• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Manning Buyout Negotiations Have Begun

I just want to make clear that I wasn't criticizing Conor. I fully support him and his approach. In fact, publicly demonstrating that he is asking the questions and trying to get answers but is getting stonewalled is a pretty effective way to cover the current fiasco in the WFU AD. I think Dan is a good dude and a good writer, who felt that his hands were tied. Dan did a great job for the first 20 or so years of his career, but then then Wellman ruined everything and started acting like soviet era Russian press secretary.

Always good to have you in my corner, John.

As I've told you on Facebook, telling me I'm not Dan isn't the slight you seem to think it is. I've never said that's who I want to be and never even implied it.

Also as I've told you; you're welcome to submit your concerns about my coverage to the Journal. Write a letter to the editor. Send a Facebook message. Send snail mail.

Can I like both Dan and Conor? 22 may be right that we will not have Conor on the beat for long, but not for the reason 22 may think.

I would guess and perhaps he is not at liberty to say, but Conor probably would not agree to a "no-hoops" stipulation and Currie knows that.

"Conor is no Dan. He won’t last long as WF beat reporter." I originally took this as being complimentary to Conor - meaning he will get bigger and better opportunities than covering Wake whereas Dan was content to stay in W-S. If it was meant to be derogatory and based on Conor's reply, it was, than that poster clearly doesn't have a clue about good sports writing or reporting.

Keep up the great work Conor!

also i am trying to tie danny's record for the number of times you can use conor's name in one sitting

Currie feels empowered to act this way because he's surrounded by people who do it on a daily basis. Thanks to rich parents and federal loan money all Wake does these days is print money, with zero to no accountability. Success is secondary.

Currie feels empowered to act this way because he's surrounded by people who do it on a daily basis. Thanks to rich parents and federal loan money all Wake does these days is print money, with zero to no accountability. Success is secondary.

Pretty much true, except the coffers aren't as deep as people believe. The law school and graduate business programs are hanging on by a thread financially, and the AD while better off than many schools is behind it's peers in the ACC. Bloated admin is soaking up a lot of the money, but overall there is less money to begin with as well when comparing to similar institutions in academic and athletic stature.

Wow.Talk about hot takes. And self contradictory. Facepalm

loan =/= printed money.

If Manning was definitely coming back, what better time for Currie to address it than now, when even amongst us die-hards it's probably not anywhere near the top of our concerns/priorities right now? Currie has some level of "cover" right now to say he's keeping Manning; his refusal to address it publicly to me anyway means he's still focused on trying to find a way out of bringing Manning back, even if it means we go "interim" for next season (if there is a season).

As I've told you on Facebook, telling me I'm not Dan isn't the slight you seem to think it is. I've never said that's who I want to be and never even implied it.

Also as I've told you; you're welcome to submit your concerns about my coverage to the Journal. Write a letter to the editor. Send a Facebook message. Send snail mail.

I thought saying you're not Dan, was meant as a compliment. Separate thought: You won't last long.

#ConorIn
#HeCantAndWillNotBeSilenced

Meh. There are multiple reporters who do nothing but cover the Panthers and they complain all the time about lack of access to the GM and owner while criticizing them and the coaches ans players as they deem warranted. As diminished as the role of the print media has become, Wake Forest Athletics still needs the Winston-Salem Journal.

Wow.Talk about hot takes. And self contradictory. Facepalm

loan =/= printed money.

Bro...you dumb

Wake accepts money from rich parents, as well as millions that was given to students through the process of federal loans. I have no idea how you misunderstood that.

Is this what $75K/year pays for? Y'all need to bring back the SAT stat...

Conor’s work as Wakes beat writer may be the best thing wake has going for them right now.

Conor’s work as Wakes beat writer may be the best thing wake has going for them right now.

Conor and Les. Golden age of Wake beat coverage.

SAT will continue to decrease at colleges for admission. Wake was well ahead of the curve there and rightfully so.

I would guess and perhaps he is not at liberty to say, but Conor probably would not agree to a "no-hoops" stipulation and Currie knows that.

"Conor is no Dan. He won’t last long as WF beat reporter." I originally took this as being complimentary to Conor - meaning he will get bigger and better opportunities than covering Wake whereas Dan was content to stay in W-S. If it was meant to be derogatory and based on Conor's reply, it was, than that poster clearly doesn't have a clue about good sports writing or reporting.

Keep up the great work Conor!

also i am trying to tie danny's record for the number of times you can use conor's name in one sitting

17 in 35 minutes! 2:03 average, haha.

I appreciate the positive feedback from yall. Appreciate anything constructive that's put on here as well.

The 22 comments aren't constructive, though. It's a continuation of comments from one of the Facebook groups in January, when the Santino Marucci kid committed. He commented something of "Good riddance, Newman," to which I pointed out that even if Jamie had stayed, they'd still have needed a QB in the '21 class. Conversation, if you can call it that, devolved from there, with him explaining that I'm too sensitive (maybe has a point), that I'm nothing like Dan (definitely has a point; I only played trumpet in 4th and 5th grade and can't sing to save my life) and that my time at the Journal would be short because of those things.

I encouraged him then, as I do now, to please reach out to my editors and tell them what an awful job I'm doing. If it's constructive then shit, maybe I'll take his criticisms into consideration. But if all he has to offer is "You're not Dan" and "your career will be short" ... then hell, I don't know what to do with those nuggets.

SAT will continue to decrease at colleges for admission. Wake was well ahead of the curve there and rightfully so.

I’m undecided on the SAT issue but without a publicly announced quota system getting rid of it only makes it more likely that a university will accept students with deeper pockets, which in turn will jack up tuition rates even further.

17 in 35 minutes! 2:03 average, haha.

I appreciate the positive feedback from yall. Appreciate anything constructive that's put on here as well.

The 22 comments aren't constructive, though. It's a continuation of comments from one of the Facebook groups in January, when the Santino Marucci kid committed. He commented something of "Good riddance, Newman," to which I pointed out that even if Jamie had stayed, they'd still have needed a QB in the '21 class. Conversation, if you can call it that, devolved from there, with him explaining that I'm too sensitive (maybe has a point), that I'm nothing like Dan (definitely has a point; I only played trumpet in 4th and 5th grade and can't sing to save my life) and that my time at the Journal would be short because of those things.

I encouraged him then, as I do now, to please reach out to my editors and tell them what an awful job I'm doing. If it's constructive then shit, maybe I'll take his criticisms into consideration. But if all he has to offer is "You're not Dan" and "your career will be short" ... then hell, I don't know what to do with those nuggets.

You pick that trumpet back up and take voice lessons. That’s what you do!
Seriously, I appreciate your coverage. It is refreshing. It’s possible to be honest and respectful. I think your writing typically shows that. As long as you keep doing that, I’m a fan.

Back