• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Madison Recs

ToughLoveDeac

Ricky Peral
Reaction score
Going to be up in Madison, WI for the next couple nights visiting the main campus. Any food/bar recs from the Pit?

I assume you're staying downtown? The Old Fashioned and Cooper's Tavern on the capitol square are two of my favorite places for Wisconsin type food and they both have tons of good beers on tap. If you want something more upscale I really like Fresco on State Street. Dotty Dumpling's Dowry is my favorite burger place but it's a little more towards campus.

As far as bars, the rule of thumb is that the closer you are to the capitol the less the bar will be like a college bar. Paul's Club on State is probably my favorite Capitol bar for beer and Merchant which is just off the square is known for their cocktails. If you want to check out the college bars I'd suggest State Street Brats or Wando's.

I don't know if you'll still be here Saturday when we play Ohio State but if you need info on what to do for gameday I can answer any questions you might have for that too.

anyone have anything to add to this thread? heading up today for the weekend...

50s on Friday and Saturday. Warm enough to head to the union and sit by the lake drinking beers. Otherwise, I second Badger's recommendations -- but it looked like Paul's was closed last time I was there (maybe for renovations). Also, I always end up at the Great Dane at some point. I also miss Ian's pizza.

thanks. Looking at the Best Western Inn on the park. Looks like its right on the square.

I've stayed there -- decent hotel with great views of the capital. You'll be near Genna's, which is a good place for martinis.

good location for downtown fun right? seems to be the only one down in the thick of things

good location for downtown fun right? seems to be the only one down in the thick of things

Absolutely -- but there are a bunch of good hotels in the area where you can walk to state street, the capital -- concourse, hilton (on monona), edgewater (on mendota). The Best Western is the most budget friendly.

I opened this thread to recommend Fuzzy's BBQ, but then I realized you weren't talking about Madison NC.

50s on Friday and Saturday. Warm enough to head to the union and sit by the lake drinking beers. Otherwise, I second Badger's recommendations -- but it looked like Paul's was closed last time I was there (maybe for renovations). Also, I always end up at the Great Dane at some point. I also miss Ian's pizza.

I had Ian's Pizza last week. It's excellent.

Sorry I didn't see this earlier, but most of my recommendations still stand. Paul's is definitely still open but they moved to a bigger location down the street. The big tree in the middle of it is still there but it doesn't have quite the presence as it did in the old place. Graduated in December and a late night slice of Ian's is definitely one of the things I miss most.

Had a blast, what a great town. Ate/drank at Cooper's, Merchant, Sardine. Some appetizers and drinks at Fresco - and was not disappointed.

thanks for the recs we basically used this thread as a guide. wow, the Pit has some redeeming value

Back