• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Mass shooting thread - Santa Fe High School 05/18/18

A Wake friend posted this on FB today. Amazing parallels between GOPs response to gun violence and this scene from the Jerk:

Too many gun owners think they keep their families safe by having quick access to guns rather than keeping them locked up.

I've read in several places that most murders are actually committed by someone the victim knows, and not by strangers. Thus, on that basis, leaving a gun in an easily accessible place doesn't seem to be such a good idea. I guess it does provide the sense of security and control that these types of people seem to crave, though.

Right. And bringing it back to school shootings. Most of those are committed by current student or recent grad. A "more guns" policy just asks teachers and LEOs to shoot people who have been in that school plenty of times and likely wouldn't seem suspicious.

In this case apparently a victim knew he was going to take her out a couple weeks in advance. A bit of a different conversation on this one.

In this case apparently a victim knew he was going to take her out a couple weeks in advance. A bit of a different conversation on this one.

What? Are you talking about the mom who said the killer had asked her daughter out and been rejected?

I've read in several places that most murders are actually committed by someone the victim knows, and not by strangers. Thus, on that basis, leaving a gun in an easily accessible place doesn't seem to be such a good idea. I guess it does provide the sense of security and control that these types of people seem to crave, though.

Or just stop getting to know people is the easier solution.

No. And please stop politicizing this.

At least we now have Ollie North coming to the rescue to provide sanity to the discussion. Someone needs to start looking into these violent video games and rampant ritalin prescriptions.

"Culture of violence" apparently doesn't include selling weapons to one country to finance terrorists in another country.

Or just stop getting to know people is the easier solution.

True, leading a lonely, sheltered life would probably lower your chances of getting murdered. It might also make you crazy enough to want to shoot someone else, though.

Sarcasm sometimes doesn't translate well.

My post wasn't directed at you, rather, a hypothetical North defender. It's absurd to me that the NRA can try to call out a culture of violence, and don't implicate themselves and their "everyone needs a gun because threats are everywhere" message. The fact numerous violent video games have probably been designed after situations he specifically created in real life is the icing on the cake.

What's the different conversation? Kid walked into a school and murdered people with guns. :noidea:

Back