• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Manning Buyout Negotiations Have Begun

It’s not like isn’t trying to fulfill the job he’s just coming up short. There’s nothing “moral” about this at all. The guy got hired to do a job, got an extension based (presumably) on performance, and now his employer wants to buy him out. Morality doesn’t have anything to do with it.

This is true so long as you do not feel morality plays a part in whether you should provide value for the compensation you were given.

BZ, Wellman, and Manning provided negative value and were compensated greatly for doing so.

This is true so long as you do not feel morality plays a part in whether you should provide value for the compensation you were given.

BZ, Wellman, and Manning provided negative value and were compensated greatly for doing so.

Yeah for the most part I don’t. We gonna call people immoral for dicking around at work every now and then? Just weird to tie morality into this discussion at all IMO.

The one thing we can hold him to is that he can't coach basketball until the contract expires and we don't have to pay him until the contract stipulates. We could reassign him (to a windowless basement office with no phone!).

Yeah for the most part I don’t. We gonna call people immoral for dicking around at work every now and then? Just weird to tie morality into this discussion at all IMO.

Understood. Just an old fashioned notion that when you fail to provide value, you have not earned that compensation.

Not how the world works today. Probably never did. Presumably holding oneself to a higher standard of morality would require oneself to provide value when taking another's money.

Understood. Just an old fashioned notion that when you fail to provide value, you have not earned that compensation.

Not how the world works today. Probably never did. Presumably holding oneself to a higher standard of morality would require oneself to provide value when taking another's money.

I hear you but yeah i don’t think that’s ever how the world worked. If you have a contract, the contract is what dictates terms of payment. If you want to negotiate morality into a contract and the other party is all in I say go for it. It’s not like these are unsophisticated parties.

This has been more or less my argument. We're looking at our 4th coach in the past 10 years. I know it's probably Danny's time to go, but this trend over the past decade doesn't lend any stability to our program.

You know what else doesn’t lend stability to our program? Losing with coaches who are obviously not suited for the job and wasting 10 years total to reach that revelation.

Can you imagine the size of the steak dinner Manning’s agent treated himself to the day that contract was signed.

I’m still curious as to whether Goodman’s source from two years ago is correct and that this is a fully guaranteed contract (presumably with some buyout clause(s) in place?)

May not make a difference but I wonder if they are discussing a “buyout” or just need to finalize the terms of paying out the contract which is fully guaranteed but may have provisions where Manning can choose to take lump payment in a smaller amount rather than spread out over several years.

If the amount isn’t an issue, method and timing is easy. If timing or method are issues, then the amount is the issue.

Danny's contract may be so bad as to require balance due upon termination. Or within say 30 days. That may be a tougher nut to crack than paying out the remainder of the contract over the next five years.

It may have been mutual. Danny may have owed Wake the remainder if he resigned to take another job. Remember the contract was negotiated after the one good year. Wellman may have been afraid of a ghost, or Kansas coming after Danny.

Maryland had this kind of provision in a contract. There is precedent.

My only sauce is barbecue.

Of all the terrible mistakes Wellman has made to this program, the Danny Manning absurd extension has to top the list. And that is saying something.

Yeah it’s some kind of weird boomer/religious thing I think. Who would/has done such a thing?

Has it been mentioned that David Glenn, the source that started this thread, was fired yesterday????

If $$$ is the issue, go into the credit markets, issue a bond in the amount needed and float it to the general public. With interest rates at historic lows, do a 10 year maturity. With a new hire who is successful, would be able to retire the note in five years. If something has been submitted earlier regarding this, my apologies.

Makes sense.

Yeah it’s some kind of weird boomer/religious thing I think. Who would/has done such a thing?

There’s a name for it. Protestant Work Ethic. Look it up.

Has it been mentioned that David Glenn, the source that started this thread, was fired yesterday????

His show is syndicated and WRAL declined to continue carrying it. He wasn’t fired, they just changed their lineup. It’s still on other stations.

Thanks for the clarification. Seemed like interesting timing...

Perhaps DM is actually being truthful here, re., they are not currently "in negotiations" because the negotiations are over and the terms of his settlement have already been agreed to. One can only hope:thumbsup:

Back