• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Madison Jones chooses Wake Forest (2012 PG)

I don't know about his AAU affiliation, but Ravenscroft plays some pretty (extremely) weak competition.

Case in point at 2:13 mark in the video ChillDeac posted. #2 looks like he is in middle school.

Even if you don't think this guy is going to be a stud, you really shouldn't criticize our staff for bringing him in considering the need for a PG and that he was the best available.

Not if you play against inferior competition for four months a year and that's it.

Well they won the former Glaxo tournament in Raleigh the past two years, so I'm assuming that's solid competition. Christ School, who I watched them beat in the state Semis, has a very strong program.

Even if you don't think this guy is going to be a stud, you really shouldn't criticize our staff for bringing him in considering the need for a PG and that he was the best available.

Yep. Also nice to have someone that won states in MVP fashion.

Ravenscroft doesn't play anybody, their league consists of a bunch of smallish private schools in the triangle. My small 2AA high school (Northwood Pittsboro) used to wax them every year, but that was before they had Anton Gill or Madison Jones.

Last edited:
Ravenscroft doesn't play anybody, their league consists of a bunch of smallish private schools in the triangle. My small 2AA high school (Northwood Pittsboro) used to wax them every year, but that was before they had Anton Gill or Madison Jones.

The league rotates in terms of talent. I went to one of their rivals and we had three guys go to D-1 programs one year. My buddy guarded Anthony morrow several times. Other years the whole league is mediocre at best.

That's pretty much the bottom line. He looks like a project to me but what other options do we have?

The league rotates in terms of talent. I went to one of their rivals and we had three guys go to D-1 programs one year. My buddy guarded Anthony morrow several times. Other years the whole league is mediocre at best.

On another note, those schools are a trip the way they spend money, I went to an away Football game at Ravenscroft one year and they had a laser light show at half time, and the refs were mic'ed up.

Last edited:
I like the looks of Jones in general, even beyond just filling a need for another guard on the roster. This was a good get as far as I can tell.

The 3A private school level was actually pretty good this year. Ravenscroft (Anton Gill --> Louisville) was actually the 2 seed.

The 1 seed was High Point Christian, which has a couple of potential D1 players. 3 seed Christ school is a powerhouse (I think they had won 5 straight state titles) with multiple D1 players pretty much every year. 4 seed Greensboro Day has future high-major player Reggie Dillard. 5th seeded Wesleyan has Montay Brandon (FSU) and two of the best sophomores in the country (Theo Pinson and Jaquel Richmond). The league has very little depth, but the teams at the top are quality.

Ravenscroft also played multiple games against Greenfield (Rountree obviously, plus Sam Hughes), in addition to playing United Faith and Word of God. Madison probably played one of the tougher schedules this year, in comparison to the other 6 commits.

Same here, numbers.

Yeah, I think he will be pretty solid with more strength. Don't know about his outside shooting or lateral quickness but everything looks good.

The 3A private school level was actually pretty good this year. Ravenscroft (Anton Gill --> Louisville) was actually the 2 seed.

The 1 seed was High Point Christian, which has a couple of potential D1 players. 3 seed Christ school is a powerhouse (I think they had won 5 straight state titles) with multiple D1 players pretty much every year. 4 seed Greensboro Day has future high-major player Reggie Dillard. 5th seeded Wesleyan has Montay Brandon (FSU) and two of the best sophomores in the country (Theo Pinson and Jaquel Richmond). The league has very little depth, but the teams at the top are quality.

Ravenscroft also played multiple games against Greenfield (Rountree obviously, plus Sam Hughes), in addition to playing United Faith and Word of God. Madison probably played one of the tougher schedules this year, in comparison to the other 6 commits.

Thanks for clarifying this.

whew, now i feel a whole lot better.....

I like the looks of Jones in general, even beyond just filling a need for another guard on the roster. This was a good get as far as I can tell.

Agreed. Plus, he really wants to be a Deacon. We backed off him when we got the commit from CMM. With the decisions to leave by TC and Ant, it created a need that he was thrilled to fill. Looks like this situation has turned out pretty favorably for the Deacs.

This speaks volumes. When even PhDeac finds a reason not to criticize our coaches, they probably didn't screw up. 7 freshmen is a lot but it sounds like the staff did its very best to pick up a quality player who fills a major need.

A 7-man class is a symptom, not the problem. Heck, I'd even go further and say that a 7 man class is likely blowing your nose. [Redacted]'s problems getting along with players is the cold.

Got to say it's good news for this class that we've heard nothing about Battle leaving over the last week.

This speaks volumes. When even PhDeac finds a reason not to criticize our coaches, they probably didn't screw up. 7 freshmen is a lot but it sounds like the staff did its very best to pick up a quality player who fills a major need.

Agreed. There's no need to criticize the coaches for bringing him in. There's plenty of criticism in reserve for whatever Bzz did to cause the transfers that forced us to need to bring him in.

Back