• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Looper

WakeFanatic

Reaction score
A stunning movie. Brave, exhilarating, heartbreaking.... pretty much every emotion that a great film can bring about. I HIGHLY recommend it.

Ditto. Like any time travel story, don't bog yourself down with too many details of time travel. In fact one of my favorite scenes was Willis telling JGL and basically us, the audience, to not get too caught up with that.

Ditto. Like any time travel story, don't bog yourself down with too many details of time travel. In fact one of my favorite scenes was Willis telling JGL and basically us, the audience, to not get too caught up with that.

I loved that scene, especially Willis screaming "It doesn't matter!" when JGL was pushing him for details. Indeed, that was the signal to the audience that the small details of time travel are inconsequential, and to not worry about that while such an ingenious narrative is unraveling around it.

Wo I thought this movie would suck. Title sounds too much like Jumper which did suck. 93% on Rotten Tomatoes. I'm in.

As I lay dying, I've watched Rian Johnson's other films yesterday and today -- Brick and The Brothers Bloom. Very cool movies. Brick is on streaming Netflix and Brothers Bloom can be rented with streaming Amazon.

Wo I thought this movie would suck. Title sounds too much like Jumper which did suck. 93% on Rotten Tomatoes. I'm in.

Thought the same thing.

Sweet. Will try to rock this and The Master this weekend.

I liked the movie. I liked the themes. I think I understood the point. The action was great. It was extremely well made and it was extremely fun.

The time travel plot was incomprehensible, but that is OK and as noted was urged from the director.

I really enjoyed the movie, and you do always run into inherent contradictions with time travel, so I try not to have that bog me down too much, but I do have to ask one question:
The whole Joe realizing it's a never ending loop in the end has to be wrong just by the inherent structure of the movie. In the past he grew up in as a kid, he executed his future self. That meant the whole confrontation with Cid and Sarah never took place, and the whole making of the Rainmaker per Joe never took place, no?

Thought it was great. One of my favorite parts about the film is that it didn't give itself away in the trailer, the major plot point in the film develops rather slowly and comes as a pretty big surprise. I've enjoyed every film by Rian Johnson and i'm already looking forward to his next.

Interesting - will take mrs. china ski ce soir. I thought it would suck too, but reviews are all very positive.

I really enjoyed the movie, and you do always run into inherent contradictions with time travel, so I try not to have that bog me down too much, but I do have to ask one question:
The whole Joe realizing it's a never ending loop in the end has to be wrong just by the inherent structure of the movie. In the past he grew up in as a kid, he executed his future self. That meant the whole confrontation with Cid and Sarah never took place, and the whole making of the Rainmaker per Joe never took place, no?

It would take some thought, but in my opinion most time travel stuff can be explained more easily if you just consider that every time someone travels back to the past, a completely new reality is created.

In the case of this, it wasn't until the possibility of Joe meeting the asian girl in his future ceased to exist that the entirely new reality existed, i.e. once he killed himself and completely erased the possibility. That's why Bruce Willis was still able to remember meeting her, because he would still possibly be able to get young Joe to that point.

Last edited:
I don't think that answers my question. There is a logical paradox.
Cid becomes the Rainmaker because Bruce Willis killed his mother. But in the reality for Old Bruce, he never killed the mom because he executed his future self. Meaning Cid was still the Rainmaker without ever having met Bruce Willis/JGL.

I don't think that answers my question. There is a logical paradox.
Cid becomes the Rainmaker because Bruce Willis killed his mother. But in the reality for Old Bruce, he never killed the mom because he executed his future self. Meaning Cid was still the Rainmaker without ever having met Bruce Willis/JGL.

which is why you have to kill the kid. JGL should have seen the writing on the wall and helped Bruce take the little freak out

I asked myself this same question in the car on the way home, and figured there was something else that happened to the kid's mom in the scenario where he executes his future self (vagrant attack, etc).

you're not supposed to think too much about all the time travel implications in this one

which is why you have to kill the kid. JGL should have seen the writing on the wall and helped Bruce take the little freak out

This is what got me. After Bruce gets the Sports Almanac and becomes the head of the gambling conglomerate, he no longer need to stop the virus from spreading by shooting the dude in the airport who had the monkey disease. So why did he still do it and why did the Time Enforcement Commission even bother to send Van Damme back to investigate the time crime? I also didn't get why JGL didn't just jump on the hoverboard to get to Skynet before the machines became aware. Or better yet, he could have just used the phone booth. Better to just not think about it.

This is what got me. After Bruce gets the Sports Almanac and becomes the head of the gambling conglomerate, he no longer need to stop the virus from spreading by shooting the dude in the airport who had the monkey disease. So why did he still do it and why did the Time Enforcement Commission even bother to send Van Damme back to investigate the time crime? I also didn't get why JGL didn't just jump on the hoverboard to get to Skynet before the machines became aware. Or better yet, he could have just used the phone booth. Better to just not think about it.

The whole scene where JGL had to gnarfle the garthok was a little much for me. I am still trying to wrap my head around it.

Last edited:

tumblr_mbdrw6Gk6N1rvk0h5o1_500.gif

Back