• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Manning Returning for 2019-2020 - b/c basketball decision, obvi

I texted my DC rep to resign. He called back immediately and the company line was the kids really wanted to stay together and play for Manning and thats why we felt another year made sense...disruption would be worse.

That is the biggest pile of shit I've ever heard in my life. When I asked him what the expectations were next year he said noticeable improvement...watch out Houston Baptist here we come!

I mean, that's great and all if true, but the kids were not very good last year. Why would another year make them meaningfully better? This is not a knock on the players at all, they clearly worked hard and fought every game. They just were not good enough.

I mean, that's great and all if true, but the kids were not very good last year. Why would another year make them meaningfully better? This is not a knock on the players at all, they clearly worked hard and fought every game. They just were not good enough.

If they really have a shit about the kids they would be putting them in a position to succeed. They’re setting them up to fail.

Would “Fuck Ron Wellman” chants be appropriate for all 27 fans in attendance next year?

Dear Deacon fans,

As a follow up to this morning's message, we want to answer a few of the most common questions our fans may have. Please see below for a Q&A with Ron Wellman and Danny Manning.

Go Deacs!

---

Questions and Answers with Ron Wellman, Director of Athletics

Q: Was the buyout a part of the decision?
A: Danny’s continuation is based on our belief in him and his staff and the future of our program. Otherwise, we do not discuss contract details publicly.

Q: What progress did you see that led you to the decision to keep Coach Manning?
A: While we did not win as many of the games as we would have liked down the stretch, there were encouraging signs for a young team. The positive chemistry was evident, they displayed grit and determination and they continued to work hard in games and the practices I attended as well.

Q: Why do you believe Danny is the right person to lead this program?
A: I am encouraged by the future of the program and the commitment of our young players. But we’ve got to stop the attrition. The way for us to become a championship team is to become a veteran team. While there are a lot of transfers in today’s college basketball, we have to find a way to have a stable program despite the national environment. That is the formula for success for every one of our programs, that we experience our greatest success when we have a veteran team. Our best teams are dominated by upperclassmen.

Q: Why should the public believe that Danny is the right person to lead this program?
A: We have been 11-20 each of the last two years and those are not the results we expect. It has taken longer than we wanted, but we feel a good foundation has been set. Next year will be a turnaround year for us and I felt Danny was the best person to achieve that immediate improvement.

The players in the program have been very impressive off the court. In the classroom, they achieved over a 3.0 grade point average in the fall, the highest GPA ever for our men’s basketball program. They are good representatives of Wake Forest in the community. They commit a lot of time to charitable efforts such as the Special Olympics and Brenner Children’s Hospital.

Q: Do you feel you’ve lost your fan base?
A: Winning is important to our fans and we have fallen short. We have a loyal group of fans and I am confident when we start winning again they will be with us. The level of frustration we have seen from the fans is an indication of their passion for the program. They care deeply about the basketball program.

Q: Was John Currie a part of this decision?
A: As I said following the announcement of my retirement, this would be and was my decision.

Questions and Answers with Danny Manning, Head Men’s Basketball Coach

Q: How do you feel about your return next year?
A: I am excited for next season. We will have most of this year’s squad back. Nine of our top 10 scorers are back. We have 91% of our rebounds back and 92% of our minutes returning. We saw a lot of development from that group last season and can’t wait to see the progress they will make this summer. We like our incoming class and our transfers who are becoming eligible. I think the potential for this group is high and I can’t wait to get to work with them.

Q: Do you anticipate any players departing the program this offseason?
A: One of the best qualities about this group of players is how close they are. They love playing together and spending time together off the court. They know that they showed glimpses of their potential last year and are excited to put in the hard work to show what they can accomplish next season. As we have had talks with our players over the last week, each one has shown enthusiasm about what we can accomplish together next year. It truly is a team that is united, and I would be surprised if any of them decided to look elsewhere.

Q: What about Jaylen Hoard? Will he test the waters?
A: We have had discussions with Jaylen about going through the process and he has filed the paperwork to go through the evaluation process. For any player who has aspirations of playing in the NBA, the process is a valuable tool. I am glad we have players that are able to test the waters. If we didn’t have players at that level, we would be in trouble. NBA teams will give you blunt feedback about your strengths and weaknesses and what you need to do to be ready to play at the next level. Then it is up to you to take that advice and follow it. There were over 100 collegiate players this season who went through the process last spring and came back to school. They were better players this season because of going through that process. We support Jaylen taking this step and know he will receive great advice.

Q: What changes will you make to help the program move forward and improve?
A: I know sometimes people dismiss my calmness as a lack of passion or lack of interest in making changes. I have been around the game of basketball since childhood and I do not think lashing out emotionally solves many problems. An important part of being a leader is having the trust of your team. I tend to go overboard on keeping things internal rather than sharing things publicly, but there is no question that we need to improve. I think that will fuel our offseason. Sometimes having a chip on your shoulder and the hunger to get better can accelerate change. And we all have that passion burning in us after last season. As far as personnel changes or style changes, we will work through those when we see this whole group together on the court this summer and see how the pieces fit.

Q: Have you spoken with John Currie at all about the program?
A: We have spoken a few times briefly. I am eager to begin to collaborate with him on plans for the future of our program. Once things slow down and he takes over, I am sure we will be talking regularly.

Q: Do you have concerns with John Currie becoming the AD on May 1?
A: Any time there’s new leadership, you need to prove you’re worthy of doing the job. That is the case in college athletics, but also in any job. We are both passionate about Wake Forest Basketball and want to see the program enjoy success. Our interests are aligned.

Would “Fuck Ron Wellman” chants be appropriate for all 27 fans in attendance next year?

Nope. Ronnie won't be there, he'll be long retired. Should have chanted that this year.

I texted my DC rep to resign. He called back immediately and the company line was the kids really wanted to stay together and play for Manning and thats why we felt another year made sense...disruption would be worse.

That is the biggest pile of shit I've ever heard in my life. When I asked him what the expectations were next year he said noticeable improvement...watch out Houston Baptist here we come!
Keep the shitty coach around because a bunch of shitty players want to play for him!

Good lord, we are such losers.

10 years of foundation building, yet we have seen no evidence of any foundation yet. Leave, Ron.

Now they're justifying the retaining of Manning due to the kids' feelings and wants? Hahaha what a bunch of crap. They've been taught well by their cult leader.

Keep the shitty coach around because a bunch of shitty players want to play for him!

Good lord, we are such losers.

Don't believe it for a sec as think Ronnie boy has dug us such a deep cavern with buyout that he is using that as leverage for one more year for DM and his "one last ask" as AD as he departs.

At least I hope not as that is beyond pathetic to let players make the hard decisions to what is obvious to everyone in ACC and the world that Danny is a terrible uninspiring coach and has no clue how to get the most of his players nor put a D system or other basic fundamentals like rebounding to have team success.

We have gone way below LOWF mentality and just writing off BB as important. The lies make it unbearable as it was no postseason success for giving Dino the boot and now we don't sniff postseason and have worse records in WF and ACC history and still drag on......

the whole "stay together for the kids" thing is such horseshit. college sports by definition are fluid so you're always going to have a different group of kids year-to-year, so to not make changes ever would be ludicrous. otherwise you'd just change coaches when your previous one dies. oh wait.

Go Gators. I'm done with Wake except for watching a few football games on TV. I've been a Deacon Club member for 19 years plus given some extra money on top for special projects (not big money by Wellman's standards but I felt it)...but that's all over now.

I think that "Q&A" (in name only) acknowledges that: (1) yes we have a major buyout problem; and (2) the administration made this Ron's "decision" in an effort to shield Currie from the backlash.

Ultimately, I think that Wake simply could not come up with the buyout money after Ron was probably told by donors not to extend Danny with this kind of guarantee. Ron made the decision and got fired as a result. We are fortunate that Currie was available and willing to take the job under these circumstances, but this retention of Manning will put us at least another two years behind in the process of revitalizing the program.

This may be an unpopular opinion, but Wes Miller cannot get her soon enough.

I think that "Q&A" (in name only) acknowledges that: (1) yes we have a major buyout problem; and (2) the administration made this Ron's "decision" in an effort to shield Currie from the backlash.

Ultimately, I think that Wake simply could not come up with the buyout money after Ron was probably told by donors not to extend Danny with this kind of guarantee. Ron made the decision and got fired as a result. We are fortunate that Currie was available and willing to take the job under these circumstances, but this retention of Manning will put us at least another two years behind in the process of revitalizing the program.

This may be an unpopular opinion, but Wes Miller cannot get her soon enough.

the problem with Wes is, what if he sucks and all of the sudden one of our biggest donors has you by the balls

never forget

13-19
11-20
19-14 (thanks a lot john collins)
11-20
11-20

Back