• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Make NC State The Thanksgiving Week Rivalry

As a person who works with a job that has a chair, I'm fine with the Vandy game and "rivalry." Honestly, I know more people that went to Vandy than went to NC State. It feels a bit more like a rivalry when I get trash talk from friends.

FIFY.

As a person who works with a job that has a chair. I would rather see NC State for the Thanksgiving game.

Terrible idea.

1) this game will never be heavily attended by the Wake faithful. 75 percent of our students (and alumni) live outside the state of North Carolina. They are with their families for Thanksgiving.

2). NC State will (and has) traveled heavily to a game at Wake on this weekend.

There is NO reason to play an important divisional confererence game in those conditions. Vandy faces the same problems and is why they are the perfect Thanksgiving opponent.

Beat me to it....it would end up being a neutral site game as opposed to a home gam or us

So we should schedule around the fact that our fans suck? Nice.

Maybe our fans would actually show up to a Thanksgiving game against an opponent they care about.

With all due respect to the students, if the students are all out of town, that's only about 2,000 fans out of 30,000.

So we should schedule around the fact that our fans suck? Nice.

Maybe our fans would actually show up to a Thanksgiving game against an opponent they care about.

With all due respect to the students, if the students are all out of town, that's only about 2,000 fans out of 30,000.

It has nothing to do with our fans sucking and everything to do with our fanbase being small and spread out compared to a large State school. Of the 30+ people I regularly tailgate with, only about 5-6 of them live in Winston. The rest are traveling in every weekend from Charlotte, DC, Columbia, Raleigh, etc. Thanksgiving weekend is a near impossible game to make for most of those folks, and the opponent had nothing to do with their lack of attendance.

Terrible idea.

1) this game will never be heavily attended by the Wake faithful. 75 percent of our students (and alumni) live outside the state of North Carolina. They are with their families for Thanksgiving.

2). NC State will (and has) traveled heavily to a game at Wake on this weekend.

There is NO reason to play an important divisional confererence game in those conditions. Vandy faces the same problems and is why they are the perfect Thanksgiving opponent.

QFT

It has nothing to do with our fans sucking and everything to do with our fanbase being small and spread out compared to a large State school. Of the 30+ people I regularly tailgate with, only about 5-6 of them live in Winston. The rest are traveling in every weekend from Charlotte, DC, Columbia, Raleigh, etc. Thanksgiving weekend is a near impossible game to make for most of those folks, and the opponent had nothing to do with their lack of attendance.

So it's an incurable problem then.

Fuck it, let's all pack it in and go home.

So it's an incurable problem then.

The attendance problem on Thanksgiving weekend? Yes, until we grow our fan base to the point that there are enough locals willing to buy the tickets and attend when out of towners can't make it. Until then, it makes far more sense to play a Vandy on that weekend than a conference game against a local ACC team that will travel well in a game that could have ACC Championship and major bowl implications.

I like playing the State rivalry in October. Best football weather and we both can still pretend that the outcome matters at that point in the season.

State should resume its place as our final basketball game of the season. There was no reason to stop that tradition.

I like playing the State rivalry in October. Best football weather and we both can still pretend that the outcome matters at that point in the season.

State should resume its place as our final basketball game of the season. There was no reason to stop that tradition.

Agree about that.

I like the idea of having NC State as our conference opener every year. As for Thanksgiving weekend, why not just plain a meaningless 1AA opponent? No one is showing up anyway. If the Vandy game (and I think it's a good idea to keep it on the schedule) is scheduled during school then it could actually turn into a rivalry. That will absolutely not happen as long as it's scheduled on Thanksgiving weekend.

Many Vandy fans are not aware we play them every year because the game is over Thanksgiving. The best option with our student situation is to either end the season before Thanksgiving or always play an away game/neutral site game that weekend.

Yeah playing state over T-giving would be a terrible idea. It would be a State home game. It's also a terrible idea as long as TOB is the coach, cause his teams are good at the end of the year.

Can't play a FCS during thanksgiving because that's when their playoffs start. No fcs plays that week except playoff teams.

Can't play a FCS during thanksgiving because that's when their playoffs start. No fcs plays that week except playoff teams.

Damn, didn't think about that. Maybe a low level FBS program then?

Many Vandy fans are not aware we play them every year because the game is over Thanksgiving. The best option with our student situation is to either end the season before Thanksgiving or always play an away game/neutral site game that weekend.

Agree with this if feasible. Unless we play UNC/State or a big name OOC team that weekend, our tgiving crowd will always be mediocre. And if we do play a rival or tough OOC team, there will be tons of visiting fans in the student section and elsewhere in the stadium.

Back