• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MBB Game 11: VMI Keydets @ LJVM - 7 pm Tuesday - RSN

Pilchard

Reaction score
Our 9-1 Deacs play their last home OOC game of the season tomorrow (Tuesday) against VMI. Before the Keydets update, KP now projects WF to finish the regular season at 20-11 (11-9 - tied for 5th in the ACC with FSU), that is in firm bubble range for the Deacs; generally 20 wins and 11 conference wins would constitute an NCAA lock, but the ACC has been horrible so far (and the number of OOC games is dwindling) and the WF OOC schedule has been weak; 11 ACC wins is the minimum for a WF NCAA bid, and it may take 12. While that seems like a lot, only Duke is clearly better than WF among ACC teams; 12+ conference wins is achievable for this WF team.

On to tomorrow's game, here is a quick take on VMI:

Coach Dan Earl: Former Penn State player (4 year starter) and assistant coach, Dan Earl, took over the VMI program in 2015-6. Under Earl it has been a slow, but steady re-build. In VMI's first 3 years under Earl, the Keydets finished at the bottom of the SoCon standings and in the 300s in KP ratings. In 2019 and 2020, VMI rose to the mid-200s. Last year, VMI had a breakthrough season, as the Keydets finished with .500 record in conference for the first time since 2014 as Earl won SoCon COY honors. VMI also finished last season ranked #153 (ahead of #175 WF). Earl's teams rely on the 3 point shot, and VMI generally runs a Princeton offense with 4 or 5 players on the perimeter, the VMI center passing from the top of the key (see video below), relying on back-door cuts and lots of threes to generate offense. While at ETSU, Steve Forbes went 8-0 against Dan Earl's VMI teams -- only one win was in single digits.

[video]https://images.squarespace-cdn.com/content/v1/55db761ce4b0d9cdccddad7d/1630355255764-LP3OZ7PK9KQE4FC85GLU/vmi+back+door.gif?format=1000w[/video]

2021-22 Keydets: VMI returned 3.5 and starters from last season, and the Keydets are off to a solid start to the season 7-4 (#237). The VMI schedule has been soft as two of their wins are over non-D1 teams, and the Keydets' toughest opponent to date was #194 Seattle U. VMI does head into W-S on a 4 game win-streak, with the most recent win coming on Saturday over Gardner-Webb 64-61. WF is the only top 100 team on VMI's schedule. As noted above, VMI lives and dies by the three point shot: of the 358 D1 teams, VMI is #2 in 3 point attempts per overall FG attempts. 54% of all of their shots from the floor are 3s. VMI is also a superior FT shooting team (82% #3). While VMI is a strong shooting team, they are a dreadful defensive team (#308 in defensive efficiency). The Keydets essentially never force TOs (#351 in defensive TO rate), and even though they sag on defense, VMI struggles to keep teams off the offensive glass (#281 in preventing offensive rebounds). In the past, VMI has generally tried to push tempo, but this year they have played at a moderate pace, possibly because VMI is not a deep team (#287 in bench minutes). VMI is also a small team #309 in average height.

Roster:

Starters (everyone shoots threes):

G 6-0 So. Trey Bonham: Missed 3 games with an injury earlier this season; all freshman SoCon last year; VMI has played their best basketball of the season since he returned; 2nd in steals; first in assists; shot 43% from 3 last year; 21% this year
G 6-1 Jr. Kamdyn Curfman: leading scorer 18 ppg; 41% from 3; 91% from the line; high volume shooter; has launched double figures threes in five of VMIs 9 D1 games
G/F Jr. Sean Conway: 10 ppg; 37% from 3; 7 rpg; has taken 52 three point shots and 22 two point shots;
F 6-6 So. Tanner Mans: 7 ppg and 5 rpg; first on the team in steals; 36% from 3
C 6-11 Sr. Jake Stephens: he makes the offense go; leads team in assists, rebounds and blocks, 2nd in scoring; 3rd team SoCon last year; 45% from 3; 82% from 2

Bench:

G/F 6-4 Jr. Louis Tang: from Taiwan; had 7 points last time out; the only Keydet that plays who doesn't shoot 3s; 62% from 2; injured last year
G 5-10 Fr. Honor Huff: started 3 games when Bonham was out; perfect from the FT line 11 for 11; 25% from 3
F 6-7 Sr. Conor Arnold: plays when Stephens needs a break; limited offensively has not made a three point shot since Steve Forbes moved on from ETSU
G 5-11 Fr. Brennan Watkins: big rep as 3 point shooter in HS; 34% this year

Projection: KP projects a 82-66 WF win. WF is going score inside often as the Deacs are #7 in the nation in 2 PT FG% and VMI is a small defensively challenged team; when WF misses, the Deacs should grab plenty of offensive rebounds (VMI can't keep teams off the glass, and WF is the biggest team VMI has faced this season). VMI's 3 point shooting will determine the competitiveness of the game. If VMIs shots from deep are falling, the Keydets will hang around for awhile. Regardless, WF's size and skill will eventually wear-down the small and scrappy Keydets. WF played exceptional defense on Saturday against USC Upstate (Deacs held USC-U to .71 points per possession --- VMI is a far better offensive team), but the Deac offense was rusty (Deacs had 15 TOs; other than Carter Whitt, WF was 5 for 23 from three). Think the WF offense will step it up on Tuesday, as this game looks to have far more points than this past Saturday. Would lean over. Not inclined to take a side as VMI's reliance on the three makes the final margin volatile.

Last edited:
Let's fucking go! Is this game on Bally and subject to blackout?

Very excited to be at the Joel tomorrow. Bringing my sister up for the game from CLT. Here’s to a great final tune up before the meat of conference play gets underway.

My nightmare scenario for this one is that we come our a little flat (which would be understandable) and VMI rains a few early 3s on us. As we adjust to closing out better against those 3s, VMI starts hitting us with back doors. We get down early and press on offense, with another cold shooting night from the outside. All of this leads to a game where we are playing from behind and our buttholes get tight.

But I don't expect that to happen. Give me the Deacs by roughly the KP projection...

Wake Forest - 79
VMI - 62

Seems like VMI has been an up-tempo 3-point shooting team for awhile now. Did that start before Dan Earl?

Forbes seems to be a big fan of Dan Earl. He said on the post game show Saturday that VMI will be tough.

Seems like VMI has been an up-tempo 3-point shooting team for awhile now. Did that start before Dan Earl?

Yep. The VMI coach before Earl was Duggar Baucom, who took the Citadel job (one SoCon team poaching the other's coach). Baucom's philosophy was max tempo and defense optional as from 2007 until this year, his VMI and Citadel teams ranked in the top 10 in tempo every year, and finishing in the top 2 in tempo 8 times. FWIW, this year, Citadel under Baucom is only #110 in tempo. The fastest tempo team in the nation is Charleston under Pat Kelsey. They average 78 possessions a game. WF is #72 in the nation, and #1 in the ACC in tempo at 71 possessions a game.

They were famous 20 (?) years or so ago with a high tempo / shoot a million threes / play games in the 100s kinda offense. Bart ball or something?

My nightmare scenario for this one is that we come our a little flat (which would be understandable) and VMI rains a few early 3s on us. As we adjust to closing out better against those 3s, VMI starts hitting us with back doors. We get down early and press on offense, with another cold shooting night from the outside. All of this leads to a game where we are playing from behind and our buttholes get tight.

But I don't expect that to happen. Give me the Deacs by roughly the KP projection...

Wake Forest - 79
VMI - 62

That sort of happened against Upstate. We looked sluggish the first 10 mins but they couldn't hit any shots so it didn't hurt us that much. But the last 30 mins were domination.

Happened to the women today. First game back after exams. It happens.

That sort of happened against Upstate. We looked sluggish the first 10 mins but they couldn't hit any shots so it didn't hurt us that much. But the last 30 mins were domination.

With Upstate, I thought it was that our offense was not executing particularly well. Too many quick 3s. The defense was what kept us in control of the game.

Came out sluggish against Upstate which makes sense after a week off filled with final exams. Hopefully they come out looked in from the start against VMI and continue to ramp it up for the start of the full conference slate.

Oh its going down tomorrow.
1ef8bbeb9f0d461d1b4b046488f1a537.jpg

With Upstate, I thought it was that our offense was not executing particularly well. Too many quick 3s. The defense was what kept us in control of the game.

I just saw highlights of the game but that is a good thing. Defense should always be consistent and keep you in games when your shooting is off. Our defense is so much better with a couple of bigs. We rotate well and hustle- it is really a pleasure to watch. We did the same thing last year but did not have any big guy in the middle. Forbes is the man.

I just saw highlights of the game but that is a good thing. Defense should always be consistent and keep you in games when your shooting is off. Our defense is so much better with a couple of bigs. We rotate well and hustle- it is really a pleasure to watch. We did the same thing last year but did not have any big guy in the middle. Forbes is the man.

Forbes specifically called this out during his presser. Said we won’t shoot 60% every game like we did at VT so we have to defend relentlessly.

Wake Forest -14.5 VMI

That's actually kind of interesting.

In other games, Tennessee is -35.5 over USC-Upstate.

VMI is better than their power rating; so, they are getting some early action. Looks like the expectation is that game will go up tempo.

The total is up to 149. Interesting given that there were 125 points score in VMI's last game, and 132 in WF's last game. Understand the logic, but that total is a little steep.

Fun Fact (to me, at least): Dan's brother Brian played basketball at Princeton and is currently the head coach at Cornell. Both attended my high school while I was there, and were teammates with former FSU center Kirk Luchman and former Nova forward Malik Allen.

Back