broke. The molding fell off the outside of the door when it got hot. It did however, have the greatest AC unit ever. It was built in their Mexico plant right after it opened, around 1996 or so. It could be much better quality now, but that's my experience.

The wife has a Hyundai Sonata and it's a great car. It's too new to know the durability but it's got a lot of great features for the money and is roomy.

Second the comment about avoiding a VW. I had a Jetta years ago and while fun to drive it was a piece of crap. Just got a 2009 Mazda 6 Touring and am very pleased with it, although the gas mileage isn't quite as good as I would like.

I have two friends who have the new Fusion and they both love it. Great gas mileage and decent power. My dad rented a fusion once and loved it so now everytime we rent a car he tried to get a fusion. If you get a focus get the hatchback since it looks better than the sedan and is much more practical.

The new Hyundai Sonata and Kia Optima are both great cars too. They are exactly the same, the only difference is style since they have same chasis, engines and transmissions. If you do that I'd consider going up market and getting the turbo version since its almost the same gas mileage with much more power.

If you're willing to wait a couple of months I'd look at the new Fusion and Chevy Malibu since both will be great cars. The next gen fusion is probably the best looking car compared to anything else in its class.

I bought a 2011 Subaru Impreza in September that I have been thrilled with (got a good deal too). The mileage is not quite as good as the 2012 model, but it is AWD and drives wonderfully. I test drove a few other similar cars, but between safety, AWD, a smooth ride, and resale value, the Subaru blew everything else out of the water.

yeah subaru!
I picked up a 2008 subaru legacy outback last weekend; I am in love with it. Handles amazingly well, holds its value really well (especially in the PacNW), AWD, great safety ratings, very smooth ride, and pretty good mileage. I also got a great deal, but it definitely impressed me way more than the other 3 cars I test drove (subaru tribeca, jeep liberty, volvo s40).

yeah subaru!
I picked up a 2008 subaru legacy outback last weekend; I am in love with it. Handles amazingly well, holds its value really well (especially in the PacNW), AWD, great safety ratings, very smooth ride, and pretty good mileage. I also got a great deal, but it definitely impressed me way more than the other 3 cars I test drove (subaru tribeca, jeep liberty, volvo s40).

no more jeep? :(

oh and I have a Fusion and love it. highly recommended, and of all of the above, a slightly used Fusion will have depreciated the most so you can get the most for your money.

I bought a new Sonata a few months ago. I'm not very picky about cars but it seemed like good value for the money. Like it so far.

no more jeep? :(

ol' Stu (the red jeep) didn't make the trip to Oregon... he went out to pasture (ie: was donated to Camp Durant in Carthage). J drives a '98 5.8 LTD, though- it's lifted, 35" tires, roof rack, etc. preeettttyyy much the most awesome jeep (though i loved stu)

Outdoorsy type who works for REI and lives in Portland buys an outback? No f'n way! Trend setter!

All in jest, don't even know you . . . No malice intended at all!

yeah subaru!

Got a 2011 black Sonata. Love the car and definitely roomy. Lots of compliments from people who have to sit in the back seat.

I love the Accord. Pretty sleek looking and still safe and reliable.

Outdoorsy type who works for REI and lives in Portland buys an outback? No f'n way! Trend setter!

All in jest, don't even know you . . . No malice intended at all!

:thumbsup:

I'm looking to replace my 2001 Toyota Corolla this summer or fall. I want 4WD/AWD in whatever I get. Also, I'm 6'4" and want more room. Good gas mileage would also be preferrable. I've narrowed down my search to:

Honda CR-V
Ford Escape
Subaru Legacy (Sedan)
Subaru Forester

I would kind of rather go for SUV over sedan. I'm also leaning towards new as I'll keep it for at least 10 or 12 years, probably longer. Any advice would be appreciated.

I'm looking to replace my 2001 Toyota Corolla this summer or fall. I want 4WD/AWD in whatever I get. Also, I'm 6'4" and want more room. Good gas mileage would also be preferrable. I've narrowed down my search to:

Honda CR-V
Ford Escape
Subaru Legacy (Sedan)
Subaru Forester

I would kind of rather go for SUV over sedan. I'm also leaning towards new as I'll keep it for at least 10 or 12 years, probably longer. Any advice would be appreciated.

First of all I'd go with an outback over a forester. It's cheaper, bigger and it gets better gas mileage. You could also look at the Hyundai and KIA SUV's since they have gotten pretty good reviews and if you're going to go new they have the best warranty's.

Back