• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

McCreary Indoor Practice Center - Collegiate Arms Race Thread

10767025.jpg

How old is the Miller Center? Can't be more than 12-15 years. Why do we need a new basketball practice facility? Does any of this stuff lead to actual wins and program growth.

No idea why we're building another basketball facility. I guess the Men's team wants a separate gym from the Women's? Don't know why we don't move everything BB related to the Joel since we ponied up and bought it a few years back. Could help with the Free Throw problem too.

"The new athletics center will also feature a brand new basketball practice facility that is dedicated solely to the men’s basketball program."

May I ask how this differs from what we already have in the Miller Center? And if it does differ, what becomes of the Miller Center? (It seems we've had these dedicated facilities and then learn later that they were half-assed in some way.)

My understanding is that the new facility will be solely for the men's team and that the Miller Center will be dedicated to the women's team.

http://wakewill.wfu.edu/inspire-excellence/basketball-practice-gym

Current plans call for the construction of a new basketball practice gym adjacent to Budd Gym that would connect the existing Miller Athletic Center with the planned Sports Performance Center. The construction of an additional basketball practice gym will enable the men’s and women’s basketball programs to avoid scheduling issues that make sharing one facility challenging. Head coaches Danny Manning and Jen Hoover expect the new practice gym will have a positive impact on the competitiveness of both the men’s and women’s teams, as well as provide a significant recruiting advantage.

Don't know why we don't move everything BB related to the Joel since we ponied up and bought it a few years back. Could help with the Free Throw problem too.

I don't think forcing kids to drive or find rides to the Joel every day, often multiple times per day, makes sense if it can be avoided. Plus, the Joel does still get used for other events from what I understand.

Last edited:
I don't think forcing kids to drive or find rides to the Joel every day, often multiple times per day, makes sense if it can be avoided. Plus, the Joel does still get used for other events from what I understand.

Monorail.

$25,000 for a dedicated shuttle bus sounds a hell of a lot smarter than a million dollar redundant gym. But I'm no Ron Wellman.

The Tennis teams do it. They did quite well this year too.

$25,000 for a dedicated shuttle bus sounds a hell of a lot smarter than a million dollar redundant gym. But I'm no Ron Wellman.

That might work fine for scheduled practices. Not so much for individual practice. And it doesn't solve the "other use" issue of LJVM. There's also the recruiting aspect to consider when it comes to competing for top athletes (something we admittedly haven't done in a long while).

The Tennis teams do it. They did quite well this year too.

Good for tennis. No reason to force that less than ideal situation onto the basketball teams if there's the ability to keep that facility on campus proper. The tennis facility is a recruiting tool for tennis. Practicing at LJVM would not be the same for basketball.

I wonder what the practice schedule looks like between tennis and basketball. I don't remember my buddy who played tennis being tied up all that much.

Good for tennis. No reason to force that less than ideal situation onto the basketball teams if there's the ability to keep that facility on campus proper. The tennis facility is a recruiting tool for tennis. Practicing at LJVM would not be the same for basketball.

I wonder what the practice schedule looks like between tennis and basketball. I don't remember my buddy who played tennis being tied up all that much.

Obviously some improvements would be needed to make the Joel better in terms of recruiting. I just think practicing your shooting and your free throws where you actually play your games make a lot of sense. Duke does it. UNC does it. Others do it.

In terms of these "other events" at the LJVM... they're mostly very small concerts and some graduations or proms.

To be honest, the total growth is not all that much. Averaged about +90 per year over a 20 year period......including all undergrad and post grad.
It seems like the investments/growth in facilities has been significantly outpaced the student population growth.
Guess that's a key reason why the cost has increased so much.

The point is that there is no rule that says we have to (or had to) grow at all. We are slowly losing our uniqueness.

The point is that there is no rule that says we have to (or had to) grow at all. We are slowly losing our uniqueness.

We are still the smallest P5 school - I'd say that's pretty unique.

Obviously some improvements would be needed to make the Joel better in terms of recruiting. I just think practicing your shooting and your free throws where you actually play your games make a lot of sense. Duke does it. UNC does it. Others do it.

In terms of these "other events" at the LJVM... they're mostly very small concerts and some graduations or proms.

There's nothing that prevents the team from getting in practice time at the Joel. But it's not in any way optimal as a dedicated practice facility. Players can't just drop in to the Joel to watch film, work on shooting, etc.

When UNC practices in the Dean Dump with all of the seats pushed back, different practice goals (the pictures I've seen show different goals with none of the logos, camera mounts, etc that are used in a game) and no crowd, I don't think they're gaining any sort of massive practice advantage simply because they're on the same floor.

There's nothing that prevents the team from getting in practice time at the Joel. But it's not in any way optimal as a dedicated practice facility. Players can't just drop in to the Joel to watch film, work on shooting, etc.

When UNC practices in the Dean Dump with all of the seats pushed back, different practice goals (the pictures I've seen show different goals with none of the logos, camera mounts, etc that are used in a game) and no crowd, I don't think they're gaining any sort of massive practice advantage simply because they're on the same floor.

It doesn't have to be a massive advantage for it to simply make sense.

It's just baffling to me that we go out and buy the old coliseum that needs massive improvements for whatever we bought it for and then plan to construct an entirely new facility on campus.

Back