• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Maryland: Rats leaving the ship

Maryland football is so screwed right now. Edsall has 5 years at $2M a year left on his contract guaranteed and they already are out of money and had to cut athletic programs so no way they can afford to fire him. On top of that, their attendance is going to suck because they will be fielding a shitty team so that's even less money coming in. Players are leaving and their recruiting is bad so the team is only gonna get worse in the next couple years. It's gonna take a new coach 3-4 years to fix that program.

Between this and PSU's recent woes, the staff should hit the Maryland area recruiting. Chase and Camp have been solid. The reports on Goodwin are glowing. Maryland has a ton of talent and seems to ripe for the picking for the next couple of years.

Maryland football is so screwed right now. Edsall has 5 years at $2M a year left on his contract guaranteed and they already are out of money and had to cut athletic programs so no way they can afford to fire him. On top of that, their attendance is going to suck because they will be fielding a shitty team so that's even less money coming in. Players are leaving and their recruiting is bad so the team is only gonna get worse in the next couple years. It's gonna take a new coach 3-4 years to fix that program.

You could easily replace "maryland football" with "wake basketball" and "edsall" with "[Redacted]" and this would still be a factual post.

You could easily replace "maryland football" with "wake basketball" and "edsall" with "[Redacted]" and this would still be a factual post.

Don't want to sound optimistic about bball, because I'm not, but I think we'll have an easier time rebuilding the bball program.

Not really at all similar to Wake basketball. A basketball program takes like 2 years to turn around with the right coach. Football is a much longer process. The attrition at Wake is because of disciplinary issues whereas at Maryland it's because they hate the coach. Also Buzz isn't being ridiculously overpaid like Edsall is and I can't imagine Wake's financial situation is anywhere near as bad as Maryland's.

The basketball team is complete shit, but the program can be turned around pretty quickly. Not so much at MD.

reads like Edsall is really farking up that program.
Not a perfect analogy, but TOB had to move out some of our bad eggs when he first arrived, and we had some down years (not that we are tearing it up now)

I think Edsall has to move out some of the malcontents and is willing to take the hit to get a motivated squad on the field. That said, they are also in for some down years as he works through this. And I am not crying.

seems more similar to Groh at UVA although accelerated. although don't remember a bunch of guys quitting the team due to disliking him.

guess see how it pans out for them.

Last edited:
Not a perfect analogy, but TOB had to move out some of our bad eggs when he first arrived, and we had some down years (not that we are tearing it up now)

I think Edsall has to move out some of the malcontents and is willing to take the hit to get a motivated squad on the field. That said, they are also in for some down years as he works through this. And I am not crying.

They were coming off a 9-4 season with many contributors returning. The program didn't need to be torn down and built back up.

Not really at all similar to Wake basketball. A basketball program takes like 2 years to turn around with the right coach. Football is a much longer process. The attrition at Wake is because of disciplinary issues whereas at Maryland it's because they hate the coach. Also Buzz isn't being ridiculously overpaid like Edsall is and I can't imagine Wake's financial situation is anywhere near as bad as Maryland's.

The basketball team is complete shit, but the program can be turned around pretty quickly. Not so much at MD.

How do you know they hate the coach?

How do you know they hate the coach?

That's what folks on the MD board have been saying- though of course they pretty much all dislike their coach so not sure how credible the reports are. Then again, I guess the transfers would seem to indicate at least some of the players were probably unhappy with Edsall.

They were coming off a 9-4 season with many contributors returning. The program didn't need to be torn down and built back up.
Not defending Edsall, just offering up a thought. Coming off of a 9-4 season does not mean anything in college. Players graduate or move on, radically changing a teams makeup. Hell, just ask TOB about that.

Back