• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Market Meltdown...looks bad

Not sure if you guys know him or not, but one of my favorite reads on the market is John Hussman. He publishes a weekly market report each Monday. Here's this week's:
http://www.hussman.net/wmc/wmc110808.htm

An excerpt:
If there is one crucial point that should not be missed, it is this: the fundamental source of our economic challenges, from joblessness, to unresolved housing strains, to sovereign debt crises, is that our policy makers have repeatedly opted for fiscal band-aids and monetary distortions instead of addressing the core problem head-on. That core problem is simple: the careless encouragement of asset bubbles, and the refusal to restructure bad debt.

Encouraged by inappropriately easy monetary policy and lax regulatory oversight, the U.S. went on a debt-financed binge of consumption and unproductive investment that lasted nearly a decade. When that binge collapsed, policy makers ignored the fundamental need to restructure bad debt, and instead fought tooth and nail to defend bondholders and lenders who had extended credit carelessly. We are now left with a global financial system where the debtors are incapable of making good on those debts, and governments around the world are frantically trying to prop up bad debt with public funds and monetary policies aimed at distorting the financial markets even further.

Also, not worried at all. As i mentioned earlier, bring on the 90% drop. It won't happen, but I'd love to see it.

A) Fine, don't believe me.
B) Nope
C) Obviously you if you took the time to quote my post and formulate a reply.

At least you were man enough to sign your negrep. Still, no reason to rub it in on people taking a beating.

?

Why have your account deleted rather than just walk away for however long you prefer?

Sorry, not trying to meddle exactly. Just curious. Of course you're free to ignore my question.

First of all I am a woman. Second, other people posted the same thing in this thread but you only lashed out at me. Third, I thought you didn't believe me? Fourth, I am leaving the board so don't worry, I won't be rubbing it in to people taking a beating anymore. Just 24 more hours till they delete my account. Toodles!

Why are you leaving the board? Another bolting because of the way you're treated around here?

I am just curious, since a few have done just that and I have thought about it too. The vibe on this board is a lot meaner than the old one.

First of all I am a woman. Second, other people posted the same thing in this thread but you only lashed out at me. Third, I thought you didn't believe me? Fourth, I am leaving the board so don't worry, I won't be rubbing it in to people taking a beating anymore. Just 24 more hours till they delete my account. Toodles!

*shakes head*

Also, not worried at all. As i mentioned earlier, bring on the 90% drop. It won't happen, but I'd love to see it.

I know others have already said this to you; but you do understand that a 90% drop would devastate pretty much everything in what I'd assume to be presently in your day-to-day life, right?

I understand where you're coming from... but there's a big difference between a 60% drop (~'08) and a 90% drop. 90% leaves pretty much everyone penniless in terms of retirement, regular savings, and perhaps most importantly, discretionary spending.

Every so-called 'bubble' bursts... Wake probably survives but either has to eliminate admission standards entirely or charge an unimaginable price to the lucky few who remain.

'Big business' has ruled our country for several decades... if you think anybody else outside of the biggest corporations would really survive at DOW 1,500; i think you are delusional. Sure, there are mom-and-pops that are a long way from the DJIA (in more ways than one); but I guarantee you that the majority of their customers do not enjoy the same shield from today's markets.

There would not be enough air left in anyone to provide the bounce (like we've seen in the past 2.5 years) that you think would give you such a golden investment opportunity after a 90% drop.

Forget the millions of baby-boomers (likely your parents/guardians, and anybody else in their generation who supported you growing up); the U.S. would almost certainly never be the same U.S. that you and I currently know again. If it were to recover, it wouldn't be in our (or our children's) lifetimes.

If you want the country to be rebuilt (for the government to have a 'wake-up call'), you're not alone. I'm right there with you. A 90% drop in our market is not what will lead to that.

^ I think people have already tried in vain to explain that to 03, but it didn't seem to sink in.

First, great use of the term "parents/guardians". Haven't seen that term tossed around since I needed to get my report card signed in elementary school.

Second, 03 has an advantage of not living in the United States.

I never said I thought it would be best for the country to have a 90% drop, just for me. Yes, living in Norway plays a huge part in that assessment. You brought up the last drop, but I never thought prices dropped far enough then. We could have used another 20% to actually make prices attractive again. Perhaps 90% is a bit much, but 75% is perfectly reasonable.

I also think you guys vastly overestimate the importance of stock market levels with the actual economy. IBM is the same company whether its shares trade for $1 or $1000. The share price does not effect the fundamentals of the business.

I also think you vastly overestimate the amount of people that have their retirement tied up in the market. Sure, the upper class and a lot of the middle class does, but the bottom 70% doesn't. So long as the underlying economics of the country don't change that much and its only the share prices that get irrationally low as people panic, then these people should not be any worse off. People will defer retirement from the top 30%, but the bottom 70% weren't going to retire anyway.

I never said I thought it would be best for the country to have a 90% drop, just for me. Yes, living in Norway plays a huge part in that assessment. You brought up the last drop, but I never thought prices dropped far enough then. We could have used another 20% to actually make prices attractive again. Perhaps 90% is a bit much, but 75% is perfectly reasonable.

I also think you guys vastly overestimate the importance of stock market levels with the actual economy. IBM is the same company whether its shares trade for $1 or $1000. The share price does not effect the fundamentals of the business.

I also think you vastly overestimate the amount of people that have their retirement tied up in the market. Sure, the upper class and a lot of the middle class does, but the bottom 70% doesn't. So long as the underlying economics of the country don't change that much and its only the share prices that get irrationally low as people panic, then these people should not be any worse off. People will defer retirement from the top 30%, but the bottom 70% weren't going to retire anyway.

Yes, a lot of them will. And they will live on very small savings (possibly a pension) and a social security check.

I'm guessing a few of those 70% also currently have jobs that may not be there in the event of a catastrophic market crash. I guess they can always move to Norway.

OMG, we're all going to die! Dead cat bounce of 110 points.

this bad, guys...real bad. There doesn't seem to be anyone willing to buy like in 1987, 2008, etc. BAD!!!

made a nice hit on FAS today... first money i've had in the market in a few months.

up 200 early hours... Bet it comes straight back down...

The Fed is meeting today to discuss changes in the monetary policy rule. I'm guessing that interest rates are going to be lowered, in which case, the market will recover nicely over the next few days. Now would be a good time to buy.

Back