• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Manning Buyout Negotiations Have Begun

This seems like a reasonable take.

I agree 100%. I cant blame Currie for this, as much as I want Manning gone. Now if Currie comes out with a "of heavens yes I like paint touches" then all bets are off and I will get kicked out of the Joel next year....

FWIW, there was a good article on CPSSports today on coaching changes in college basketball and how the current situation has impacted it. There is a 2 way street here of impact that most, including me, haven't thought about much.

It's more difficult for AD's right now because they have a hard time meeting coaches in person and eventually they want to. And of course the money impact and not really knowing what their budget is going to look like.

But on the other side apparently alot of coaches are not looking to move right now. The idea of potentially uprooting your family is not appealing during this time to most of them. Also, just like it is hard for AD's to meet in person with them, they would want to see the campus and facilities and really can't do that right now.

Sounds like the team hasn’t heard anything yet. Probably a sign he’s returning, unless Currie is holding out to give time to raise more money and allowing the main wave of COVID-19 to pass.

Last edited:
This would be a lot worse if not for the virus. No one is going anywhere. Recruiting is stagnant.

Sounds like the team hasn’t heard anything yet. Probably a sign he’s returning, unless Currie is holding out to give time to raise more money and allowing the main wave of COVID-19 to pass.

If Currie knew that Danny was coming back, why wouldn’t he just announce it? I think the longer this thing goes the better. Conor has said there will be announcement made one way or the other. If Currie knew that the BOT and Hatch said no, then he would’ve announced it by now I would think. I really do think Currie wants Manning gone though.

If Currie knew that Danny was coming back, why wouldn’t he just announce it? I think the longer this thing goes the better. Conor has said there will be announcement made one way or the other. If Currie knew that the BOT and Hatch said no, then he would’ve announced it by now I would think. I really do think Currie wants Manning gone though.

100% Currie wants his ass gone. I don’t think that’s debatable. He’s getting fucked by COVID-19 and Wellman’s contract. If a decision has been made, I don’t know what the holdout on at least letting the players know for transfer purposes.

This would be a lot worse if not for the virus. No one is going anywhere. Recruiting is stagnant.

What evidence do you have of this? All I am seeing in my Twitter feed is a flurry of transfers, offers, and commits INVOLVING OTHER SCHOOLS. It's only stagnant for us (and we've even made some recent offers).

Keeping Manning around is only digging the hole deeper for the next coach, IF we even decided to move on after next year.

I am still hoping that Currie has an ace up his sleeve... Because the prospect of another year under Manning is sickening.

I guess you are getting stuff not on ESPN or Rivals. Duke got a grad transfer from Columbia. But there haven't been many other commitments.Of course, there are only 10 of EPSN's Top 100 available at this point.

None of the Top 7 transfers from Rivals have committed. Three out ESPN's Top 20 transfers have committed and only three of the Top 20 grad transfers have committed.

With nothing else going on, that seems very much stagnant.

Wow, if the team wants new leadership, they must not realize the power they hold. Let Brown, Sarr, and Mucius go to Currie's office and let him know they'd be excited for a change and that would go a long way in ending this bullshit era of Wake hoops.
So in summary: the AD, the team, and every fan wants a coaching change, but that may not be enough to get it done.

If some message board posters have #sauces that indicate that (some of) the team wants him gone, I am pretty sure the AD already has that information.

I've been critical of Currie making these random tweets lately about restaurants, but I think that was probably unfair. I still view him as an ally - like many of the rest of you, I think he knows DM needs to go and his FTQ seemed to point to that reality. So he probably is doing everything he can. Guess I'm extending that 'love and grace' to him also.

I still think he's on the verge of bungling this if too much more time goes by before any word one way or the other, because I do think that lack of communication disrespects the few loyal fans you've got. Last year's communication set a precedent and we can't be faulted for wanting that minimal standard to be upheld. But Currie might still be doing all he can in the face of serious headwinds and I'm going to keep giving him the benefit of the doubt for the moment.

If the AD wants the coach fired he needs to find a way to get it done.

Back