• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Maryland Takes Ball and Goes Home...

liveanddiedeac

Reaction score
Maryland in negoiations to leave ACC and go to the Big 10.

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally, I think it would be sad to lose a charter member of the ACC, Maryland or not.

Personally, I think it would be sad to lose a charter member of the ACC, Maryland or not.

This. Report is Rutgers will also join Big 10, and UConn thought to be the replacement to the ACC. Big 10 looking at large East Coast media markets it appears. MD will get smoked in football in the Big 10.

Maryland has always had a giant inferiority complex, so I guess it wouldn't shock me to see them pull a Mizzou/TAMU.

This would really suck. I have no doubt that sometime in the next 10-15 years we will be relegated to CUSA or another mid major.

Where would we end up? Who would we end up with? UCONN? Cuse? Baylor? Duke? Pitt? Cincy? Trying to think of either teams with no football, teams in pro markets, or whatever.

You cannot look at this as a coup for the Big 10 or Maryland without giving Rutgers credit it doesn't deserve. Keep that in mind when evaluating this. ND and the ACC blinked first, the Big 10 struck out with the Irish and they are trying to fill out their stable by adding media markets before things shake-out in the mega conferences.

We lose UMD, most likely add UConn (would love to just settle in ND for FB too, but doubt it).

RANGOON will do great with the Leaders and Legends.

1. Dude, just a suggestion - change the thread title to something more obvious.

2. Really don't get this potential move from the perspective of a Maryland fan. Perhaps the athletics program gets some more money, but none of it is going to ME, and in exchange we lose all our rivalries. Instead of playing Virginia, UNC, Duke, etc, we play Minnesota, Iowa, and Wisconsin. That would suck. Don't know who on the Maryland side has final authority for making that decision - BOTs, State legislature, etc - but it's hard to fathom most Maryland alumns and fans would rather play in the Big 10.

The ACC is not going to break up.

And if it does we would get some kind of financial consideration I'm sure. Frankly, I'm not sure that we wouldn't be a better fit and more competitive in a mid-major conference. Blasphemous maybe, but mid-major basketball is pretty good these days, and football, well, the ACC title is looking more and more like the result of a one time surge of talent.

If Maryland fans were allowed a say I don't think this would happen. I get the impression most want to stay in the ACC.

BTW, I think at the end of the day that Maryland stays in the ACC.

But the ACC isn't going to break up. There isn't room for all of those schools in other conferences and the core has strong affiliations with the league.

Back