• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MBB Game 32: ACCT Time -- #13 BC v. #5 WF: Wednesday - 2:30 pm - ESPN

Of course we played awful. Good teams play awful and win all the time, and that would have happened today with competent referees.

Fun stat: after Grant got the whiny ass technical foul in the 2nd half, BC outshot Wake 13-5 for the rest of regulation from the line including a 9-0 run immediately after. Totally incompetent, possibly corrupt.

Refs were inconsistent, but favored the Deacs. It was a hack fest out there, and we were doing most of the hacking. My favorite was in the first half when Alondes hit the dude in his face and the dude who got hit was whistled for a foul.

In the end, it's lame to blame the refs in a game against a 13 win team. Hit our free throws at an even marginally competent rate and we win in spite of the bad play overall.

Sad and disappointing loss. Hard to watch when we came out disinterested and basically just foundered around with so much on the line. The voters watch film of this and no way we get in the tournament.

Gotta be 50/50 at best to make the NCAAs, no? Lower?

Probably lower, this is going to significantly undercut our strengths in the metrics and give us a bad loss when we didn't have many before

Other teams play their way into the dance.... we play our way out. :tear:

A little quick maybe on that big extension. Would have liked to have seen at least one ACC tournament win and maybe 1 traditional recruiting class that was substantial. But it has been a great regular season compared to the last 10

I mean, you have the player of the year who is made for that situation. I get it in retrospect, but that's his play.

I mean, you call the timeout because this team was playing with absolutely no chill the entire game. You regroup. You calm everybody down. Draw up a play. It's just coaching 101.

Losing this game is just……..holy fuck. I thought we were done with the last decade. Fucking fuck.

Anyway, we didn't lose bc of a timeout or refs. We just stunk.

Probably lower, this is going to significantly undercut our strengths in the metrics and give us a bad loss when we didn't have many before

Bad loss sunk them. It was gonna be close without this shart

I mean, you call the timeout because this team was playing with absolutely no chill the entire game. You regroup. You calm everybody down. Draw up a play. It's just coaching 101.

This, the last 10 minutes we looked like we were choking it away. Needed a play.

Yeah, it's a no brainer. Greg Gard just did the same thing against Nebraska and it ended up with a shit shot. You call the timeout, every time, with that much time left on the clock.

really sucks. i don't think we should try to draw too many conclusions by a single game though.

This wasn't a single game. We've had a bunch of halves and several games (Clemson, Syracuse Louisville) where we've played like garbage on both ends - especially the defensive end. In some of those games we've been able to offset the bad halves with really good halves. But the fact of the matter is this team is very capable of playing like crap. And we've got a bunch of players that can be really on or off - and when multiple of them are off at the same time. we're just not that good. In this game, we were doing the same bad things on defense that we've seen throughout the season - mainly guys like Williamson, Williams, etc. diving out at guys on the perimeter and letting them drive right past them.

Last play of regulation was so damn Danny Manning. Predictable. No imagination. He should have set up a pass to Jake or Monsanto.

BC is 12-16 in the ACCT all time (I believe they said that). Wake is 8-26 over the last 26 years.

What's funny is our FT line tonight is actually better, way better in fact, than our ACCT record over the last 26 years.

Refs were inconsistent, but favored the Deacs. It was a hack fest out there, and we were doing most of the hacking. My favorite was in the first half when Alondes hit the dude in his face and the dude who got hit was whistled for a foul.

In the end, it's lame to blame the refs in a game against a 13 win team. Hit our free throws at an even marginally competent rate and we win in spite of the bad play overall.

This is a joke. We were the physical, more aggressive team, yet got called on countless touch fouls away from the basket while the POY (and others) got mauled at the rim.

Of course we should have won regardless and our guys played/coached like shit. As a fan, I’ll choose to direct most of my ire towards the old, incompetent, supposedly-unbiased “professionals” over our own.

Losing this game is just……..holy fuck. I thought we were done with the last decade. Fucking fuck.

This is different than the last decade. Except for 2017, WF has had zero expectations heading into the ACCT. Even 2017, WF lost to a worthy VT team. Losing to a rebuilding BC team that had played the day before and is lacking in comparable talent is really unacceptable. If WF blew a 10 point lead with 6 minutes left against Gonzaga, that would be bad enough, to do it against a BC team that is in rebuild mode and not a top 100 team is nauseating.

Back