• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MBB Game 5: LMU Lions Sunday 2:30 pm - CBSN

Its ridiculously humid and hot in Jamaica this week.

Especially coming from non humid Winston Salem.

If Williamson had cramps or back spasms related to hydration, and that clearly hurt us.

Fail.

But let's assume dehydration contributed to unforced turnovers, not grabbing defensive rebounds and missing free throws.

I blame the visit to Flanagan's beach bar last night and these two clowns showing up at shoot-around.

Cocktail%2B7.JPG

Y’all know this game was played in a resort ballroom right? I don’t think the heat and humidity was messing with them much.

The players screwed up in various ways but when it’s this early in the season and they’re learning to play together, that situation all the more calls for a steady hand of coaching, especially in end of game situations.

Which was lacking today.

5 games in and I need a fucking break. An innate ability to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, our teams have. I never learn my lesson. I’m just gonna check back in in a few weeks. Fuck this.

Michigan just fouled the Ohio player when up by 3. Can't believe Juwan is smarter than Steve.

This seems basically in line with what we have been doing so far. Competitive with so-so teams, instead this time we didn't pull out the win. We are small, don't shoot particularly well, are less experienced than last season.

Don't think its realistic to expect much more this season unless Ituka is All-ACC type player.

Last season we were an elite 2PT% team with a lot of size and playing experience. That wasn't good enough for a bid. This season we are... ? I don't think this team has any kind of identity yet.

I mean, he called a timeout to set up a final play and Cam just drove straight into a double team and threw up garbage. You can argue fouling up 3 but we had guys who played well most of the game suddenly melt down. Not sure how Forbes could predict that. I'd have liked a timeout the moment Cam got doubled in the corner I guess. Players just choked, that game should have been a cakewalk to close.
Giving it to Hildreth on the last play was a one time mistake, I hope. Bone headed move by Forbes

Couple hours in the rearview and this feels like a fluke. LMU isn't good but they're also not awful and it's basketball. They had a guy catch fire (2nd game in a row, which is a little worrisome), but we followed the script and built a lead in a mostly dominant 2nd half. Appleby had what should have been a game-sealing steal and got shouldered - in a clear foul situation by the way - and somehow no call is made. I don't have any idea how Appleby lost the ball on those two basic screens - maybe Marsh is just giant and he dribbled it off his foot or whatever - but Appleby has been plenty clutch so it seems like an outlier. And even still, just hit one free throw and we skate (and Marsh was 9/12 from the line last year, what the hell happened). We showed some grit coming back in OT, Monsanto and Cam had some big plays as did Marsh...

Looking around the ACC you've got UNC/Duke/UVA obviously - but it's a mess after that. Kenpom suggests VaTech is good, but they just lost to College of Charleston who is no better than LMU. Maybe Miami is good but they just got stomped by Maryland. After that it's a jumbled mess of mediocrity. Notre Dame barely beat Lipscomb at home... If Ituka makes it back to shoulder some of Appleby's load, and the Keller/Klintman duo keep developing - there's still a pretty good ceiling this team could reach even if the conference is generally bad.

Don't see why Keller is playing so much. He's not strong enough yet.

Somewhat ironic that the guys that didn’t make the key plays were the ones that kept us in the lead and in position to win.

Appleby 19/8/8 but 2 of his 5 tos were in the last minute.

Marsh has best game at wake but misses key fts and a put back.

Cam hit a couple of big shots and fed marsh but has the to and the poor last shot.

Stayed away from the boards because I watched the game on delay... And then I just didn't want to talk about it once it was over.

Super depressing and disappointing. All that work to climb back from down 10 points to up 8 with 1:46 to go... Wasted. We had a 98.9% win probability with that 8 point lead and somehow blew it with a comedy of self-inflicted errors.

Everything has already been discussed... No sense in rehashing.

Next 2 games should be 20+ victories. Hopefully everyone can get healthy and Jao can get some minutes ahead of Wisconsin/Clemson/LSU, which are all important games.

One random comment... The strength coach at LMU is doing his job. Leaupepe and Shelton were a couple of BIG dudes.

Forbes said that they went to Jamaica to win and to come back with the tourney hardware.... D'oh!! :(

Back