• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Man burned by fajitas while praying can't sue Applebee's

Or the rent was due

Those lawyers get paid on a contingency basis. They take on dog shit cases like these because it's cheaper for the gas station to settle than litigate the case.

I've seen some seriously fucked up cases brought to court only to settle.

Sorry, the original ad had some typos

lionel-hutz-advertisment.png

Those lawyers get paid on a contingency basis. They take on dog shit cases like these because it's cheaper for the gas station to settle than litigate the case.

I've seen some seriously fucked up cases brought to court only to settle.

They have to front and risk all the money, though. Not exactly a successful business formula to take on dog shit cases.

They have to front and risk all the money, though. Not exactly a successful business formula to take on dog shit cases.

Which is why they take 1/3 if they win.

I've seen a suit filed by a guy representing a widow whose husband was in a car accident with a CSX truck. At the hospital they discovered he had cancer which ultimately killed him. The attorney argued that the trauma from the accident resulted in the cancer advancing more aggressively and it could have been treated.

I've seen a suit filed by a guy representing a widow whose husband was in a car accident with a CSX truck. At the hospital they discovered he had cancer which ultimately killed him. The attorney argued that the trauma from the accident resulted in the cancer advancing more aggressively and it could have been treated.

And? Is it that inconceivable that serious generalized trauma could weaken the body's defenses to cancer?

By the way, the going rate is now 35% before trial/appeal and 40% after.

Seems to work out pretty well for many of them. They know the other side is paying for their lawyers by the hour so they get small settlements on crap cases without having to put in any substantive work.

Seems to work out pretty well for many of them. They know the other side is paying for their lawyers by the hour so they get small settlements on crap cases without having to put in any substantive work.

Define "pretty well." If you think there are ton of lawyers out there showering in riches because they're getting nuisance money on a large majority of their cases...you're out of your mind.

Ok, so what's your issue if you have one? And, if you do, what's your remedy?

I've seen very few truly frivolous suits since I've been in practice (and while clerking). Suffice it to say, Less is correct.

Define "pretty well." If you think there are ton of lawyers out there showering in riches because they're getting nuisance money on a large majority of their cases...you're out of your mind.

I deal with several personal injury attorneys who go for quantity over quality on a daily basis. Their model with those cases is to get early settlements for a few thousand bucks before investing any major work. This probably explains why BSD doesn't see them while clerking. Many insurers will pay because it's less than litigation will cost.

Are there a ton of them? No. But I'd be willing to bet that wherever you go you'll find a few lawyers that are constantly taking the cases that none of the others will take.

Back