• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Maybe Just Settle Down, ICE

We have a mom in Asheboro who was granted asylum status 23 years ago after fleeing Guatemala. She lost her status in 1999 when she left the and returned to the country without asking permission in order to care for her daughter in Guatemala who had a life threatening illness. Taken into custody by ICE and released within a week. Since then, she has met every mandated check in (first every 6 months, then every year, then every two years), and has never had any other legal issue. All of her family is now here in North Carolina and she has married a US citizen. Showed up for her check in at the beginning of this month and was told she had until May 31st to leave the country, and had until May 18th to show proof of purchase for a plane ticket.

Is it currently legal to deport somebody who was granted asylum?

I don't know the intricacies of the current law (much less the shit Trump is trying to pass).

I don't know the intricacies of the current law (much less the shit Trump is trying to pass).

If they aren't white it is. Remember who our POTUS and AG are.

She lost legal status when she left the country without permission and reentered.

Last edited:
Thank god our government is protecting us from people like her.

Make America White Again!

We have a mom in Asheboro who was granted asylum status 23 years ago after fleeing Guatemala. She lost her status in 1999 when she left the and returned to the country without asking permission in order to care for her daughter in Guatemala who had a life threatening illness. Taken into custody by ICE and released within a week. Since then, she has met every mandated check in (first every 6 months, then every year, then every two years), and has never had any other legal issue. All of her family is now here in North Carolina and she has married a US citizen. Showed up for her check in at the beginning of this month and was told she had until May 31st to leave the country, and had until May 18th to show proof of purchase for a plane ticket.

This is so screwed up. Not only that they are deporting her, but that they couldn't have resolved her status in the last 18 years.

The agent’s decision to allow me to write about our conversations came after learning that ice was making a push, beginning this week, to arrest young undocumented immigrants who were part of a large wave of unaccompanied minors who crossed the border in recent years and who, until now, had been allowed to live in the U.S. Rather than detaining these young people, the government had placed them in the care of families around the country. Most of them are trying to lead new lives as American transplants, going to school and working. ice now plans to pursue those who have turned eighteen since crossing the border, and who, as a result, qualify for detention as legal adults. “I don’t see the point in it,” the agent said. “The plan is to take them back into custody, and then figure it out. I don’t understand it. We’re doing it because we can, and it bothers the hell out of me.”

The agent went on, “The whole idea is targeting kids. I know that technically they meet the legal definition of being adults. Fine. But if they were my kids travelling in a foreign country, I wouldn’t be O.K. with this. We’re not doing what we tell people we do. If you look next month, or at the end of this month, at the people in custody, it’s people who’ve been here for years. They’re supposed to be in high school.”

A Veteran ICE Agent, Disillusioned with the Trump Era, Speaks Out

When you claim asylum, you are claiming a legitimate fear for your life that prevents you from returning to your home country. If you return to your home country after being granted asylum, it pretty much negates that claim, regardless of the circumstance.

When you claim asylum, you are claiming a legitimate fear for your life that prevents you from returning to your home country. If you return to your home country after being granted asylum, it pretty much negates that claim, regardless of the circumstance.

Fair enough.

Do you agree that the woman detailed above by IAT should have been deported by ICE given those circumstances?

That person is an outlier, but I will say what I said before. When you have 8 years of non-enforcement and gradually declining enforcement before that under Clinton and Bush, you are going to get a backlog of guys fresh out of the academy that learn one thing and then practice something entirely different. Being unshackled is going to inevitably lead to some abuses or questionable decisions because they've had minimal OTJ training and now are being thrown into the fire.

That person is an outlier, but I will say what I said before. When you have 8 years of non-enforcement and gradually declining enforcement before that under Clinton and Bush, you are going to get a backlog of guys fresh out of the academy that learn one thing and then practice something entirely different. Being unshackled is going to inevitably lead to some abuses or questionable decisions because they've had minimal OTJ training and now are being thrown into the fire.

Do you have facts to back this up? I would like to see a breakdown of who exactly is being deported.

Is the idea to remove everybody here illegally, those who pose a threat, those who are taking or jobs, or a combination of it? I have yet to hear it articulated from the POTUS what he hopes to accomplish with these laws and deportments.

To your last point, that is completely unacceptable. If they are going to handle these situations then they need to be trained and taught appropriately before they are "thrown into the fire". These are people's lives at stake and to simply say that "there will be abuses or questionable decisions" is not ok at all in my book.

Fair enough.

Do you agree that the woman detailed above by IAT should have been deported by ICE given those circumstances?

She should've been returned in 1999, which was 4 Presidents ago. Her case is really screwed up. And while not really the case with her, since her time spans several presidencies, when people are allowed de facto clemency by an 8 year presidency, part of their argument for not being deported is "but I've been here 10 years and have a life here." That's the biggest problem with Obama's approach to immigration. It makes the problem worse and makes enforcement more difficult.

Non enforcement? Obama deported more people than Bush. And before you say DACA was non enforcement, it was a determination of how best to prioritize resources- aka deporting criminals instead of high school students, and allowing kids to lead as close to a normal life as possible.

Then don't unshackle them without providing the necessary training.

Do you have facts to back this up? I would like to see a breakdown of who exactly is being deported.

Is the idea to remove everybody here illegally, those who pose a threat, those who are taking or jobs, or a combination of it? I have yet to hear it articulated from the POTUS what he hopes to accomplish with these laws and deportments.

To your last point, that is completely unacceptable. If they are going to handle these situations then they need to be trained and taught appropriately before they are "thrown into the fire". These are people's lives at stake and to simply say that "there will be abuses or questionable decisions" is not ok at all in my book.

I said "that person is an outlier" meaning that ICE agent. I wasn't speaking to any particular case.

They should deport anybody they come across who is here illegally and it is within their bounds to do so. Due consideration of the optics or press attention to individual cases should also be given.

And to my last point, they were trained and they were trained well. But if you're trained to be a cop and you go sit behind a desk for 8 years out of the academy and then one day they have you out on a street beat, you're going to be rusty in every way-- from interactions to apprehensions. Or to put it in a way this board may more readily understand, if you go to law school, pass the bar, and then go work at Home Depot for 8 years, your grasp on the law may be a bit shaky if you decide to get back into law. It's not like they're going to re-train these guys. They passed the academy and did everything they were supposed to already.

I said "that person is an outlier" meaning that ICE agent. I wasn't speaking to any particular case.

They should deport anybody they come across who is here illegally and it is within their bounds to do so. Due consideration of the optics or press attention to individual cases should also be given.

And to my last point, they were trained and they were trained well. But if you're trained to be a cop and you go sit behind a desk for 8 years out of the academy and then one day they have you out on a street beat, you're going to be rusty in every way-- from interactions to apprehensions. Or to put it in a way this board may more readily understand, if you go to law school, pass the bar, and then go work at Home Depot for 8 years, your grasp on the law may be a bit shaky if you decide to get back into law. It's not like they're going to re-train these guys. They passed the academy and did everything they were supposed to already.

???

If the expectations have changed since they received their training, or they have received no follow-up training then I absolutely 100% believe they should retrain these guys. I have no idea if ICE agents have continuing education courses or anything like that, but to think that they should just be put out there without even a refresher course on what they are doing because they completed it 8 years ago is insane.

The law analogy is awful too because even if you believe the ICE agents were doing 100% paperwork, it's still related to their field.

Back