• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Maryland vs ACC lawsuit able to proceed

My question is what is the legally cognizable claim? Assume everything wake and Pitt are alleged of doing is true. What is the legal claim?

I imagine tortious interference with contract. It is a somewhat circular argument, but MD can claim it bailed for the B1G, and then Wake and Pitt tried to weaken the B1G by recruiting schools out of it, therefore they shouldn't have to pay. Bad arguments, but throwing shit on the wall to see what sticks.

I imagine tortious interference with contract. It is a somewhat circular argument, but MD can claim it bailed for the B1G, and then Wake and Pitt tried to weaken the B1G by recruiting schools out of it, therefore they shouldn't have to pay. Bad arguments, but throwing shit on the wall to see what sticks.

Got ya. That at least makes some sense. Well, not really, but that at least helps explain the counter-claim.

Seems like Maryland is trying to get aggressive leading up to SJ so they can force a settlement. Thoughts on that?

I agree with 2&2. They want a settlement at some number less than $50,000,000. They lost their best leverage when the case was kept in NC and now they're trying to create something they can negotiate away later on.

I think the Counterclaim is based on the ACC withholding Maryland's payouts and applying to amount ACC claims Maryland owes.

Seems like Maryland is trying to get aggressive leading up to SJ so they can force a settlement. Thoughts on that?

Yeah I imagine so. I don't know how far apart the two sides are on dollars at this point, but if I were the ACC's lawyer I wouldn't let that poor of a counterclaim affect my negotiating that much. But most lawyers today are scared to try cases (hell, one well-known poster has made a lucrative career just consistently betting on that theory), especially of that magnitude/publicity. So maybe it works.

Jeff Barker ‏@sunjeffbarker 4m
New Maryland counterclaim alleges Pitt, Wake Forest athletic reps tried to recruit unnamed Big Ten schools to join ACC. #Terps #ACC

ETA: It's a $157M counterclaim.

Lawyers, discuss potential ramifications if Wake did this.

So I'm clear, this is saying that while Loh was giving Delaney a rim job, Wake and Pitt called Penn State to see how things were going... now Md is claiming damages from that phone call? Did Loh at least wait 'til Jimmy was finished before calling the attorneys?

Fuck Maryland.

I think the Counterclaim is based on the ACC withholding Maryland's payouts and applying to amount ACC claims Maryland owes.

This aspect of the counterclaim just seems to be tied into the contract interpretation related to the liquidated damages clause.

Hoping we win this one. I'd hate to see our conference get poached. Although I don't like the additions of Cuse, LVille and Pitt.... wish the Big East still existed.

New Maryland counterclaim alleges Pitt, Wake Forest athletic reps tried to recruit unnamed Big Ten schools to join ACC. #Terps #ACC

Hey look who the ACC used as the point man in conference expansion yet again. WF has more power in the internal politics of the ACC than our fanbase gives it credit for.

CULTURE.

In all my years taking civil cases to trial in Guilford County, I have never seen the lawyers that signed that Counterclaim even darken the halls of the courthouse.

Their Counterclaim is a joke and has zero chance. Typical Maryland.

So who did we try to pry out of the Big Ten? Penn State had been a target for years so they are obviously one of them. My guess on the other would be Northwestern (given they're private, boosts access to the Chicago market and Wellman's ties there) although with Notre Dame on board the ACC could have taken a swing at Michigan State or Purdue.

For Wake to be involved I feel like it had to be Northwestern. Pittsburgh likely went after Penn State and we were going after Northwestern.

I imagine the Big 10 would probably just give us Northwestern if we asked nicely.

Other than WF, Vandy, Baylor and Texas Tech, what BCS school has not been approached at one time or another in the last 15 years to gauge their interest in possibly moving to another conference?

The claim that "WF and Pitt flirted with current Big 10 schools" has no connection to whether or not MD owes the ACC $50 million bolting to the Big 10.

I like how Maryland isn't afraid to basically raise their hand and jump around yelling about how desperate they are.

"The Maryland attorney general's office called that move "a competitive reaction" to Maryland's departure. While not necessarily illegal, the argument is that it was hypocritical of the ACC to try to impede Maryland's departure with a $52.3 million exit fee and then turn around and recruit schools from the same conference Maryland is headed to."

Can you sue people for doing legal things that are "hypocritical" for triple what you owe them?

Back