• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Matt James

Deac65

Joe Amonett
Reaction score
I know there was an earlier thread concerning his drops, but I want to give him some credit. After the drop yesterday, I was discouraged, but he came back and made some good catches. When he does that, with the way Serigne, Crump and Scott are playing we can spread the ball around quite a bit. We know, when given time, Wolford will make accurate throws.

I'm pretty sure he was playing on our last offensive series. After the game, Clawson commented to reporters that he did drop 1, but he caught 7. Led the team with receptions yesterday.

looked like he was rotating with #83 Williams in the second half.

I liked that we went right back to him on the next series after the drop. He made a tough catch over the middle.

the coaches seem to have confidence in him; maybe they feel his problems are 100% mental and are trying to encourage him, idk but he is playing better

Yes, .. a lot tougher than the one he dropped.

Yeah, I said the same thing to my Dad when he made that catch. It was good to see Wolford go right back to him after the drop and even better to see him make a very good catch to make up for it.

Seems to me that the catches he has problems with are the "over the shoulder" type passes. He seems to do a good job on the tough catches in traffic across the middle.

except that the drop on the first drive wasn't over the shoulder it was right in his hands at his waist. I know a lot of receivers catch a lot better with their hands up (thumb/forefinger laced target) than their palms up (pinky finger laced target), but it seems to me to be a concentration issue. It doesn't look like he's trying to run before he catches the ball; I just think when he's wide open, he's thinking too much (with an interior monologue that sounds something like "don't drop it this time, don't drop it, don't drop it, shit). It sounds counter-intuitive, but when there are other things distracting him (he's in traffic, having to elevate to make the catch, etc.) he seems to do better.

so he needs to operate out of the slot maybe

I don't think so (especially b/c that would remove Scott from teh slot - he's not an X) - I think going back to him again and again is the answer, especially on early downs. I think it's more confidence/comfort than mechanics. You notice Wolford/Clawson has adjusted some (not sure if deliberate), but later in games he'll go to James on 1st/2nd down, but 3rd down throws almost go exclusively to Scott and Seringne.

Seems to me that the catches he has problems with are the "over the shoulder" type passes. He seems to do a good job on the tough catches in traffic across the middle.

I was coming here to make the same comment. He does well on short or midrange passes where he's facing the QB, but has great difficulty on fade and fly pattern routes. I can understand the difficulty, but it's something WRs are expected to do.

Matt broke his hand today. Might be done for the year. Kid has worked so hard this year. Damned shame.

Back