• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Loyola Wake game thread

So, apparently we're a decent MAAC-level team. Lord ... I know we've got a Top 10 recruiting class coming in next year, but you've got to figure they'll need a year+ to mature. That means 2 more years of getting Sandusky'd in the ACC, boys. Oof ...

And yet, I still find myself behind [Redacted]. Not in the physical sense, but you know ... As the bitch in 'Hoosiers' famously said - "Give the man a chance." When we're bitch-slapping UNC in 2013, I will show up and say "I told you so."

Out.

"He's a repulsive, repugnant creature, yet I can't look away."

The Kramer

So, apparently we're a decent MAAC-level team. Lord ... I know we've got a Top 10 recruiting class coming in next year, but you've got to figure they'll need a year+ to mature. That means 2 more years of getting Sandusky'd in the ACC, boys. Oof ...

And yet, I still find myself behind [Redacted]. Not in the physical sense, but you know ... As the bitch in 'Hoosiers' famously said - "Give the man a chance." When we're bitch-slapping UNC in 2013, I will show up and say "I told you so."

Out.

great first post, would read again.

Out.

Better to get Munsun'd or Sandusky'd?

Better to get Munsun'd or Sandusky'd?

Look - last year made me want to shoot myself in the face. This year will too, seeing as I work in an office full of Tarheels who do unspeakable things to the Deacon bobblehead in my office ...

But ... I remember reading an article in The Sporting News about how highly regarded they considered Buzz when he took the AF job. And he still has his supporters at Colorado. Two more years before we set up the guillotine. Two more years - then we'll see where we are ...

If we shoot a normal percentage of FTs this game is not even close.

This is the key point of the night ... we win by 12 over a fairly decent opponent while missing 24 FTs. We are not a bad FT shooting team. That stat will markedly improve. The fact that we were able to control the game while missing an inordinate amount of FTs is a very good sign.

Obviously we have many things to address and improve upon, but I was pleased with the effort and the result tonight.

Yeah the FT thing was just bizarre, particularly because the failure was led by CJ, who traditionally has been great from the line.

Bz's comment on this was good - we may have shot poorly, but we got to the line 46 times.

Hopefully the shooting was an anomaly and not regression.

Pleasantly surprised and pleased by the win. This was honestly a game I thought we might lose. Considering we won by 12 with historically poor FT shooting from an otherwise good FT shooting team, it's really not a horrible result.

Let's enjoy our 1.000 winning percentage while it lasts.

A few points I took from last nights game:
-Much faster team speed over all
-We're going to be a fun team to watch grow, all things considered
-Carson looked all world compared to last season
-As we all have been saying this year, Travis will have to be a 20 pt 10 reb guy for us to have a shot at a few ACC wins
-CJ looked solid, but obviously can't miss free throws once we get into the meat of the schedule
-Chase will be fine once he gets the fill of the collegiate level

Overall I was pleasantly surprised with the hustle we showed last night and I'm excited to see where things go.

Seriously, how the heck did Nikita foul out after having played only 10mins?

Nikita substitutes aggressiveness for smarts and commits silly fouls. He doesn't understand how to apply defensive pressure, for example, when an opponent grabs a loose ball, Nikita will run into the guy instead of just pressuring him. If he doesn't get called for that, he'll swing his arms into the player instead of staying vertical.

It's just dumb basketball and we need him on the court because he's 6'9 and has a little bit of an offensive game.

Nikita substitutes aggressiveness for smarts and commits silly fouls. He doesn't understand how to apply defensive pressure, for example, when an opponent grabs a loose ball, Nikita will run into the guy instead of just pressuring him. If he doesn't get called for that, he'll swing his arms into the player instead of staying vertical.

It's just dumb basketball and we need him on the court because he's 6'9 and has a little bit of an offensive game.

Exactly. Nikita needs to learn controlled aggression. He can be a defensive monster because of how hard he plays. What kind of monster is up to him.

Back