• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MBB Game 8: Northwestern Wildcats @ LJVM: 9 pm ESPNU Tuesday

Yeah also this. Even in our worst years, we'd mostly fill the lower level in a game like last night. The attendance issues are directly related to the pandemic.

LOL if you think that the attendance is directly bc of covid.

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/...ination-status?facet=none&country=18-29~18~18

I still wear my mask when I'm in a business or classroom or church or whatever as a courtesy but this chart shows why I do not at the Joel, in addition to transmission being so unlikely in such a large and open air building. As of the most recently available CDC data, dating to October, the death rate for 100,000 fully vaccinated 18-29 year olds is 0.0 per 100,000. You can toggle through other age groups and find your own. At the older age groups the J&J shot lags a little behind, but this paints a good picture.
Don't let rhetoric from either side of the political spectrum or the 24 hour news cycle lead you away from the science. Obviously misinformation downplaying covid from one particular political party was more prevalent and harmful for the majority of the pandemic, but there is also misinformation and misguided fear coming from other sources. Infectious disease experts are obviously the leading source on anything related to covid, however you have to understand that a person who has dedicated their life and career to studying such diseases is likely to overstate the importance of their work and the risks. It is a natural and perfectly benevolent bias, but it is there. Supplementing info from trusted infectious disease experts with input from mental health, economic, and parenting experts (for families) can paint a more full picture.

Masks are to help protect everyone else.

I expect that basketball attendance will increase significantly once football season is over. It's a big ask for people to travel for a Tuesday night game that's going to end at 11:30 pm when most of those same people are likely travelling for the ACCCG on Saturday.

Jeffrey [Redacted] is a lot like covid. Seemingly harmless at first glance, but the more the he breathes the same air as others, the faster he kills a once healthy team .

I expect that basketball attendance will increase significantly once football season is over. It's a big ask for people to travel for a Tuesday night game that's going to end at 11:30 pm when most of those same people are likely travelling for the ACCCG on Saturday.

I agree with this. We also need to keep stacking up wins because the casual fan still has to be won back over.

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/...ination-status?facet=none&country=18-29~18~18

I still wear my mask when I'm in a business or classroom or church or whatever as a courtesy but this chart shows why I do not at the Joel, in addition to transmission being so unlikely in such a large and open air building. As of the most recently available CDC data, dating to October, the death rate for 100,000 fully vaccinated 18-29 year olds is 0.0 per 100,000. You can toggle through other age groups and find your own. At the older age groups the J&J shot lags a little behind, but this paints a good picture.
Don't let rhetoric from either side of the political spectrum or the 24 hour news cycle lead you away from the science. Obviously misinformation downplaying covid from one particular political party was more prevalent and harmful for the majority of the pandemic, but there is also misinformation and misguided fear coming from other sources. Infectious disease experts are obviously the leading source on anything related to covid, however you have to understand that a person who has dedicated their life and career to studying such diseases is likely to overstate the importance of their work and the risks. It is a natural and perfectly benevolent bias, but it is there. Supplementing info from trusted infectious disease experts with input from mental health, economic, and parenting experts (for families) can paint a more full picture.

I still wear a mask where required also but I understand that if I am in a public setting with thousands of people I am going to encounter people not wearing masks.

Masks are to help protect everyone else.

I understand this and I'm not like a crazy anti vax anti mask guy I just see that the CDC has said a group of all vaccinated people does not need to be masked. If a person chooses to not be vaccinated, I don't feel obligated to protect them by wearing my own mask. Regardless this is a basketball thread and I am excited with the win last night but think we need to improve in rebounding and moving the ball. When we are able to move the ball on offense we consistently get good looks, and when we don't we rely on difficult iso drives and contested jumpers.

I agree with this. We also need to keep stacking up wins because the casual fan still has to be won back over.

This. Casual fans don’t look in-depth to the box score or care if someone was out of position or if they missed a rebound. They look at the score and the win/loss record. Beat those cupcakes and then give the acc hell.

WF's home ACC schedule:

Dec. 22: BC
Jan. 4: FSU
Jan. 8: Cuse
Jan. 12: Duke
Jan. 22: UNC
Feb. 2: Pitt
Feb. 12: Miami
Feb. 19: ND
Feb. 26: L'ville
Mar. 2 State

Duke and UNC will always draw large crowds (and opposing fans), and if WF is playing well through February, the last 3 games could draw crowds for a fun home environment. Otherwise, think LJVM is going to feel pretty empty for most of WF's home conference games.

Don't think the crowd will be an issue as long as Forbes wins. It was a lost decade with constant RW gaslighting that demoralized a fan base. That will take a bit to bring back fans. But winning cures all.

I still wear my mask when I'm in a business or classroom or church or whatever as a courtesy but this chart shows why I do not at the Joel, in addition to transmission being so unlikely in such a large and open air building.

Super spreader events have occurred in both large and small buildings. On March 10th, 2020, the University of Vermont played their last basketball game of the year. 3200 hundred people attended and at least 54 developed COVID. 3 died. Those that became sick were mainly in two sections. COVID can definitely spread in a basketball arena - I would not trust LJVM ventilation to prevent COVID spread. You can read about the VT game here https://vtdigger.org/2020/06/21/the-deeper-dig-how-covid-19-spread-at-a-uvm-basketball-game/

Sy just kinda had a mental meltdown last night. That wide open fast break opportunity he missed in the lane was just bizarre. Hopefully a one-off for him.

I think a lot of the players on both teams were frustrated. I didn't see a lot of ticky-tack calls, but there were a ton of no calls. If I had to choose, I'd rather just let them play through, but some players handled it better than others. I can't remember the name or number, but one of the NW post players almost lost his mind a few times. We lost Alondes for a couple possessions and I'm surprised he didn't get T'd up after he got mugged going to the basket, gave the ref a puzzled look, yelled something along the lines of "are you fucking kidding me ref?!?!" running back down the court, and then spent the entire defensive possession staring down the ref until NW fortunately turned the ball over.

Like people have said, there were some tough no calls on both sides, but I'm glad we ultimately held it together long enough to get the W. Whether the ACC is down or not, one thing you can always count on is to get boned by the refs in places like Cameron and the Dean Dome, so best get used to it and let Forbes fight those battles for you.

I think Sy will recover fine, and you guys are being a little harsh on Walton considering they were packing it in pretty tight as opposed to LSU and KSU playing aggressive out on the perimeter and in the passing lanes. The defensive rebounding from Walton was mildly concerning.

Last edited:
Super spreader events have occurred in both large and small buildings. On March 10th, 2020, the University of Vermont played their last basketball game of the year. 3200 hundred people attended and at least 54 developed COVID. 3 died. Those that became sick were mainly in two sections. COVID can definitely spread in a basketball arena - I would not trust LJVM ventilation to prevent COVID spread. You can read about the VT game here https://vtdigger.org/2020/06/21/the-deeper-dig-how-covid-19-spread-at-a-uvm-basketball-game/

I remember reading that study 18 months ago

this is not the right thread for this, but if you don't trust the LJVMC ventilation system, and you don't trust the vaccine, you probably shouldn't trust a cloth mask, particularly if you plan to pull it down to eat or drink

WF's home ACC schedule:

Dec. 22: BC
Jan. 4: FSU
Jan. 8: Cuse
Jan. 12: Duke
Jan. 22: UNC
Feb. 2: Pitt
Feb. 12: Miami
Feb. 19: ND
Feb. 26: L'ville
Mar. 2 State

Duke and UNC will always draw large crowds (and opposing fans), and if WF is playing well through February, the last 3 games could draw crowds for a fun home environment. Otherwise, think LJVM is going to feel pretty empty for most of WF's home conference games.

Absolutely. January is a really tough stretch of games but if we can stay afloat into February and the games have actual meaning for the first time that late in the year since 2017 we can get a good crowd in the Joel for sure. Football is taking people's focus and their time and money right now but in February everybody's focus will be on basketball. That Duke game will have an incredible student turnout, as it's during syllabus week and we beat Duke at home last time we had a crowd. The UNC game will also be a big student draw. The real question is how much the rest of our fanbase is willing to get out and support the Deacs for those games, and I think if we're winning a decent amount and playing good basketball it will be a big improvement so long as we can continue to return to normalcy. That home game vs State to end the year will be a lot of fun if we are still in the hunt for postseason play and battling for seeding in the ACC tourney.

Last edited:
This. Casual fans don’t look in-depth to the box score or care if someone was out of position or if they missed a rebound. They look at the score and the win/loss record. Beat those cupcakes and then give the acc hell.

Exactly. We know this team is fun and has a lot of potential because we watch the games. Your average professor, local alumnus, or student just thinks we're beating up on teams that we should be beating up on. That's true, but we see the bigger picture. One or two staple ACC wins and we can turn some heads. I thought that for a concerningly small crowd last night, we created a decent atmosphere, despite some fans with the usual look of disinterest or disdain for excitement. Double that number of fans and the place would have been rocking.

What is attendance looking like for others in the ACC?

Reported attendance for ACC teams hosting Big 10 challenge games:

Iowa at UVA: 13,542
Indiana at Cuse: 21,330
Minnesota at Pitt: 7,736 (at least 75% of that figure dressed up as an empty seat)
NW at WF: 3,711

No one has given a shit about Wake basketball for years and years now. Remember all the talk during the Bzzz and Manning eras about how the horrible hires by Wellman set Wake basketball back ____ number of years? Well it wasn’t just talk. Wellman, [Redacted] and Manning really did destroy Wake basketball. It’s going to take a lot of winning over a sustained spell to get butts back in seats. A late November game against Northwestern ain’t going to do it after a trail of cupcake wins. Those clowns absolutely gutted the program. Forbes seems cool but there is a long fucking way to go.

Exactly. We know this team is fun and has a lot of potential because we watch the games. Your average professor, local alumnus, or student just thinks we're beating up on teams that we should be beating up on. That's true, but we see the bigger picture. One or two staple ACC wins and we can turn some heads. I thought that for a concerningly small crowd last night, we created a decent atmosphere, despite some fans with the usual look of disinterest or disdain for excitement. Double that number of fans and the place would have been rocking.

The students that were there last night were great! Calling that guy "blueberry" and riding Collins for going on the floor so much was excellent.

No one has given a shit about Wake basketball for years and years now. Remember all the talk during the Bzzz and Manning eras about how the horrible hires by Wellman set Wake basketball back ____ number of years? Well it wasn’t just talk. Wellman, [Redacted] and Manning really did destroy Wake basketball. It’s going to take a lot of winning over a sustained spell to get butts back in seats. A late November game against Northwestern ain’t going to do it after a trail of cupcake wins. Those clowns absolutely gutted the program. Forbes seems cool but there is a long fucking way to go.

I think the fans will come back sooner than expected if we get ranked/are on the bubble. I remember going to the wake Louisville game in Winston in Mannings third year. The house was absolutely packed and rocking. Won the game, got in the last four and promptly exited never to be seen again.

Back