• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

LucasArts Shut Down

Just saw this....and promptly downloaded Day Of The Tentacle to play

i crushed ALLLLL their games. the original Maniac Mansion, all 4 Monkey Islands, Day of the Tentacle, Sam and Max, Indiana Jones, Full Throttle, Grim Fandango.... can't even remember what else that was just off the top of my head. epic games

Star_Wars_X-Wing_vs._Tie_Fighter_box_art.jpg

That's the second video game company Disney has shut down in the last few months.

X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter wasn't nearly as good as the prior games in the series, but that's probably because multiplayer was still so unreliable back then. TIE Fighter is still probably my favorite PC game ever, followed closely by Wing Commander III. Space flight sims used to be my wheelhouse, but it has been forever since a good one has been made.

As for LucasArts itself, they've been pretty bad for a long time. Not surprised to see Disney shutting them down.

That's the second video game company Disney has shut down in the last few months.

Disney is putting everything under the Disney Interactive umbrella now. They are the ones handling Infinity, which will be the basis for most Disney releases for the future... or until it fails to meet its first sales goal.

From what I know, Infinity looks cool but I thought Epic Mickey looked good too.

X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter wasn't nearly as good as the prior games in the series, but that's probably because multiplayer was still so unreliable back then. TIE Fighter is still probably my favorite PC game ever, followed closely by Wing Commander III. Space flight sims used to be my wheelhouse, but it has been forever since a good one has been made.

As for LucasArts itself, they've been pretty bad for a long time. Not surprised to see Disney shutting them down.

That was my favorite genre too, with Descent: Freespace (both 1 and 2) being far and away my favorite. Sadly, the space combat sim is dead dead dead. Killed off by advances in tech that nullified its advantage over FPSs. Since those games only mostly had to draw space and distant stars, graphics weren't as intensive and gameplay was smoother than FPS competitors. That all changed (probably with Unreal) and I haven't seen a good space combat sim in going on 15 years now.

This did inspire me to look for game footage of Freespace on Youtube. Dang I forgot how awesome that really was. Capital class ship explosions were fantastic.

Which was the one where you could make the trench run and blow up the death star? I'm pretty sure I played it when I was 5-8 years old but cant remember which game it was.

ETA: I think this was the first level, the 2nd involved navigating the falcon through this long strip by going up and down to dodge object, which as a kid, I could never do.

Last edited:
One of my favorite LucasArts games in high school.

252px-JediKnight-cover.jpg

Nice. The first Dark Forces was so much fun. This really makes me miss the days of the 3D PC shooters like Wolf3d, Doom, Heretic, Rise of the Triad, and Duke Nukem3D

Back