• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MBB Game 23: @ Duke - Tuesday 7 pm - ACCN

Pilchard

Reaction score
WF plays at Duke's on-campus arena tomorrow. Duke (15-6; 6-4; KP #28) is the most over-covered/over-rated team in the sport, and the team that produces the least given Duke's annual spot on top of the recruiting rankings. Will leave the analysis to the current analytics snapshot and the projections.

Here are the analytics in ACC Games:

Offense:

Efficiency: WF 112.4 (#1) - Duke 108.8 (#4)
TO%: WF 14% (#3) - Duke18.3% (#13)
2 PT FG%: WF 52.3% (#5) - Duke 51% (#7)
3 PT FG%: WF 38.4% (#2) - Duke (33.8%) (#10)
Effective FG%: WF 54.6% (#1) - Duke (50.9% (#10)
Off. Rebounding%: WF 23.9% (#13) - Duke - 35.3% (#1)

Defense:

Efficiency: WF 109.0 (#11) - Duke 102.4 (#5)
TO%: WF 17.5% (#4) - Duke 15.3% (#12)
2 PT FG%: WF 52.5% (#11) - Duke 47.8% (#4)
3 PT FG%: WF 37.4% (#13) - Duke 33% (#6)
Effective FG%: WF 54.1% (#13) - Duke 48.4% (#4)
Off. Rebounding%: WF 25.8% (#6) - Duke 26.9% (#9)

Team (national rankings):

Bench minutes: WF 25.8% (#300 - WF bench participation has been shrinking with each game - sign of desperation) - Duke 33.5% (#118)
Experience: WF 2.53 years (#62) - Duke 1.38 years #291
Height: WF 77.9 (#61) - Duke 79.2 (#2)
Tempo ACC Games: WF 69.5 (#3 - used to be #1 as WF has reduced bench minutes, the Deacs have played a little slower) - Duke 66.7 (#12)

Roster note: Duke's C Dariq Whitehead was injured in last week's loss at VT and he missed the blow-out at GT. Whitehead is not expected back for tomorrow's game.

Projection: KP: Duke 78-69 - Torvik: 77-70 Duke

Quick Comment: After WF beat Clemson to go 14-5 (6-2), the WF bandwagon got chesty, and the Deacs promptly lost 3 straight. Now that the bandwagon hit the bridge abutment (and after Duke's massive beatdown of GT by 40+), the sentiment is that Deacs will get worked tomorrow. Sports are weird. Just when the fanbase announces they are quitting WF, that's when the Deacs play well. So, you never know what may happen on Tuesday.

That said, like many young teams, Duke plays much better at home (10-0; 7-3 ATS). Also, WF has not won at Duke this century. Perhaps the Deacs are due.

Last edited:
Duke put away a bad Ga Tech team early on Saturday, on the road. Filipkowski is playing great right now.

Would have to think Duke will go to Kyle early and often after Saturday's game showed teams an obvious blueprint against us.

We shouldn't turn the ball over too much, so it's all going to be about making our first shots on possessions given how good Duke is at securing the defensive rebound. Need a lot of threes if we want to be close.

Kyle is 50 pounds lighter than Burns, took 14 shots against us last time, and only made 4. I hope they think mimicking the Burns approach is a winner for them. He's playing well right now but his game is nothing like Burns.

If I'm correct we haven't won in Cameron since 97. Has to be the most embarrassing streak of any kind currently in the league.

If I'm correct we haven't won in Cameron since 97. Has to be the most embarrassing streak of any kind currently in the league.
I know the streak ended in 2020, but it's going to take a while to reach the historic futility of Clemson vs UNC (0-59) & 94 years before CU's first win in Chapel Hill.

I’d argue that our streak of not going to the ACC Tourney QF is far more embarrassing than that one.
Both streaks are nauseating, but the ACCT QF streak is truly unbelievable. Even the most pathetic teams reach a CONFERENCE QF every handful of years. G'town hoops has sucked for awhile, but they won a Big East title in 2021.

I was curious about this, so I went back and looked at it for every team in the ACC since the 1989-90 season.

We aren't the worst.

Last win @ Cameron Indoor:
UNC - 2022
UVA - 2022
Miami - 2022
Louisville - 2021
Notre Dame - 2021
Syracuse - 2019
NCSU - 2017
Florida St - 2012
Virginia Tech - 2007
Georgia Tech - 2004
Wake Forest - 1997
Clemson - 1995*

Clemson gets an asterisk because that was the Pete Gaudet year.

That means that Pittsburgh (2013) & BC (2005) haven't had a win there since joining the ACC.

No asterisk needed. K coached that game against Clemson in 1995. It was the last game before the back gave out.

Clemson was supposed to be the worst ACC team in history that year, and they opened ACC play beating K in Cameron.

Also WF has played there every year but 2, which makes things worse. We’ve had many opportunities…

Also WF has played there every year but 2, which makes things worse. We’ve had many opportunities…
Yep. Clemson hasn't played at Duke at least 6 seasons during that streak; so, even though Clemson's drought at Duke is longer than WF than years; it's shorter in number of consecutive losses.

Back