• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Manning Buyout Negotiations Have Begun

The fans should at least be informed if there will be an announcement or not by Currie so we can stop checking our phones every five seconds.

The fans should at least be informed if there will be an announcement or not by Currie so we can stop checking our phones every five seconds.

The AD hasn't respected the fans' opinion or time in 10 years, why would they start now?

Why is online learning a waste?

It's not that online learning is a waste. The issue is how much more of anything do you get for the large tuition price difference between the cheapest online options like Phoenix and say East Carolina. Or the even greater difference to a Wake, Duke or other elite level school.

Part of the appeal of most schools is the campus experience. That includes things like what used to be the "Science and Beer Society."

You also allegedly benefit from being around other smart people 24-7. I instead hung out with Milhouse, Rolfe, and the RATTLER

Wondering if we hear an update from sportsnut, Les, or Connor today or tomorrow. I’m thinking tmrw

Discussion is a huge part of coursework in my field. That is impossible to replicate online.

Disagree about impossible. More difficult? Sure. Less organic? Maybe. There are tons of online coursework, classes, boot camps etc that occur online in IT and it works well enough.

Once this is over there will be big discussions about how we as a country live, work, learn etc. Can we continue to be so dependent on the consumer economy? How can the government better invest in people, new industry and technology?

Unfortunately we do not have the leadership that thinks about next week much less the next decade or generation of kids.

Is it just discussion? If so why can't you use online meeting software?

In response to all of the above, yes there are ways to attempt to replicate this but it’s not the same. Yes you can share a PowerPoint on your screen and lecture but then you don’t have a whiteboard to write on. Yes there are discussion boards to post on and we can all be in video chats together. It is just not the same. It is somewhat doable in small grad classes but that’s it. I take pedagogy more seriously than 99% of professors at Tier 1 schools. I have done training in the past and constantly been doing it over the last 2 weeks. Are online classes possible? Sure, but they aren’t anywhere close to in person. That’s fine for the current situation but not permanently. It requires students to do much more learning on their own and that’s just not something we can expect. If you just care about getting the credits then it’s fine. If you want to engage with the material and learn then it’s not.

Why is online learning a waste?

I think the better way to phrase this is that, currently, online learning has been utilized for profit without any real consideration of how to adapt in-classroom pedagogy and student engagement to the various platforms.

Wouldn't be a bad idea to make a "school talk" thread, if y'all are really interested in learning about what this transition looks like from the faculty/instructor side.

Wouldn't be a bad idea to make a "school talk" thread, if y'all are really interested in learning about what this transition looks like from the faculty/instructor side.

Are you teaching online for the foreseeable future, too?

Yeah. It is really a different beast. Even my 2 classes are drastically different from each other.

Back