• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Manning Buyout Negotiations Have Begun

The amount of groupthink on this thread is unfuckingbelievable.

Half of you are either parsing tweets from Mike Muse or taking totally unsubstantiated comments from people you don’t know at face value and talking yourselves into believing he’s coming back.

Every bit of data and common sense says he’s gone. John Currie knows what he’s doing and has had a year to get his ducks in a row. I’ll be as surprised as anyone if this doesn’t turn out the way we want it to.
We expected news today. It was this day last year that we got news. You expect us not to pay attention to a Danny Manning tweet?

Half of you are either parsing tweets from Mike Muse or taking totally unsubstantiated comments from people you don’t know at face value and talking yourselves into believing he’s coming back.

Every bit of data and common sense says he’s gone. John Currie knows what he’s doing and has had a year to get his ducks in a row. I’ll be as surprised as anyone if this doesn’t turn out the way we want it to.

Every bit of common sense said he had to be gone after last year as well, and yet here we are.

Do we have to wait until Monday or is a weekend announcement possible?

Does he? He's been here a year now and we still have one of the worst coaches in ACC history as our coach. Unless he makes a change and makes it soon, there is nothing to show us that he knows what he is doing.

Currie gets leeway with me because of the coronavirus, which is extraordinarily and really serious. But there should have been a change made promptly and decisively when the season ended and it's pretty embarrassing that didn't happen. Maybe he'll still pull an ace out of his sleeve, but this is starting to look Wellmanesque.

Those tweets speak for themselves.

I stand by what I was told and said earlier. No news on a resignation/firing by now means he's coming back. I'm not happy about it either, but this is what's going to happen. It's a financial issue.

I am curious on what was said between Mit Shah, John Currie, and a few others last week. This decision was not made lightly.

I stand by what I was told and said earlier. No news on a resignation/firing by now means he's coming back. I'm not happy about it either, but this is what's going to happen. It's a financial issue.

I am curious on what was said between Mit Shah, John Currie, and a few others last week. This decision was not made lightly.

So should we still believe sportsnut‘s report? Les also is optimistic that he’s gone.

You’ve said they’ve done their reviews already, correct? So if he’s coming back, why wouldn’t they just announce it? there shouldn’t be any holdup.

I'm going with the watched pot doesn't boil theory. This is all going to go down when we are not paying attention. Something like 11:33 AM Sunday. You check your phone at like 1:18PM that day, and all of sudden "holy shit - he finally got fired!".

That's basically how it went down with Wellman.

Since the death of Skip almost everything that Wake administration has tried to do with the basketball program was trying to avoid looking bad, and yet everything that they have done has made the school look worse and worse. In trying not to look bad they have not made a single good decision and appear increasingly awful and incompetent. Solution: stop worrying about public relations, of which they clearly have a confused understanding, and just do the right thing.

I'm going to be optimistic and say no announcement is made because a new coach is not secured yet. Seems like a lot of money is at stake with both the hiring and firing. I'll assume JC knows his shit and if he announces a firing first he loses some hiring negotiation leverage. Again, I'm going to remain optimistic but will probably regret it down the road and get another dagger in my heart.

Who else is ready for another long day of refreshing the boards in between trips to the fridge for beer and hummus? I know I am!

I'm telling myself that he wants ink on a new coach's contact before going to the press. The worst spectacle of Currie's career so far as a very public coaching search. I'm guessing he keeps tight lipped until it's over.

Who else is ready for another long day of refreshing the boards in between trips to the fridge for beer and hummus? I know I am!

I haven't been much of a beer drinker for a while, and I'm off my previous hummus kick (at least for a while). If Wake keeps endlessly making bad decisions with our basketball program, I'll be off my half-century-long Wake hoops kick as well.

Wake administration keeps demonstrating over and over again that there is nothing more embarrassing then constantly being preoccupied with avoiding embarrassment and letting that dominate your decision making.

Back