• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Mafia C9++ week of June 12 -- sign-up thread

Disney World has wifi probably
I mean I can definitely half-ass it but it would be significantly worse than my normal performance which is saying something. Unless I'm just absolutely needed I'll follow along and beg Juice to be added into Mafchat or Deadchat.

wakegrrl puts us at 13

i'm game for a different setup to include more people, but would need some input on which format is best -- not going to write a game for next week

also happy to bow out as lead on this week and just play if someone had a written game for a larger group they wanted to play if we got numbers

How do I play
It’s an annoying answer, but the best way to learn is by playing.

You essentially are on a team (mafia or civilians) and are trying to eliminate the other team. Mafia can talk outside of the thread and know their teammates, civilians cannot. There’s a vote every “day” to eliminate one player, and some roles can kill players at “night.”

Outside of that it’s mostly trolling each other and goofing off.

How do I play
Just have fun.

Basic Rules​

In its simplest form, Mafia consists of two sides: the Mafia, and the Town. The Mafia's goal is to kill the Town, while the Town's goal is to kill the Mafia.

At the beginning of the game, the Moderator will secretly send everyone their role. The Mafia will know each other by being in a chatroom together, while (in the basic game) everyone else will only know their own role and won't be able to communicate about the game outside of the game.

The game has two phases, the first of which is Day. During Day, you can post in the game thread. By the end of the day, the Town must choose someone to Eliminate; they are trying to get rid of the Mafia, but the Mafia can lead them astray by casting suspicion elsewhere. Generally, players will vote for someone they think is Mafia (the Mafia will vote so that they seem to be doing this as well, and might even vote for each other to confuse the Town); when a player gets a majority of the votes, they are eliminated. Their role is revealed by the Moderator, and it becomes Night.

During the Night, the thread is locked and no one can talk publicly. The Mafia, however, can speak to each other privately to plot strategy and decide who to murder before the next Day begins. In this way, they can kill members of the Town who are threats to them. At the end of the Night, the murder is carried out and another Day begins. The town is told who has been killed/eliminated from the game. In effect, the Town gets to kill someone, and then the Mafia gets to kill someone.

The game alternates between Day and Night until either the Mafia are gone, or the Mafia have killed everyone else (or nothing can prevent the same).

To see this another way, you may find this Flash introduction to Mafia by mikeburnfire helpful.

wakegrrl puts us at 13

i'm game for a different setup to include more people, but would need some input on which format is best -- not going to write a game for next week

also happy to bow out as lead on this week and just play if someone had a written game for a larger group they wanted to play if we got numbers
Let YoungBuck play and just add a vanilla civ. A rusty game like this isn't going to swing on 1 additional civilian.

Back