• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Manning Buyout Negotiations Have Begun

Now with the market completely in shambles we have to hope that doesn't scare shah and Sutton away from shelling out the cash. The perfect storm.

Chatted with a few people last weekend who are long time season ticket holders and several of them gave up their tickets this season, a few more said they would follow suit this year if Manning comes back. A few of these are two and three decade plus season ticket holders walking away from the program. If Wake doesn’t fire Manning this year I honestly believe the program officially crosses the Rubicon. We’ve been gazing across the banks for years but may be ready to dive in head first.

That happened for me last year.

The thing that always attracted me to Wake was that because it was a smaller school, it had to be smarter and try harder. That was Wake for a long time. It made the failures more tolerable and the victories sweeter.

At some point Wake stopped trying harder and became dumber than the competition. Just really hard to find anything compelling about what Wake has become and really hard to actually care.

A lot needs to change for Wake to regain what made it special. Hope Currie understands that.

Currie didn't take the Wake AD job to continue to suck in our flagship sport.

Keeping the faith. The truth will out.
He could have taken the job because he needed one, it's his alma mater, his predecessor was paid REALLY well and there are no expectations of winning. Let's not pretend like Currie would have turned down the job on moral grounds if Hatch had told him in his interview that Manning was coach for life.

After the last ten years, if we give our losingest coach ever another year because of a buyout then we do not care about basketball success. Just shut the door and call ourselves DePaul. I have to believe they make a move almost immediately after the ACC Tournament. If not, forget it.

If Currie is the AD we want, the next coach has already been hired in everything but signature.

If Currie is the AD we want, the next coach has already been hired in everything but signature.

If Currie was the AD we want, Manning would have been gone last summer. If money was the problem then, if he was the AD we wanted, he would have successfully lobbied the BOT for less than 1% of its $1 billion of free money to get it fixed. But he is not, and he didn't, because he is a hapless stooge. There is literally zero evidence to indicate that he will handle this remotely correctly in any way, and yet there is 10 constant years of evidence to indicate that it will get fucked up.

On a similar theme, FB just reminded me of a post I made on this day in 2009...

"amazed that the Deacs went 7-1 vs. the Top 25 and 3-1 vs. the Top 10, and yet lost to some of the worst teams in the ACC..."

Man, I miss the days of worrying about bad conference losses because we were, you know, actually good enough to have bad losses.

reminder: Wellman fired Dino because he couldn't win in the postseason the last year we won in the postseason over the last decade.

If Currie was the AD we want, Manning would have been gone last summer. If money was the problem then, if he was the AD we wanted, he would have successfully lobbied the BOT for less than 1% of its $1 billion of free money to get it fixed. But he is not, and he didn't, because he is a hapless stooge. There is literally zero evidence to indicate that he will handle this remotely correctly in any way, and yet there is 10 constant years of evidence to indicate that it will get fucked up.
Jesus Christ.

100% agree with you. I will believe Currie is not a Wellman clone when he does something. So far I am unimpressed.

Chatted with a few people last weekend who are long time season ticket holders and several of them gave up their tickets this season, a few more said they would follow suit this year if Manning comes back. A few of these are two and three decade plus season ticket holders walking away from the program. If Wake doesn’t fire Manning this year I honestly believe the program officially crosses the Rubicon. We’ve been gazing across the banks for years but may be ready to dive in head first.

As another anecdote: I have not been a Deacon club member in years, all my giving is directed to the law school. In the grand scheme of $$WFU I am a small donor indeed. Last week I got an email offering free tickets to the WFU suite at the ACC tournament for myself and a guest, any session I want including the championship, first come first served. This has never happened before and my giving to the law school has been about the same for the past several years.
The obvious conclusion is that if they have to resort to small-time, non-Deacon Club members like me to fill the WFU suite at the ACC tourney - just down the road in GSO - then very large numbers of big donors have lost all interest in the basketball program.
I am not planning to attend. I have better things to do, like aerate my lawn.

The obvious conclusion is that if they have to resort to small-time, non-Deacon Club members like me to fill the WFU suite at the ACC tourney - just down the road in GSO - then very large numbers of big donors have lost all interest in the basketball program.

There's a stooge on FB who likes to blame our current state on the lack of fan support that was bragging about his ability to just call up Wake and buy floor seats on a per-game basis this past season.

Back