• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MBB: Game 3 - Charleston Southern Bucs - Wednesday 7 pm - ACCN+/ESPN+

Pilchard

Reaction score
While the focus remains on football, as it should be as our football Deacs advance along the path to the CFP Championship, here is a quick preview of the Deacs' third MBB opponent -- the Charleston Southern Buccaneers.

Coach: Barclay Radebaugh is a 56 years old NC native (Lincolnton). Radebaugh is among the longest tenured coaches in college basketball as took the CSU head job in the Summer of 2005. Was curious as to how/why WF scheduled the Bucs, and perhaps the matchup is explainable by the Forbes/Radebaugh connection through Gregg Marshall as Radebaugh was a three-year assistant at Winthrop under Marshall (2001-3), and Forbes assisted (2013-5) under Marshall at Wichita State. Also, Radebaugh graduated from and assisted at ETSU (Forbes' previous coaching stop), under OG&B Board fave, Les Robinson. Then again, maybe WF was just looking for easy wins and CSU should fit that bill. Radenbaugh's career highlights as the CSU coach are Bucs' trips to the NIT in 2013 and 2015 and a CIT trip in 2019. Times have been lean for Radenbaugh lately as the Bucs have had losing records over 5 of the last 6 seasons, bottoming out this past year when an injury ravaged team staggered through a 3-18 season, in the bottom tier Big South.

2021-22 season: The hits kept coming for the Bucs in the off-season, as CSU lost their best player, Philandrous Fleming through the transfer portal (Creamy craved Philandrous). Fleming, who ended up at Florida (where he is a bench piece; averaging 6.5 ppg in the Gator's first two games), led the Bucs in every statistical category last season (20 ppg, 7 rpg, 2.5 apg, 2 spg). As a result of last year's DFL finish and the loss of Fleming, in the pre-season Big South poll, CSU was picked to finish 5th in the 6 team Big South - South Division, ahead of only USC Upstate (who WF also plays). KP slots CSU as the #338 in his rankings (curently, the worst team on WF's schedule). To date, Charleston Southern played non-D1 Johnson and Wales (CSU won 118-71), and this past Friday at Ole Miss, losing 93-68. Against Ole Miss, the Bucs shot 49% from 2, 25% from 3 (8 for 32), 67% from the line, and lost both the rebounding (-3) and the turnover battles (-5). In addition to Ole Miss and WF, CSU plays at GT and Clemson. Last year, CSU played at NC State losing by 34.

Starting line-up:

Against Ole Miss, CSU started:

G 6-1 Sr. Deontye Buskey: led CSU against Ole Miss with 17 points and 7 boards; 5 for 11 (yes, 11) from 3; looks like he may fill Fleming's role as the Bucs' go to player
G 6-2 So. Tahlik Chavez: 10 points and 2 rebounds on Friday; 2 for 8 from 3; played sparingly as a frosh; 24% career three point shooter
G 6-4 Sr. Sean Price: 10 points, 10 rebounds, 2 assists, 5 TOs, 3 steals against Ole Miss; led team in minutes too; 5th year in the CSU program
F 6-7 Jr. Cheikh Faye: 3 points (1 for 6 from 3), 6 boards, 2 assists on Friday; Eastern Kentucky (coached by AW Hamilton) transfer; only one start for EKU; JUCO before EKU
C 6-9 Sr. Sadarius Bowser: 5 points, 3 rebounds, 1 block in 20 minutes against Ole Miss; 4th year in the CSU program; doesn't shoot 3s (two attempts and no makes in his career; not a scorer: 73 games and 1 double figure scoring game); 4 year CSU player

Bench:

F 6-5 Fr. Kalib Clinton: 12 points and 4 boards against Ole Miss; athletic recruit from GA
C 6-8 Fr. Taje' Kelly: 7 points 3 boards in Oxford
G 6-3 Fr. Claudell Harris: 4 points, 0-4 from 3 (has the reputation as a three point shooter)

Also, one expected starter, Imajee Dodd (UNCW transfer) has not played yet this year, and returning starter and 10 ppg scorer Ja'Quavian Florence played only 4 minutes against Ole Miss and didn't score. Not clear if those two will be healthy and playing significant minutes for Wednesday's tilt.

Score projection: KP projects an 82-62 win. Ole Miss who has played at a slow tempo under Kermit Davis scored 93 points in 78 possessions (which is a lot) on Friday against the Bucs. In their first game against Johnson and Wales, CSU had an incredible 92 possessions. So, perhaps Radebaugh is planning to play up tempo in 2021-22. Seems like a better strategy for the weak Big South than pre-conference games against Power Conference schools, but for CSU these games are about getting some guaranteed $ and getting ready for conference game. Regardless, based upon the first two games, would expect more than 144 points to be scored, and the more possessions could mean a larger margin for WF. Also, would look/hope for, a better defensive effort from WF Wednesday. While WF did force 19 turnovers against WCU, the Deacs struggled to defend the paint, allowing the Cats to shoot 58% from 2. That's just not going to cut it for WF to improve as expected. The Deacs will win this game easily, but will be more interested to see how they win. Looking for Walton, Whitt and Mucius to break out of their early season shooting funks, and need to see WF's size shutdown the inside on the defensive side. WF has a huge size edge (CSU goes 6-1, 6-2, 6-4, 6-7, 6-9). Deacs win by 25+.

Last edited:
Have to imagine the line will be in the low 20s.

Again, I'll be there if it is below 20. Above that, and I'm not sure... But if we're going to have any 40+ point victories this season, this would probably be it.

I'm multi-talented... Can also discuss things unrelated to gambling.

Watch this:

I wonder if we'll see Marsh tonight, even if only for a few minutes.

Boom.

I'm really interested in seeing Marsh on the court. Not only do we need a big man but Marsh played at an even higher level of semi pro ball than Cam, I believe.

Took Wake -19.5 for a normal amount.
Took Wake -27.5 (+330) for a little bonus action.

Until next week when we play some actual teams, hopefully the only question mark is margin of victory and how the team looks.

Took Wake -19.5 for a normal amount.
Took Wake -27.5 (+330) for a little bonus action.

Until next week when we play some actual teams, hopefully the only question mark is margin of victory and how the team looks.

If the margin is over 20 with a lot of time left, I could see Forbes tinkering and using some unusual combinations that he might want to use in specific situations in the future. For example, his best five free throw shooters that would be on the floor in a protect the lead from a fouling team. How do they do playing defense? Can they score from the field if they are not on the FT line?

I also think he takes a long look at guys outside his top 8 once the lead is large. I would have expected Tariq to get some time if he was sticking around.

Yeah, last time out guys like McCray and Taylor didn't see the floor. Anything over 15 and I think we see them earlier in the 2nd half plus more Whitt. At 20 this has backdoor cover written all over it.

I'm really interested in seeing Marsh on the court. Not only do we need a big man but Marsh played at an even higher level of semi pro ball than Cam, I believe.

Yeah. I think it was the 2nd level of the French league.

if anyone needs 2 tix for the game tonight please text me. Mine are right behind the Wake coaches in 108 row J. free of course (704) 437-0187

I think Forbes is looking for a full game tonight and not a let down in the second half. I think 30 point blow out. Would love to see Marsh. We need a beefy big guy inside that can play defense , rebound and make a lay up. How did he get concussion anyway? I assume a fall in practice?

Was curious as to how/why WF scheduled the Bucs, and perhaps the matchup is explainable by the Forbes/Radebaugh connection through Gregg Marshall as Radebaugh was a three-year assistant at Winthrop under Marshall (2001-3), and Forbes assisted (2013-5) under Marshall at Wichita State. Also, Radebaugh graduated from and assisted at ETSU (Forbes' previous coaching stop), under OG&B Board fave, Les Robinson.

Evan Lepler informed us during the game that Wake Assistant BJ McKie played under Radebough at South Carolina then worked as an assistant for him at Charleston. So that seems to be the connection.

Sick pass from Williams on the break, but Hildreth couldn’t finish.

Nice pass to LaRavia from Whitt for the dunk on the previous play.

LaRavia a lot more aggressive tonight.

Back