• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Manning Buyout Negotiations Have Begun

Maybe we should have everyone with “sources” put their info out right now to decide who we listen to in the cuture? Who says no?

Manning will be back next year, write that down for the future.

First, national embarrassment is when you are caught getting a blowjob in a booth at Friday's (Louisville) and then get caught buying hookers for recruits (still Louisville). National embarrassment is when you try and cover up the murder of one player but another player (Baylor), or the death by cocaine of a player just drafted #1 overall (Maryland). Those are all national embarrassments. Losing 18-20 games a years is hugely frustrating and unacceptable. It's not embarrassing.

Disagree. The examples you cite are lapses of judgement that presumably those in charge could not have anticipated.

Continuing to allowing a woefully under qualified coach bleed your program dry while muttering post game inanities and having no coherent thoughts on how to fix the problem is an embarrassment.

It reflects very poorly on the decision makers and on the univeristy as a whole.

I would guess that Wake made an offer to let him leave gracefully and he rejected it. If the buyout was say 12,000,000 or so and they were negotiating to lower it but he wants it all or a large portion of it, then that would be one possible explanation. The intent by Currie was to replace him but I have to feel that obviously the money was not there and Currie was trying to figure a way to get him gone without having the whole 12,000,000 available. I have to also assume that Manning and Currie had talked recently and Manning indicated a willingness to negotiate his leaving, he just rejected what the offer from Wake was.

Thanks for your expanded thoughts. I just have a hard time reconciling the idea of going off half-cocked in this scenario. If you are going to terminate Mannequin Man, you better damn well be ready to do it regardless of what "snag" you hit in the negotiations. IOW, you better have the money lined up and ready to play hard ball. If DM thinks or knows you don't have the money ready to buy him out, then you are very much screwed in a "gentleman's negotiation" game. That is daft. Put up or shut up and kick this stiff to the curb so he can catch the next bus back to Lawrence, KS.

I have no sources. However, several weeks from now when we have named a new coach and we start getting excited for our collective future as Wake hoops supporters, the narrative that led us there will seem fairly obvious. A decision mulled over for months that included all the donors who would fund a buyout, and led by Currie (who has not so far as I can tell managed to tweet or say anything in regards to Manning for a loooong time), was finalized the morning after we lost our home game against GTech while honoring our last ACC tournament championship team. That home loss, in front of a weak crowd and with confusing lineups throughout, was the nail in the proverbial coffin. Cherish it, because the 10 or so days that followed that loss were our highest of highs since 2017.

It is hard to find any real narrative in Currie's tweets and retweets since January - I reviewed them and he is a rah rah tweeter, but after we beat Duke, he tweeted one word - Proud. Compared to some of his tweets for women's hoops, tennis, even our guys at the NFL combine - it doesn't seem difficult to surmise that Currie's support of the basketball program right now is all about the players (he congratulated Sarr for being named to 3rd team all-acc, for example).

I WOULD HOPE and I would be psyched (because it would require discipline and talent) if Currie has his play all ready buttoned up and this is all about perfect timing for MAXIMUM impact as it relates to program branding and momentum into recruiting. Leaving Manning dangling is certainly not good for recruiting. But should he already have Matta or Beileinin pocket, then it would make sense for peripheral but considerable donors to not be in the inner circle of this decision. In other words, fire Manning a day or two after our loss to perhaps a day after the ACC tournament and NCAA tourney seeding show (I give that flexibility because I don't pretend to know ideal timing), and then 48 hours later - let enough time pass so that nobody can say this was all decided before Wake finished playing games (which could create some issues with current players and their new coach), you shock all the pundits by introducing Matta or Beilein.

Just my two cents. Reading the ole tea leaves.

Unless contractually we have to pay him everything we owe him in one lump sum right away, then we don't "have to have the money available right now." Fire his ass, continue to pay him his contract until it runs out while making him jump through any possible hoops, and then hire a coach that will will pay for himself by getting 10k plus fans back into the Joel. If you get the right coach, paying Manning $12 to 15M to go away will generate more than that over the next five years or so.

I will continue to believe that Manning will be gone at the end of the year until someone shows me written proof that Currie is (i) mentally challenged, (ii) certifiably insane, or (ii) being prevented from replacing Manning by Hatch and/or the BOT, each of whom is either mentally challenged, certifiably insane, or both.

I have no sources. However, several weeks from now when we have named a new coach and we start getting excited for our collective future as Wake hoops supporters, the narrative that led us there will seem fairly obvious. A decision mulled over for months that included all the donors who would fund a buyout, and led by Currie (who has not so far as I can tell managed to tweet or say anything in regards to Manning for a loooong time), was finalized the morning after we lost our home game against GTech while honoring our last ACC tournament championship team. That home loss, in front of a weak crowd and with confusing lineups throughout, was the nail in the proverbial coffin. Cherish it, because the 10 or so days that followed that loss were our highest of highs since 2017.

It is hard to find any real narrative in Currie's tweets and retweets since January - I reviewed them and he is a rah rah tweeter, but after we beat Duke, he tweeted one word - Proud. Compared to some of his tweets for women's hoops, tennis, even our guys at the NFL combine - it doesn't seem difficult to surmise that Currie's support of the basketball program right now is all about the players (he congratulated Sarr for being named to 3rd team all-acc, for example).

I WOULD HOPE and I would be psyched (because it would require discipline and talent) if Currie has his play all ready buttoned up and this is all about perfect timing for MAXIMUM impact as it relates to program branding and momentum into recruiting. Leaving Manning dangling is certainly not good for recruiting. But should he already have Matta or Beileinin pocket, then it would make sense for peripheral but considerable donors to not be in the inner circle of this decision. In other words, fire Manning a day or two after our loss to perhaps a day after the ACC tournament and NCAA tourney seeding show (I give that flexibility because I don't pretend to know ideal timing), and then 48 hours later - let enough time pass so that nobody can say this was all decided before Wake finished playing games (which could create some issues with current players and their new coach), you shock all the pundits by introducing Matta or Beilein.

Just my two cents. Reading the ole tea leaves.

Fire Manning Monday at the latest. Name Matta head coach on Thursday, so it scrolls all day on the ticker during the 1st real day of the NCAA Tournament.

:dancindeac::dancindeac::dancindeac::dancindeac::dancindeac::dancindeac::dancindeac::dancindeac::dancindeac::dancindeac::dancindeac::dancindeac::dancindeac::dancindeac::dancindeac::dancindeac::dancindeac::dancindeac::dancindeac:

I will continue to believe that Manning will be gone at the end of the year until someone shows me written proof that Currie is (i) mentally challenged, (ii) certifiably insane, or (ii) being prevented from replacing Manning by Hatch and/or the BOT, each of whom is either mentally challenged, certifiably insane, or both.

Give me any action the AD had done in the last decade regarding basketball to make you assume their not mentally challenged.

Back