• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Manning Article

Psydeac

Richard Joyce
Reaction score
There have been some good articles on Demon Deacon Digest (old paid Scout site). Recent Manning interview initially seemed like all the rest where all responses were simply stating the obvious but this one got a little more out of him. http://www.scout.com/college/wake-forest/story/1722966-manning-on-moore-building-roster Below is one interesting selection.

Manning: “There are so many challenges that are out there that are just part of the job. When you take over a job, part of the reason is to coach the guys that are there, but when you get there, you have to re-recruit those guys. They look at you like, ‘you didn’t recruit me. You didn’t recruit me for this system.’ So you go through that, but then you’re also trying to actively recruit incoming kids. Then there’s the elephant in the room, with APR. A lot of times you get saddled with whatever number the school has. Wake Forest had a good number, but not good enough where you can walk in there and have a conversation with each individual that probably would have been a little different.
“I thought going into it that I wanted to give everybody on the roster a chance. I feel good about that, because that’s what we did. The process of the players we have now to where we started kind of weeded itself out so to speak.”

Nothing earth shattering but the bit about APR and fact that conversations would have been different with existing team members if APR had been higher seemed a little more honest than perhaps even he meant to be.

I don't believe transfers have an impact on APR unless the leaving student-athlete is in poor academic standing. So I'm not sure what Manning meant there.

When I look at a thread title that says "Manning Article" and my first thought is Peyton, makes me realize how irrelevant our basketball program has been for much too long now.

When I look at a thread title that says "Manning Article" and my first thought is Peyton, makes me realize how irrelevant our basketball program has been for much too long now.

+1

Here are the APR (Academic Progress Rate) numbers for all the ACC men's basketball teams for the latest year (2014-15).

Just don't ask me to explain exactly what is the APR and how it is computed. :) Any ranking related to academics that puts Louisville and Clemson at the top is a little suspect. :D

Maybe Wikipedia can help: Academic Progress Rate. In any case, it's better to be sixth than next to last.

Source: http://web1.ncaa.org/maps/aprRelease.jsp

Clemson 1000
Louisville 1000
Duke 995
Pittsburgh 995
Georgia Tech 985
Wake Forest 983
Syracuse 980
Miami 980
Virginia 979
Florida State 978
UNC-CH 974
Notre Dame 974
Boston College 968
NCSU 966
VA Tech 952

Got to admit that wouldn't have guessed Clemson and L'ville would lead the academic ratings in any category among ACC schools. Would guess that L'ville basketball is near or at the top of ACC in JUCO transfers including Chris Jones.

Got to admit that wouldn't have guessed Clemson and L'ville would lead the academic ratings in any category among ACC schools. Would guess that L'ville basketball is near or at the top of ACC in JUCO transfers including Chris Jones.

My guess is that means Clemson & Louisville are just plain easy to get through and graduate from.

But, but. The Foundation.

How can we take APR seriously if it doesn't account for how guys wear their socks?

Here are the APR numbers for 2013-14, the year before Manning became head coach:

Lville 1000
Pitt 1000
Duke 995
Miami 990
CLMSN 989
GA Tech 989
UVa 984
ND 974
FSU 970
SYR 970
BC 965
WFU 959