• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Manning Buyout Negotiations Have Begun

The thing I can’t figure out at all is why Manning would want to even come back. Is it really worth it for him?

There is literally no support for him that I’m aware of. The number of fans in seats is falling rapidly and is going to plummet next year if he’s back. Who would put themselves through that if there is an alternative on the table?

He probably believes in his coaching abilities, thinking that if he gets his players, gets them to stay, gets paint touches and free throws and wins will follow.

He probably believes in his coaching abilities, thinking that if he gets his players, gets them to stay, gets paint touches and free throws and wins will follow.

This is correct. Danny doesn’t believe anything is his fault. He has never taken responsibility for any failures since he has been the coach. He’s not a leader. According to him, his failure is the fault of the players, fans, administration, and university.

The thing I can’t figure out at all is why Manning would want to even come back. Is it really worth it for him?

There is literally no support for him that I’m aware of. The number of fans in seats is falling rapidly and is going to plummet next year if he’s back. Who would put themselves through that if there is an alternative on the table?

I find some leaders to be incredibly tone deaf and just blissfully unaware of what the masses think. I can imagine Coach living in a total bubble where everyone is just nodding their heads and smiling as he pulls into his reserved space, hits his plush office, goes on recruiting trips. And this isn't a criticism per se, but Manning has led this sort of life since he was probably a teenager.

I agree with this. Pretty sure he is too stupid and arrogant to figure out reality.

What coaching abilities??!

Regurgitating repetitively the need for paint touches and free throws in practices and post game??! :dumb:

Well the alternative is presumably quite a bit less than $15 million. So the answer to your question is a lot of people would put up with continuing on for that kind of money.

Even though we don’t know anything about the actual numbers, let’s assume he’s owed $15M and we’re offering a lump sum of $12. If you’re someone who earned $60M gross during an NBA career, he should have at least $20M in the bank. I’d know giving up $3M is real money but I’d take the $12M and get the hell out of town ASAP.

As others have said, maybe he legitimately thinks he can turn it around. Delusional.

Last edited:
Even though we don’t know anything about the actual numbers, let’s assume he’s owed $15M and we’re offering a lump sum of $12. If you’re someone who earned $60M gross during an NBA career, he should have at least $20M in the bank. I’d know giving up $3M is real money but I’d take the $12M and get the hell out of town ASAP.

As others have said, maybe he legitimately thinks he can turn it around. Delusional.

Us being only 1/5 short of the buyout certainly fits that narrative. But with coronavirus and the economy’s response to it, seems much more likely that we are farther short than that. After all, Glenn reported that we had entered negotiations on the buyout. Which means that we at one point were close enough with the money that Manning/Manning’s agent were willing to negotiate an exit. Doesn’t look like that’s true anymore.

The reality is we don’t know a damn thing about what’s going on. Every thought/idea/straw man/hypothetical on this thread is speculation.

Only exceptions are posts from BabyDeac and a few others who have access to some info.

The reality is we don’t know a damn thing about what’s going on. Every thought/idea/straw man/hypothetical on this thread is speculation.

Only exceptions are posts from BabyDeac and a few others who have access to some info.

I’m not claiming to know anything. Your original post asked why Manning would sacrifice his dignity to continuing coaching here. I gave a more than reasonable possibility.

I’m not claiming to know anything. Your original post asked why Manning would sacrifice his dignity to continuing coaching here. I gave a more than reasonable possibility.

Agree that your post was totally reasonable. My apologies if I implied otherwise.

I find some leaders to be incredibly tone deaf and just blissfully unaware of what the masses think. I can imagine Coach living in a total bubble where everyone is just nodding their heads and smiling as he pulls into his reserved space, hits his plush office, goes on recruiting trips. And this isn't a criticism per se, but Manning has led this sort of life since he was probably a teenager.

He has lived in that bubble since he was a teenager.

Back