• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Manning Buyout Negotiations Have Begun

From what I can gather (which is severely limited at his point), the decision to announce the firing of Manning will not take place until a new coach has agreed to a contract.

seems unrealistic to keep a lid on it unless you are saying players, assistants, staff, etc. won't know until that point as well.

"People are being brought up to date today. News incoming soon."

Word for word the text I received just over three hours ago.

sorry, that was about what my office is doing about coronavirus....must've sent it to you by mistake.

From what I can gather (which is severely limited at his point), the decision to announce the firing of Manning will not take place until a new coach has agreed to a contract.

Maybe we only way it can happen is giving the job to Wes. If we do, his dad floats much of the buyout. I can see this being a scenario.

Wes and pops are holding out for a 10 year guaranteed contract starting at $3M/year and scaling up to $5M/year by the end, with an automatic 5 year extension for reaching the NCAA during the first 10, and additional 5 year extensions for every NCAA appearance after that. Should have it wrapped by Thursday of next week.

that makes the most sense. what i was saying about the buyout funds. if you don't have a solid hire in place, no reason to fire manning. just suck with him like you'd suck with another shit coach.

This has been my thought behind what will occur for a while now. Really the only good explanation for waiting on the announcement.

Any idea if that’s because if our top candidates reject us we would stick with Manning? Because that would be such massive bullshit

Any idea if that’s because if our top candidates reject us we would stick with Manning? Because that would be such massive bullshit

if you were putting up the funds to buyout manning and couldn't get someone like matta, wouldn't you say let's wait? wes miller isn't making an immediate impact. not saying he sucks, just that he will lose next year just like manning would lose.

imho

Would you rather another year of Manning and get a bigger name next year or fire Manning and hire someone like Pat Kelsey or Wes Miller?

My choice would still be to fire him and bring in a lesser named coach. At least there's a chance of success with new blood.

It's bigger than just a new coach. Currie need to do something to make it clear that he's serious about having a winning men's basketball program.

If we cant get a big name coach now, why the fuck would tanking the program another year entice one next year? Cut out losses and hire the best person available

don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good. His contract is a sunk cost. Cut that shit loose.

Would you rather another year of Manning and get a bigger name next year or fire Manning and hire someone like Pat Kelsey or Wes Miller?

My choice would still be to fire him and bring in a lesser named coach. At least there's a chance of success with new blood.

true.
i'm just thinking if it was me having to put millions up to fire his sorry ass.
it's all a shit show anyhow

that's life though
:)

I think Currie has learned the lessons on keeping his hires entirely secret. Bad for us, but he probably doesn't want Tennessee version 2. That is why I think Manning knows, and Currie is trying to land someone else.

If we don't have it in place yet, we can be pretty sure it's not Matta or Beilein. Oh well. It was nice being hopeful for a week or two.

Definitely more smoke out there over the last 24 hours. I’d wager most people that have sources have similar sources (or at least their sources are getting information from roughly the same people). Wake has been very tight lipped about this again this year - just like last - and there simply isn’t much information out there.

Back