• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

McDaniel vs. Cochran

Wrangor

Go Deacs
Reaction score
Perhaps I am the only one who cares about this, but it will be very interesting to see the results of the run off today. In my heart of hearts I am hoping that Mississippians have enough of a brain to not vote out the most powerful member of our state in exchange for a child who is going to act like an idiot for 6 years. But I am probably expecting too much (here come the FIFY's).

The ads have been especially nasty in the past 2 weeks. Cochran has been openly asking for the support of democrats, and McDaniel has been lying and then lying some more. Both sides have stretched the truth in advertisements (my opinion is McDaniels is the worse offender). Pretty much every important Mississippi politician in the present and past has publicly made statements in support of Cochran, whereas McDaniels has the Tea Party Rat Pack following him around (Huckabee, Santorum, Palin). I sure hope we have enough sense to re-elect the senator who will in all likelihood be the Senate Majority Leader in about 6 months.

does anything good come out of Mississippi?

elvis-lin-petershagen.jpg

I win.

Cochran has been openly asking for the support of democrats, and McDaniel has been lying and then lying some more. Both sides have stretched the truth in advertisements (my opinion is McDaniels is the worse offender). Pretty much every important Mississippi politician in the present and past has publicly made statements in support of Cochran, whereas McDaniels has the Tea Party Rat Pack following him around (Huckabee, Santorum, Palin). I sure hope we have enough sense to re-elect the senator who will in all likelihood be the Senate Majority Leader in about 6 months.

Presumably McDaniels would be the more vulnerable general election candidate, so it says a lot about him if many Dems vote for Cochran in the run off. I get that the "Tea Party Rat Pack" still has some pull in deeply red states, but the GOP (and country) would be much better off if they either left the party or politics altogether.

Wrangor, are you concerned about Cochran's mental health? How does a US Senator not know about his party's #2 in the House losing in a primary?

Molly Ball did a story recently about Cochran, following around the campaign trail for a day - didn't take much reading between the lines to see that the reporter clearly thought that Cochran's faculties were slipping. http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2014/06/thad-cochran-the-last-of-the-naive-republicans/372084/

At a coffee shop here Monday morning, I watched as Cochran's staff moved him from place to place like a prop; Representative Gregg Harper, a supporter, had to remind him to greet patrons, and he was mostly silent as he shook hands, standing still and listening as Harper made conversation.

As he made his way toward the exit, the senator held out his hand to me. I had met and interviewed him less than half an hour before.

"Hello, how are you doing?" he said with a kindly smile. "I'm Thad Cochran."

Thanks, 923. It looks like the primary process in Mississippi is working how it's supposed to work. It's a shame they have to spend more money because of the absurd 50% rule.

Wrangor, are you concerned about Cochran's mental health? How does a US Senator not know about his party's #2 in the House losing in a primary?

Oh I definitely think that Cochran is starting to lose it a bit. That doesn't really effect his power in Washington or his ability to help our state. He deserves to win not only for his past history of service (a great ambassador for Mississippi) but also because during the next 6 years he will do much more good for our state than Cochran. So yes, he is starting to lose a step. But he is still light years ahead of McDaniel (who I think is not only incompetent, but lazy (worst attendance record of anyone in the state legislature), and dishonest (new lies and cover ups every week).

I have hesitated to make this known to my democratic friends in Mississippi, but I honestly believe that a large portion of sane Republicans will vote for Childers in the general election if McDaniels wins the primary. I know for certain that I will. The Tea Party must die, even if it costs the Republican Party some short term success.

Cochran is a legitimately solid senator who is pretty moderate and willing to help any Mississippian, regardless of race, gender, or party affiliation. I know countless people who have worked for him or with him, and I have yet to hear a bad testimony regarding his character.

I saw McDaniel on CNN. What an asshole! He was still in attack mode.

For those in MS, can he he get on the ballot as a third party? If so, his anger made it look he might try.

I don't believe he can. But I am sure he is looking into it. His problem is that if he does that he torpedoes his career. He will never win a statewide election after doing that.

But mcdaniels is probably dumb enough to try it. Who knows. Just glad that for now it looks like we have Thad back in office.

The Tea Party contributed nothing to Dave Brat's campaign, but claimed his victory as their own. They brought out their biggest "stars" in deeply red Mississippi, but couldn't get it done. Dems who voted for Cochran in MS were horrible, but Dems who voted for Brat in VA were OK-welcome to open primaries. Obama lost every county in Oklahoma twice, but the Tea Party backed Senate candidate lost by nearly 25 points. Tea Party got exactly what they deserved. Two separate parties on the right moves the Dem electoral college floor from 242 to 330+ and turns North Carolina, Indiana, Missouri, Georgia, and Arizona into swing states.

Sounds like McDaniel is going to sue. Even if he somehow gets on the ballot he'll be a pariah in the Senate and among MS elected officials. GOP doesn't want/need any more unhinged candidates (Akin, O'Donnell, Angle) saying stupid things and McDaniel was a prime candidate for that role. Cochran's seat is extremely safe and the GOP doesn't want a nuisance lawsuit and distraction. Cochran won't serve his full term and McDaniel's screwed up his chance to the appointed replacement. Tea Party hero, but does nothing for the GOP.

Back