• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MBB Game 4: LaSalle Explorers - Friday 2pm - CBS Sports Network

stupid question...was the game against Utah Valley considered part of this tournament? Or just a a weird break that the team we just played is also in the same tourney.

Yeah my understanding is these tournaments operate one of two ways overall:

1) for the MTE you can play 3 games that only count as 1 for NCAA purposes which allows/incentivizes teams to play in these early season events for a shot at a couple extra wins. Since Jamaica is a two game event on site, adding a third game for everyone maximizes this value and/or

2) some of these events require teams to play an additional matchup against who would be considered a “lesser” team also participating in the event in some way. Helps fill out scheduling for teams and get a quality matchup for smaller schools.

I think this one is pretty firmly the former but some events that have 3 guaranteed games on site will also have a “Jamaica Classic” game on campus where a main bracket team plays a “lesser” opponent.

Jersey Mike's Jamaica Classic!

Today:
Queens/Green Bay - 11:30am
LaSalle/Wake Forest - 2pm
Loyola Marymount/Georgetown - 4:30pm
Utah Valley/Morgan State - 7pm

When does Wake play next?
Win: Sunday @ 2:30pm
Lose: Sunday @ 12pm

God the teams in this tourney suck so bad. I hope we can get in somewhere better next year.

Yeah my understanding is these tournaments operate one of two ways overall:

1) for the MTE you can play 3 games that only count as 1 for NCAA purposes which allows/incentivizes teams to play in these early season events for a shot at a couple extra wins. Since Jamaica is a two game event on site, adding a third game for everyone maximizes this value and/or

2) some of these events require teams to play an additional matchup against who would be considered a “lesser” team also participating in the event in some way. Helps fill out scheduling for teams and get a quality matchup for smaller schools.

I think this one is pretty firmly the former but some events that have 3 guaranteed games on site will also have a “Jamaica Classic” game on campus where a main bracket team plays a “lesser” opponent.
The format of this MTE is Jamaican me crazy!

How does a tournament like this possibly make money. Just the TV rights?

How does a tournament like this possibly make money. Just the TV rights?
The resorts that host them make money by having fans come and stay there during Thanksgiving. That works for the the Battle for Atlantis when programs who travel like Kansas, Tennesse, Wisconsin and Dayton (yes, Dayton has a big following) play.

Not sure how well thought out the Jersey Mike's tourney is as they invited LMU, Queens, Morgan State and bunch of teams that don't draw fans to even their home games.

It doesn't take massive numbers of fans traveling to fill some of these resort complexes. I suspect the UVU contingent at Wake is only part of e contingent going to Jamaica. Wake will send its share. It's not always about having 10 -15,000 fans at a game. It's about having 500 - 1000 fans who will travel to a place like Jamaica.

WFU -7.5; 142.5

Both probably a pass for me.
If I had to bet either I would go under 142.5 I think. They should have issues with our length and our offense has been ungood thus far. I would stay away from that spread for sure.

I'd take JP Mass for sure since it's in the neighborhood for me. Same feelings on Fenway Bowl

Looking forward to this one. Hopefully we come out with a lot of energy playing on a neutral court and punch them in the mouth right away. GO DEACS!!!!!!!!

Queens beating Green Bay in a game that means absolutely nothing to us aside from the fact that it is on the same court that we'll be playing on in about 45 minutes.

FINISH IT UP, BOYS!

Seems really bizarre that they would have the Lesser teams playing the night games in the second round.

Seems really bizarre that they would have the Lesser teams playing the night games in the second round.

I thought that, too... But it is a Sunday night and it allows us to GTFO of Jamaica earlier in the day.

And since we won the game getting Utah Valley was very fortunate because they're at least a decent computer rated team.

They have a four team tournament on Friday and Sunday at 4:30 and 7:00.

Pretty ugly. VT just beat survived #34 Penn State. The ACC has been the worst conference in the nation ATS so far. Louisville and FSU going a combined 0-6 SU and ATS (favored in 5 of the 6) does not help.

Back