• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Mary's Gourmet Diner - Pray in Public, Get 15% Discount

So if 9 out of 10 people get the discount, isn't it the same difference? Wonder how a snake handler would be welcomed...

Well at Mary's for example there wasn't a policy where 9/10 people got the discount. It looks more like a random act of kindness than anything.

Well at Mary's for example there wasn't a policy where 9/10 people got the discount. It looks more like a random act of kindness than anything.

Yeah, I was speaking to the abstract idea of "what if you're the only one who doesn't do it." Either way, this is an interesting discussion and the issue is hardly one to rant and rave over regardless of which side you're on. Unless you're a chickenshit negrepper who is too much of a pussy to actually post your ideas. Surely no one is taking it THAT seriously.

Now things will get interesting. They are doing away with the discount because of a threat of litigation.

So you wouldn't have a problem if there was a 15% upcharge for tables that pray?

Sure, I'm fine with that, so long as the praying tables know in advance. It's their business, they can do what they want. If that runs off customers then they have to bear the consequences, but it is their choice as to what they want to promote/discourage.

Will FNC send a crew to Mary's for a special edition of Hannity? y/y?

EVERY edition of Hannity is special.

Sean_Hannity_Fox_News_Liar.gif

Now things will get interesting. They are doing away with the discount because of a threat of litigation.

Absolutely sickening that the "Freedom from Religion" group would sue over something like this. I just don't understand how people think. I thought the Diner's explanation was awesome! No judgment as to who you pray to, why you pray, or even if you really pray - just a random acknowledgement that someone has stopped for a second to appreciate what they have. A business should be free to give random discounts for whatever reason they want - unless you can show that it is somehow discriminatory under the law - like if they gave all the white folks a discount or something.

I don't see how this group could show that this practice was discriminatory - unless they could show that the discounts were only given to Christians or something? Even then it sounds like they don't even give it to everyone that prays - just every once in a while? I wish the restaurant would fight the case but it is probably too expensive and too much hassle.

If you give a discount to people that are nice, can mean people sue for discrimination? If I, as a restaurant owner, give free meals to the unemployed and poor, can the rich people sue for discrimination?

Absolutely sickening that the "Freedom from Religion" group would sue over something like this. I just don't understand how people think. I thought the Diner's explanation was awesome! No judgment as to who you pray to, why you pray, or even if you really pray - just a random acknowledgement that someone has stopped for a second to appreciate what they have. A business should be free to give random discounts for whatever reason they want - unless you can show that it is somehow discriminatory under the law - like if they gave all the white folks a discount or something.

I don't see how this group could show that this practice was discriminatory - unless they could show that the discounts were only given to Christians or something? Even then it sounds like they don't even give it to everyone that prays - just every once in a while? I wish the restaurant would fight the case but it is probably too expensive and too much hassle.

If you give a discount to people that are nice, can mean people sue for discrimination? If I, as a restaurant owner, give free meals to the unemployed and poor, can the rich people sue for discrimination?

Do we know for sure who threatened litigation?

how does an atheist or agnostic person get this discount?

asking for a friend

how does an atheist or agnostic person get this discount?

asking for a friend

Take a quiet moment for reflection before eating. She did address that in the initial media reaction. I understand wanting to avoid litigation, but I don't really think that they are breaking laws here.

You do understand how personality type and wealth are not protected in the First Amendment? You get that right?

That being said, I'm not sure Mary's is violating the law here.

You do understand how personality type and wealth are not protected in the First Amendment? You get that right?

That being said, I'm not sure Mary's is violating the law here.

Of course I get that - the point was I don't think what they are doing is breaking the law anymore than discriminating against mean people is breaking the law. Which is to say not at all. So I think we agree.

I've actually met Hannity and he said a Hillary joke within the first 10 seconds

Of course I get that - the point was I don't think what they are doing is breaking the law anymore than discriminating against mean people is breaking the law. Which is to say not at all. So I think we agree.

I don't think they are breaking the law, but we don't agree that discriminating against mean people and discriminating on the basis of religion are the same thing at all.

Back